1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DON'T shoot the first reloaded shell?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenn mcleod, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I have observed that the first shell I load after I set up for a different formula is always 1-1 1/2 grains heavy. ie- I load 20.7 grains of Int'n Clays for a handicap load and the first one will come out 22 grains. After that they are almost always perfect at 20.7 grains. I always weigh the first couple shells and then each time I put in a new 100 primers and it's only the ist shell after new bushings have been installed do I observe this.Has anyone else noticed this? Some thing you might want to try to see if your reloader does the same. Glenn

2. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

When you dump the powder into the hopper, it packs tighter than normal.
    I simply operate my loader once and catch the powder after I fill my hopper, then proceed to load.

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I always put a shell over the powder drop tube and turn on the powder when I start. I remove it just as the first hull needs powder. That way I avoid too much powder in the first drop. If the machine [PW] is cycled with the powder turned off the first drop will always be heavier.

4. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

When I used to load on an 800C PW, my first shell would be on the heavy side. I don't remember the exact amount anymore, but both the powder and shot were heavy.

I just attributed it to the loader going 2 & 3 cycles before powder and then shot were dropped.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Cycling a P-W with the powder tube closed will indeed pack extra powder into the bushing creating a heavier-than-wanted first load. Since my loads aren't critically close to max I usually ignore the grain and just shoot the shell.

Whether or not adding powder to a hopper causes heavier drops at first depends on the loader and the baffle. I can refill a hopper in the middle of a loading session with my P-W 900 and experience no changes in drop weight. What I have noticed is that the drops get gradually heavier as I let the powder level drop below 1/4 full: the less powder in the hopper the heavier the drops become because the powder above the baffle is freer to sift down to the bushing when it's not held in place by its own weight.

MK

6. don q

don q TS Member

On my 800B I catch the powder drop in a 20ga shell 5 times and weigh each one. Usually by 5 times it will drop what my bushing is supposed to. Then every 50 shells I check it again. don q

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I always weigh the first two or three anyway, if they are heavy or light I cut them apart with garys "UNLOADER" and all I lose is the hull

8. JRW

JRW Member

If you weigh the first 1 or 2 and they are heavy, remove a little powder from the scale so that it is where you want it. Jerry

9. fishguts

fishguts Member

LOL Jerry...

Wayne

10. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Yes I have noticed it. Been doing it for many years. My old reloader manual tells you to check the first couple reloads until it settles down. Not unusual at all. Post-2

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Agree with most! I load on MECs and learned early in the '70s that the first couple of loads need to be checked. I weigh #1 and if it's heavy, just remove a bit of powder until it's where I want it. I then weigh #2 and usually it's OK but occasionally need to adjust it too. My technique is to wet a finger tip and touch it to the powder and recheck the weight - may have to do that twice; occasionally only once.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

You guys are thinking and working way too hard. Pull the handle, load the shells, put the first five shells in the "practice" bin. Absentmindedly turning the powder and shot off on a PW loader will sooner or later result in a competition shell with no powder.

13. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

Amen to that eightbore.

The easiest way I have found on my PW is when the first shell is primed but before I pull the handle to drop the powder, I turn the lever all the way to the left and drain about a cup full of powder through the drain tube and pour it back into the hopper. When the first shell gets powder, it is right on the money every time.

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

DON

If you're using a P-W you can just stick the powder/shot catch tube onto the powder drop and catch the first 2 drops. When the #2 hull has been primed, pull the tube off and dump it back into the jar or hopper before pulling the handle again. The next drop will be normal.

MK

15. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I am with Marlon I always run 3or 4 and weigh them before I even start crimping anything.

Jerry

16. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I don't know about the PW, but if you're using a MEC get a powder baffle. This variation will be reduced considerably. My differences are .5 grains or less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.