1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doornkop Trap Club, Johannesburg, South Africa

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hey gang,

Shot an "ATA style" trap shoot Saturday at Doornkop Trap Club in southwestern Johannesburg, not far from Soweto. Not really ATA, because there's really no ATA over here, but they shoot it like an ATA event. Singles only. No handicap or doubles. Nice small club. Good group of guys. Eleven guys shot. They're trying to make their "Provincial Team." I'm just trying to give them some competition. I tied for the best score, but I had to pull it out of a hat. I shot 4's on the first 4 stations, then shot 79 out of 80 the rest of the way. Tied for the best score of the day at 95. Not what I was hoping for, but I'll take it.
    [​IMG]

Trap 2, or what they call a "ball trap." Similar to wobble trap.

[​IMG]

Trap 1. Note the cover over the trap line. They don't shoot handicap here, so most of the clubs have only a 16 yard line.

[​IMG]

Friend Piero Farina (right) and Andre DuPlessis. Note tents in the background. The club is on a military base, and that's where some of the soldiers live.

[​IMG]

Me, breaking a hard left. I ran that round.

[​IMG]

Me, not breaking a target.

[​IMG]

Mattarelli trap machine. Don't get many of those back home. Seemed to throw OK targets.

[​IMG]

View looking at the clubhouse from the trap box.

[​IMG]

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Nice. Great to see how folks outside the US do it.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

What doe a round or trap cost? How much are shells. Are they made in SA? It looks like a nice place. How does your family like living there? Is the cost of living about the same?

4. skidrowe7

skidrowe7 Member

I bet it sure gets loud under that cover!

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Covered firing points are common in Olympic Trap. Noise is really not a problem. The shade is great especially in Floris during the summer.

Tom

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

shot410ga,

Clay shooting here is a bit expensive.

A round at this trap club is 50 Rand, or about $7.00 to $7.50, depending on the exchange rate. Other clubs are usually 60 Rand, or about $8.50 to $9.00.

A box of shells, depending on brand, usually goes for 60 to 70 Rand, about $8.50 to $10.00 a box. Pricey.

All the shells over here are European brand. RC, Clever-Mirage, Saga, Eley, Gamebore, Nobel Sport, etc.

Wife loves it over here. She has been on several photo safaris both in South Africa, and in neighboring Botswana. We've visited both the west coast and the east coast. Cape Town and Durban. Beautiful. Johanesburg is in a dry arid mountain region of the country. Elevation at my house is 5000 feet above MSL. I've gotten to do some hunting. Weather is amazing. Doesn't suck here.

Cost of living, if you want to live up to American standards, is higher on some things, lower on others. Cars are expensive. Groceries, if you buy local brands, are not bad. Houses, if you want to live in a secure, gated community (and thats a really good idea) are higher than the Midwest USA. Probably comparable to east coast or west coast.

I've got a pretty good contract over here, so the difference isn't felt in my pocketbook.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

skidrowe7

At this club, there was what seemed to be a sound deadening material attached to the bottom of the tin roof.

It didn't take long to get accustomed to shooting under the roof, and I really didn't notice any difference in the noise.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Tim, thanks, interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

doornkop shooting range

doornkop trap club