1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DOUBLE BARREL FOR TRAP ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Any oldtimers on here that shot with a double barrel? What make of gun and how was it?

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to use a friend's M21 Winchester for a round of skeet. Great gun, pointed easily, smoked the targets .... kicked like a mule. I think guns like this are better suited for field use.

3. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Most of us shoot double barreled guns.
    Just not SxS.......

4. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Back in the day, maybe 50 years ago, The Winchester shooter Fred Missildine used a M21 for trap doubles. He won a few tornaments with it.

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Most side-by-sides have different stock designs than those on guns designed for trap and skeet shooting. SxS stocks are usually not designed with reduced felt recoil in mind or for the shooting forms used for trap and skeet and can cause problems during a long day of shooting.

Rollin

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bill, I've shot a cheaper sidexside at trap (Win. 24) and did pretty good with it considering the field stock. I did change the pitch and added a higher comb in order to shoot trap with it. A heavy days model pad and some black electrical tape and bingo-bango, I won some cash and trophies with it! I sure got ribbed though when the guys found out my "secret" to success! :) Of course that was many years ago when I was a youngster. Hap

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I am not an old timer unless you are comparing me to a high school kid. But i do own a M21 winchester and am trying to con a widow out of a Parker doubles gun. The model 21 will shoot doubles just fine.

8. JLW

JLW TS Member

There has been lots witten about bb'l flip on SXS's causing missed targets. I don't know the truth about that subject.

I suppose you'd want the bb'ls regulated so pattrns would cross/meet at a predetermined yardage; that distance which you normally break targets.-Jerald

9. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Well, it comes to mind that Purdy, Holland and Holland and many other of the most expensive and famous English guns in the world are S/S doubles. Indeed, Beretta, Perazzi and most of the great Italian gunmakers make a few VERY expensive S/S doubles. In fact, to this day, if you want to spend as much as possible on a shotgun you are probably going to be buying a S/S double.

Gee, I wonder if those guns shoot good? As my son would say: "Ya think?" Jake

10. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

In 1950, Mr. S.W.Brown of Fayetteville, NC took NC State HAA Championship with a score of 450 X 500. He was shooting a Winchester Mod 21. His nephew tells me, that it was a borrowed gun at that. J.Woolsey

11. reb87

reb87 TS Member

I enjoy old trap guns and shoot an Ithaca sxs trap gun made in 1902, Remington 1894 F grade trap, LC Smith Crown grade Trap. I shoot better with my old sbt guns though. Ross

12. reb87

reb87 TS Member

Here is my Crown LC Smith ST AE BT VR Trap gun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can i shoot skeet with a double barrell

double barrel for trap shooting

double barrel trap guns

double barrol trapshooting gun

double batrel trapshooting gun

sxs double barrels for trap shooting