1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Double D Shooting Clinic held at North Hollywood

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomlieb, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

March 6th and 7th I attended a Double D Shooting Clinic at the North Hollywood Sportsmans Club. Dennis DeVault, the country’s best stockfitter and custom stockmaker spent most of Saturday morning showing us all how our guns fit or needed fitting. He changes what he could with adjustable combs and butt pads and adjustable ribs and tried to patch what he couldn’t change until everyone felt they either had a good fit or understood what needed changing. Meanwhile, Dean DeBow, Kentucky Hall of Fame trapshooter, had each of us pattern our guns and he showed us where our gun’s POI was on paper and verbally explained each one.
    The weather was unusually wet so we tried to have classwork while it rained and shoot between showers. We spent the rest of the first day shooting singles. We had a class of 10 shooters, so Dennis would work with 5 and Dean would work with 5. Then they would compare notes and switch so each of us would get the benefit of two instructors. They didn’t do a lot of lecture and instruction, but closely observed each shooter and discussed what they felt needed discussion with each individual regarding that person’s shooting. At the end of the day, we were quite tired from the rain and shooting, but several of us got out to a great steak and seafood place for dinner in the local area.
    The second day we shot doubles in the morning. Dean DeBow gave a short demonstration of his doubles shooting. It was something of beauty to see how smooth he was. Two smokeballs before they got to the top of their rise. He can not only shoot doubles, but can explain them very well. Dennis actually taught me how to “trap” the first bird. That is really fun. Some shooters had never shot doubles and at the end of the session were raving about how much they enjoyed them. DeBow made an interesting statement that shooting doubles was great practice for shooting singles. He said that if you only have a little time to practice, it’s a good idea to practice doubles because it also improves your singles shooting.
    That afternoon, we shot handicap targets and that pretty much ended the program. Everyone was pretty tired at the end of the two days, but I noticed all smiles and confidence at the end. It was the nicest thing I have done for myself in a long time.

2. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Tomlieb I second that I went to one of the first classes and was amazed of the way the two professional men was so honest not trying to change you and make you shoot like them or someone else I believe you get every dollar + more for you're money for the class time and all the gun set up time, very intense when you finish at the end of the day like you said you are wore out, and can't wait to be back for the second day to continue on learning more. As for the knowledge of both they have been there and done that if you have a question ask it will be answered.I will be at a class for a refresher coarse every spring that I can you can't start a shooting season with out it that give you a edge you don't want to not have in between the eyes. Thank you Dennis and Dean for sharing you're knowledge with us and bringing it to a classroom set up. Patrick J. Krokonko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.