1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't Want to Cut Down Custom Stock

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by buckwheat, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

I have a Wenig Stock I don't want to cut down to install a Gracoil. I'm using a mercury reducer, but it doesn't seem to perform as well. Has anyone milled out the back end of their stock to allow the installation of a recoil reducer?
    I'm pretty sure you'd have to check clearance for the stock bolt and mill the mounting and moving plate on the Gracoil to make the whole unit except for the pad reside within the stock. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Dan King

2. bgf

bgf Active Member

Another reason to carry two guns to a shoot. My release quit on me after 17 shots and they gave me time to retrieve my backup from the car.

Bernie

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

BuckyWheat ... why not contact Wenig and ask them for some advice. See if they can take that stock (since they made it for you) and see if they can install or modify it to exactly what you now desire.

Ya never know ... they could possibly do it all perfectly for you. Do you need there contact information?

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Years ago, before such things as Gracoils existed, I wanted to install a Timney pad adapter that was adjustable for LOP on my K-80 and didn't want the stock to be cut off right at the Monte carlo comb. I had the whole works inletted into the stock and holes to access the adjusting screws just like those for the adjustable comb placed on the right side of the butt. The unit was then covered by a aluminum buttplate with holes through which the unit's posts protruded. Everyone who saw it thought it was a factory installation. Doing it that way required removing less than a half-inch of wood.

Ed

5. oletymer

oletymer Member

A problem with inletting into the stock is the Gracoil has to compress to do its job. If you inlet to keep the length of pull you defeat the Gracoil. Just a thought. Karl

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Karl, that's true if you install the unit with the pad flush with the stock. In that case, why have any LOP adjustment? I'd inset the unit so the recoil absorbing piston housing is slightly below flush with the stock and the pad and piston protrude from the cover plate.

Ed

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Just an off the wall thought - you have a custom stock but the gun still hurts too much when shooting that you now need a gracoil. interesting... very very interesting. Just a scatter brained idea, but perhaps you need to see Wenig again. Tell them what is wrong and they can tweak the fit so the recoil reducer is not necessary.

8. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

Wenig did a great job on the stock. The fit is great. The recoil problem is mine not as a result of the stock. My old stock had a Gracoil installed. It shot as soft as a bb gun with 3 dram loads. I guess I'm just turning into a wuss in my old age. Average Ed, I think you hit the solution, but I'll contact Wenig before I do any hacking. Thanks to all for your responses.
    Dan King

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.