1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dou u think you get 8#'s of powder ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Dou u think you get 8#

Just a curious question I have. or maybe I am cheap and suspicious. Anyhow, I have purchased 6-7 8# jugs of powder the past 3 years ... and I can only remember 1 jug where the cap had to "snap-free" when you twisted it off. Makes me wonder if someone was already in there ahead of me ... siphoning off some powder! Anyone ever feel the same way ?

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've bought more 8#'s (Hodgdon) that that and everyone were sealed under the cap.

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Easy---Weigh an empty jug and then weigh the full one---It should be close when you do the math---If not there was a skunk in the wood pile---George@SJB

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have bought new kegs of Promo w/no seal

GB
    DLS

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Perhaps you should find a new powder supplier if you can't trust them. I buy (2) 8# jugs of Green Dot at a time. They come (2) jugs per box. The box is sealed and the jugs are sealed. No worries.
    [​IMG]

6. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Red Dot/ Promo does not have seals under the cap anymore. Don't know about other manufacturers powders though.

7. broadwaybill

broadwaybill Member

Not sure about the powder but I know I get more number eight then seven and one half in a twenty five pound bag of shot.

Fifteen two and a pair is four.

Bill

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What Alliant Green Dot has, is a locking ring that separates from the cap itself like a gallon of milk. If that ring is compromised, it has been opened.
    [​IMG]

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Never received a jug with a compromised seal. I wouldn't think a high volume distributor would risk their business messing around with that kind of small time fraud.

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I reckon if the jug and powder weigh less than 8 lbs, you have a problem. That stuff isn't coming out of China or India now, is it? ;-)

Bob Falfa

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have reloaded REX powders for many years, and just opened my last 25# of REX I and REX II. The plastic bags the powder comes in just has a cord tied around the opening to keep the powder from escaping, nothing more. At one time, I actually weighed the bags and found that they ALL exceeded 25# by as much as a half a pound or more. I sure wish it was still available. While many thought it was a very dirty powder, I found that if I used a Federal primer I got a better powder burn than with other primers leaving my bore fairly clean.... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Never had a problem with new stuff from a store or supplier. I don't take a measuring cup to the gas station while I fill up my truck either. There have been many cases of cheating customers at the pump. I wouldn't buy powder from a non reliable source and just relax.

13. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Grntitan,
    Yep - that is what I am referring to. Good photo. I guess when I purchase a new 8# jug - I need to make sure that seal isnt broken before I take possession of it !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.