1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

double barrel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Ok, I have a question for the double gun guys. Can I get a barrel made for L.C., Ithaca nid,Fox, or parker in 45-70 to make a double rifle? Bill

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

There is a guy in Alaska who makes insert barrels for shotguns in a lot of calibers including, I think, 45-70. I think his email is ilred.com. Look up subcaliber adapters on your search engine and I think you'll get to him.

If you have enough money and time, you can get about anything you want made. I shudder to think what a set of complete barrels would cost but it would be fun. Winchester made a model 21 in 405 Win. some time back. It is in the museum in Cody. I lusted over that one. Maybe just coveted. Whatever.

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I have seen win 21 in that caliber. Wondering about having a barrel made not sleeved. Bill

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Check with Briley. They do an awful lot of high dollar retrofit.

HM

5. JLW

JLW TS Member

Bill- I saw a book advertised on that subject in the last couple of days but I can't remember where. I will have to think on that.

You might try asking on http://www.doublegunshop.com/. (edited address)

I thnk this place can help you for sure: http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/

Too, you could call Brownells and speak with one of their Technicians (mostly gunsmiths) or Google David Trevallion (gunsmith)or Michael McIntosh (author).

There is a man of note in Chassell MI., I beieve his last name is Silver (?). He lives west of town on Pike Lake Rd. or Pike Creek...something with Pike in it.

I remember in the late 60's there was a gunsmith in Flint; Joe Taylor, who was doing one although I can't remember the caliber. Joe was quite the carver too and his work is collected in this area now.-Jerald MI

6. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Bill,

Browning made a Superposed that was made in 30-'06. I think it was called a Continental Express (???). Valmet has made their O/U shotguns in double and combination shotgun/rifle calibers for years

I read an article 20 years ago about a gunsmith that built a set of 30-30 barrels for a Browning SxS. It was not, obviously, a commercial success, but it was definitely doable and made a quick handling woods gun.

One of the more modern SxS shotguns may be a better choice from a strength standpoint, but I am not expert in the strength of the various models.

Good luck with your venture.

HBT

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Bill, I would also try Simmons and see if they can advise/help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

superposed double rifle strength