1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dots on Glasses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I am having trouble when shooting with both eyes open, my left eye seems to want to take over on angled birds. I was given the recommendation to try a dot on my glasses in front of my non-dominant eye. Is there a standard size for this dot or is the size of the dot irrelevant?

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

They are known as "Magic Dots" and you can buy a sheet of them on line for around 15 bucks. OR you can go up to Staples and get the EXACT same product, but 6 sheets for 7 bucks. I know because I've done it. They are 19mm circles that you place on your trouble eye and I've found them to work very well.

Jb

3. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

A piece of scotch tape will work too. Try holding a lower gun on station 1 and see if that helps. It helped me a ton. You see the target sooner and your non dominant eye doesn't seem to give as much trouble.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Go to an office supply store like "Tron" said. Make sure you get the see through dots as they allow some light through.

These are what you want. Perfect size.

[​IMG]

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I use a small square of translucent scotch tape. Mount your gun and have someone mark your glasses at the spot where it only blocks out the front sight. Mark

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Thanks for the info, I actually just made a bunch myself after posting the thread. Do I just shut my dominant eye and then put the dot on my non-dominant eye lens so that it block the bead from the vision of my left eye?

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Thanks for the info, now I just need to get out and see how much of a difference this makes!

8. fcolonna

fcolonna TS Member

I use a "glue dot", 1/2" diameter. May not work for you because of size. Any craft store will have them, $5 a 100.

Avery 1" clear mailing seals (they are actually translucent) will also work. $8 for 480.

9. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

I have better luck using black friction tape then translucent tape. I try to see through the translucent tape.

10. open choke

open choke TS Member

OMG I had no idea about the office supply store. I got ripped off by shotgun sports magazine I paid like 15 or 16.

It's the same exact thing on the same sheet. Oh well it's done wonders for me otherwise it would have been a lot of sad days on the line without that dot.

Just have someone look down the barrel UNLOADED GUN CHECK IT 3 TIMES and place the dot over your pupil while you are mounted.

TIP: place one on the inside and one on the outside so it makes it more opaque

11. open choke

open choke TS Member

Rich,

I got so caught up in the cost aspect I didn't ask what side you shoot with.

I'm a right handed shooter and I'm cross eye dominant so for me the dot goes on my left (dominant eye).

With both eyes open your focus is better even though you are blocking the other eye.

I don't know if this is the case for everyone else but for me, if I close my left eye my right (non-dominant) eyelid doesn't fully stay open and causes a slight blur in my vision and this is why I use the dot.

My mentor even said it's too much of a learning curve to shoot opposite side to go for the dominant eye if you are that uncomfortable with it

And if people say you you need 2 eyes that's BS cause I know a 96 avg doubles shooter and a 27 yard HDCP shooter who uses it; I didn't think their singles averages needed to be listed also

12. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'm a right hand shooter and right eye dominant.

I just got back from the range and shot two rounds. The first round was shot like a normal round and the second round was shot on station 3-5 throwing all hard rights. Usually with the right angled targets my eyes get all type of confused and I end up putting 2-3 feet of lead on the birds. With the dot today I didn't notice this problem and I felt more confident with both eyes vs. both eyes w/o the dot.

I'm going to stick with the dot for a few more months until I decide if I'm going to go back to one eyed shooting.

13. billn

billn Member

Go see an Eye Doctor, he can adjust your eye with glasses,

It helped my problem. And now i see better now then before with out the glasses for distant seeing.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

billn,

Just because you have a dominant eye does not mean you need corrective lenses. I certainly wouldn't want a corrective lense added to an eye that does not require it. Wearing corrective lenses on an eye that has no vision problems can lead to that eye then having vision issues.

15. open choke

open choke TS Member

Bill, I agree with grntitan.

I already wear contacts and I explained the whole situation to the eye doctor and he said we can't do too much about it as far as a lens perscription goes. I asked for a stronger lens so for kicks he gave me 2 sample contact lenses just for shooting of a -0.25 & -0.50 stronger for my right (non dominant) eye and and said I doubt that will solve the problem but try it.....the result was a FAIL.

As I said before for ME the eyelid not opening all the way killed my focus.

16. open choke

open choke TS Member

Tigman.....

There are instances when the non-dominant eye can partially take over.

My friend may be having this problem.

From what I heard about what your saying is to look to see if you are losing track of your targets mostly your left ones.

Try it what do you have to lose. Just follow the placement instructions so you get it in the right spot. But give it a chance shoot a couple of hundred rounds or do like 50 without and then 50 with it to start out.

Good luck let me know how you make out!

17. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Rich219, I have the same issue. For me, its all about seeing the target leave the house correctly, where I hold the gun, and how my brain process's the info. I can shoot the same club everyday of the week, and everyday can be different with the light conditions, and what all else I havent figured it all out yet.

Phil Kiner is the best resourse we have on this subject, and brain-storming with the man is always helpful. Other than that, we are all on our own to try and figure what works for us. When I'm seeing the targets right and all is good, I can be a tough shooter, but when that cross-fire thing gets in the way, all hell breaks loose.

The dot works for a lot of shooters, give it a try and let me know how you do with this please.

Matt Nicol

18. Joe Si

Joe Si Member

Instead of buying or making the dots (I've done both!) I put some vasiline on the tip of my finger and touch the left lense where I need to to block the left eye and voila, just my right eye sees the target.

After shooting, I just wipe the vasiline off the lense.

Regards to all,

Joe

19. skeezix

skeezix Member

Magic dots come with one dot that has a hole in the middle. This is to help locate the dot Assuming you're right handed so you're working on your left eye: Locate the dot with the hole in middle on the outside of your left lens so that the bead is approximately centered in the hole when you hold on a point. IOW, Mount the gun, close your right eye and hold the bead on an aiming point using your left eye. Locate the dot with a hole so that the aiming point is centered in the hole. When you get it figured out, then put a dot on the inside of your lens and remove the holey dot. If you're using the office depot dots - use a paper punch to knock the middle out of one.

One nice thing about the magic dots - they don't leave any kind of adhesive residue behind. So it's easy to move them around without having dust or tissue sticking to your lens.

You can do the same thing by using a dry erase marker and putting a dot on the outside of the lens that covers your aiming point.

I personally prefer a translucent dot that is colored similar to the lens. I find that it is less distracting than an opaque blob.

I'm a righty and horribly left eye dominant. I either have to learn how to shoot lefty, close my left eye, or use the dot. I use the dot. Eye dominance is easy to check, its about the first thing we do with a new shooter.

john

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
dots for trap glasses
dots on eye glass
red dots on eye glasses lens

shooting dots for glasses

tiny dots on glasses lens
translucengt dots for eye gallses
trap shooting dots on glasses
type of glasses that have two dots on side