1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DON'T WATCH THE OLYMPICS!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ljutic73, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Don't watch the Beijing Olympics....spread the word...tell your neighbors not to also...the Chinese have the makings of a PR disaster with their handling of the protests in Tibet, the smog that is keeping some world class athletes away, closing factories to cut smog which will lead to an economic turn down, and a crop failure in the making due to the government diverting water away from crop land to Beijing to assure clean water for the games. The commies haven't changed their ways at all...they've just convinced the world that they have...terrible TV ratings would send a message.

2. KenC

KenC Member

And I still haven't heard that they have answered our concerns over the many "safe" food issues.

3. K-80BUD

K-80BUD TS Member

I don't think boycotting the Olympics is the proper way to send a message to China. Many of our athletes have worked their whole lives to compete in these game and made great financial sacrifices to be there. Boycott Chinese products and let them know why if you want to make an impact. Just MHO,

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

K-80BUD you said "MHO" I say you sir are right and not alone boycotting the Olympics will hurt know one but the Innocent athletes. It would make political pawns of them. They deserve better as did the USA Olympic Athletes that were not allowed to attend the Games that were boycotted by the USA under President Jimmy Carter I believe. It served no use full purpose.

Bob Lawless

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

The Olympics should not be political. Supporting a great runner is very different from supporting the ground he is running on.

Pat Ireland

6. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I completely agree with the above said reasons, but there is also the obvious one as in boycotting watching the olympics is going to work as well as not buying gas on a certain day, or not buying from one particular vendor. . . .

We as a nation have sold our souls, or at least our politicians have sold our souls for the almighty dollar. O.K. it was once almighty, now I guess it could be considered marginal at best next to the Euro. . .

Don't buy anything from China, well I guess you won't be buying anything!

7. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

That is something that I STILL fail to understand about the American consumer.

First -- they (the Chinese)killed and sickened countless of our helpless pets, by putting an ingredient found in rat poison in the pet foods they shipped to the U.S.

Next -- Millions of Christmas toys were found to contain lead-based paints.........something that we have not permitted for two generations -- at least.

And YET -- the American public continues to support these companies. I cannot fathom such ignorant allegiance to their penchant for saving a dollar or two.

What will it take? Does one of your own children or dog have to die to get you idiots to wake up? It's bad enough that (formerly) American-based outfits took millions of decent-paying jobs overseas in the interest of bigger profits. To then send inferior (or even deadly) products back here for comsumption is an act that defies any form of rationalization -- at ANY price.

Times are indeed difficult, and our paychecks seem to grow less-and-less able to keep pace. That is still no excuse to continue to support companies (MATTEL, for one) who helped put us in the shape we are in today.

I whole-heartedly agree with those who put forth the idea to boycott the purchase of "slant-eyed" goods. This will have a much greater effect than to simply not watch the 2008 Olympic Games.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>Pat Ireland, quote: "The Olympics should not be political. Supporting a great runner is very different from supporting the ground he is running on."</i><br>
    <br>
    The Olympics became politically motivated a long time ago. It's a competition between nations, not between individual athletes.

9. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

And YET -- the American public continues to support these companies. I cannot fathom such ignorant allegiance to their penchant for saving a dollar or two.

The US has always been a nation of individuals and individualists. They look out for themselves and their kin first. Their goal has always been to see how much they can get for the money they have to spend. Most Americans now think and plan only for the "short term" because they've lost faith in our leadership's ability to provide us with a path to a stable "long-term".

People with that mind set don't care who they buy from just as long as they get as many things for their money as they can on any given day. Their loyalties are short-term and their memories are too.

Morgan

10. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Bill says. . . "You say if we don't buy anything from China we won't buy anything at all. I say BULL, someone else will manufacture the goods we seek. The sad part is we won't require the proper import tax to even the trade and we will still be in the hole!!!!!"

Exactly, thank you that is my point, someone else name your third world under developed country . . . They will pick up production and will continue to manufacture crap that is harmfull to U.S. consumers, why? Because they can, because they know that because of the screwed up taxes, EPA & OSHA rules, and general labor laws that the U.S. is not going to produce general products on a mass scale like it did 40 years ago.

Change the tax laws and import tax laws to level the playing field, we need to make it beneficial for companies to set up shop in this country.

Boycot all you want, but untill the laws are changed, everyone but the U.S. is going to be making the stuff we want . . .

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Brian: I guess you have never played, been a part of a team. The Olympics are individual competitions but yes they are part of a Great Team - USA.

You tell the young men and women who have sacrificed much and given years of their lives to work towards this to just forget it so the Brians of the world can make a point and protest. If you don't get a lump and feel something when the Stars and Stripes goes up then I pity you. You don't need to watch as you don't have a country(team) in the game.

Buy pity-pot stock as it sounds like a bunch of you are going to buy them.

Don

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I guess I've really started someting here. That was the point. I very much appreciate the hard work atheletes put into thier sports. The point I was trying to make in my original post was that China is acting like hosting the Olympics and showing off the grand architectural and engineering feats they have achieved to stage the games makes all the human rights they have trodden on, the millions they have displaced, the thousands of murders of political prisoners they have commited, unimportant...or in true totalitarian fashion...they Chinese would say they never happened at all. I guess the ultimate culprit in all this is the International Olympic Committee for awarding China the games in the first place.

13. Alpha_Three_Niner

Alpha_Three_Niner TS Member

Interesting thread.

Bound feet, eunichs, concubines and 3,000 years of culture... China has emerged from the ancient world to the modern world in 100 years. I consider them to still be an emerging country.

Unfortunately, they were ruled by dictator whose communist leadership cost china 70 million lives (as well as the lives of many Americans including John Birch). Mao was a complete idiot. Look at the change this country has undergone in the last 30 years since Mao's death. This was done by the same leaders who were purged under Mao and barely escaped with their lives. A lot of leaders did die under his brutality.

From my experience, I have found the Chinese to be the most capitalist people on earth. The special economic zones are expanding and enabling the communist government to embrace capitalism (which is already practiced by it's people) in a controlled manner. China cannot adopt capitalism the same way Russia did in the early '90s. China is managing that transition.

So with the Olympic's coming up should I stick my head in the sand, or enjoy the sport and learn a little more about this emerging country and the Global Economy? I think I will watch.

Thank God and our fighting men, for the gift of Free Speech, and the freedom to make individual choices. It's great to be born with the gift of being a US Citizen.

14. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Terrible ratings would send a message to whom?

The Chinese? I doubt it.

The IOC - i doubt that too.

The US media companies that paid mega millions for the broadcast rights? Yep, that would be it - let's hurt our own domestic companies.

Boycott - what an incredibly naive and narrow view of the world.

Have you read the athlete's oath? Do you know any olympic athletes?

To do what you suggest is to dishonor the athletes, coaches and families who have spent years, sometimes their entire lives to get ready for this one moment.

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

It costs and average of 1.2 MILLION dollars to get a young athlete to the top tier at Intl' shooting. 1.2 mil for a gold medal. Generous contributors in OUR country pay this money.

Please watch and support our athletes.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>BIGDOPE, quote: "Brian: I guess you have never played, been a part of a team. The Olympics are individual competitions but yes they are part of a Great Team - USA.<br>
    <br>
    You tell the young men and women who have sacrificed much and given years of their lives to work towards this to just forget it so the Brians of the world can make a point and protest. If you don't get a lump and feel something when the Stars and Stripes goes up then I pity you. You don't need to watch as you don't have a country(team) in the game.<br>
    <br>
    Buy pity-pot stock as it sounds like a bunch of you are going to buy them.</i><br>
    <br>
    BigDope, politics IS pervasive in the Olympics. You must not remember your history very well. At one point the Taiwanese were refused admission to the Olympics in deference to the Chicoms. At one time the USA boycotted the Olympics. And there are plenty of other examples. This is a fact.<br>
    <br>
    But somehow your peanut brain has twisted this all around with the assinine conclusion that I'm not being patriotic because I said there was politics in the Olympics. That's a pretty pathetic attempt to slam me. But, then, we've come to expect that from you.<br>
    <br>

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

K80433SC you said "Does one of your own children or dog have to die to get you idiots to wake up?" That makes for very interesting reading. Now that you have told us that we are idiots why don't you tell us just how to fix the problem. Please give us your wisdom and tell us all how to correct the problem.

If the products that are contaminated with lead and rat poison were made in this country the manufacturer would be banned from selling those products until the problems were cleared up. The manufacturers of these products are American Company's yet the government has not stop the import of these products until the problems are cleared up. With that being said if you boycott the products of China what will you feed Fido? What will little Johnny play with?

Bob Lawless

18. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

The Chicoms are godless pagans and act as such when ever and where ever they get the chance. Letting them have the olympics was a political move and it was wrong. I won't be watching them. We (the US) have exactly what we deserve. The Chicoms are only acting according to type.

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I guess we are back to calling each other names well Brainless in Oregon the proper use of History is to learn from it. Just because it was wrong once does it make it right twice?? I seem to recall we went to Germany for the Games when a little twit by the name of Hitler was running the country, right or wrong. There is politics in everything involving this country, the point is to try and rise above it. If history repeats itself why would I expect any difference from you ie: Pat makes a statement now you have to come on with your cut and paste and attempt to prove him wrong.

Why don't you just become an isolationist and that way you don't have to worry about anything out of your backyard or do you??

Don

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Brian- You did make a sound point about the Olympics being a political event as a counter to my post. But, below I have copied my original post. Please pay particular attention to the word should. My post was written in the subjunctive mood.

The Olympics should not be political. Supporting a great runner is very different from supporting the ground he is running on.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.