1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dot My Eyes - Help With Handgun Sights

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by big joe, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big joe

big joe Member

Went to an indoor range to shoot my old model Smith and Wesson Model 39 9mm with a friend the other day. With my glasses on, the sights were clear and the target a blurry blob. With my glasses off the target was clear and the sights looked as fuzzy as a catapillar.

My friends auto had little white dots painted on each half of his rear sight and on the front sight. Gees that sure made a world of difference....I could almost shoot a decent group!

Couple questions... Whats the best way to apply some white dots or ??? to my sights. And second any ideas on seeing the sight picture better other than being 45 years younger?

Thanks Big..and old..Joe

2. clayaddict

clayaddict TS Member

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=116708&t=11082005

Try this Joe,it's a diopter that mounts to your eyeglasses. Lyman also makes one called the "Hawkeye" I have seen a lot of serious pistol shooters use them. You are looking through a small aperture. It really works for a farsighted person. J. Woolsey

3. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

Joe, getting older the eyes don't work like they did when I was 25. I went to a fiber optic front sight and painted the rear sight white. It seems to work all right for me. The company that had the sight was Brazos, at 1911store.com. I use the .060" red fiber optic.

Since we do not have any gunsmiths in our area I sent the slide to Nebraska and a smith did the work for a very reasonable price. As for three dots. They work great but if I were going that way I would replace the front and rear sights both and go with a night sight. It's a bit expensive but if you are shooting a lot it might be worth it. Michael

4. prairiewind

prairiewind TS Member

It sounds as though you need prescription lenses for shooting your handgun. I too must have prescription in order to see the front sight clearly and in focus. The target shouldn't be a "blurry blob" but should always be a bit out of focus or a "soft" focus, if you will, since proper handgun shooting reguires focusing and concentrating on your front sight.

Walmart Vision Center made a set for me especially for my handgun shooting but I know that Decot Hy-Wyd Sport Glasses also offers some specific things with their lenses particularly for rifle and pistol shooters. There are other alternatives but I doubt you will be nearly as satisfied with them as having a pair of glasses made just for your shooting, that is, if you want to shoot your best.

Good luck!

5. big joe

big joe Member

Thanks J.W, Mike and Prairiewind for the great ideas.

6. mt

mt Member

In addition, one might consider using optical sights...common in many of the defense / combat pistol competitions.

7. FelixD

FelixD Member

Sight alignment: Front sight centered and level in the notch of the rear sight.

Sight picture: Place the aligned sights on the target. Maintain an optical focus on the front sight. (Target will appear fuzzy.)

Trigger control: Move the trigger directly to the rear while maintaining alignment and focus.

8. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I use the Lyman Diopter, works well...Bill

9. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Big Joe, Give Alan Lehman (Decot)a call. Very helpful person. 1-800-255-0205--Steve.

10. big joe

big joe Member

Joe;
    With my glasses on, the target was so hopelessly blurry that it was impossible to make a clear determination just where the edge of the black was. The 3 dots on my friends sights were still blurry but with those I was able to get a decent sight alignment even with my glasses off. I think getting some white dots installed might be a good comprimise for now. Yes I shoot with both eyes open. Seems to work best for me.

Yup the model 39 is pretty neat. Ive never had a misfire or a failure to feed with it. Being 8 shot its comfortable in my hand.
    Thanks
    Joe

11. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Joe,

I've shot some Bullseye-pistol and competed locally with some success. I'm presbyotic as is most folks my age, and wear reading glasses at +1.25 to see the front sight clearly. I also use an adjustable iris made by Merit, it attaches to my glasses via a small suction cup. It helps with making the target more distinct.

What I found helped me the most is seeing the sights clearly (I only use iron sights, have not gone to dot's yet) and keeping the front sight centered in the notch of the rear sight.

My aim point is the bottom of the bullseye. This makes for a higher contrast area to aim for.

The target can be fuzzy, prove it to yourself by taking a piece of paper and a can of black spray point. Spray a round bullseye on the paper, about 6-7 inches in diameter, post it at 25yds and take a few shots. If you can keep the sights lined up through the shot, you'll stay in the black.

Trigger control - pressing the trigger without changing the sight picture, that was the hardest for me to master.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.