1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't need another chainsaw,but

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I don't normally participate in Black Friday madness but "Rural King" has an 18" Poulan chainsaw for $99.

Yeah I know it is a Poulan and people are going to say it is junk, but $99? Dam that is a deal.

I've got 6 saws now so I really don't need another. I've got 2 Huskys, 1 Stihl, 1 Craftsman, and 2 Homelights. I use the Craftsman the most and it is a Poulan and it has been a really good saw. Not the quality of the Stihl, or Husky but for a 1/5 of the price.

All well, don't need it, but then again dam chain itself anymore is close to $30, I guess a guy could always use another???????????

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

If you had an Echo you would only need one!

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Stonewall, you're probably right. A few years I had a BIG tree in the backyard that got pretty tore up by a tornado so it had to be taken down. I was afraid to do it myself so I hired a tree service to get it on the ground. I was surprised but they were using Echos, they swore by em.

Still $99 wouldn't be a bad price.

Sorta like shotguns, you only really need an 870 or 1100 but it is kinda nice to have a few others around. LOL

4. ark1stclass

ark1stclass TS Member

The biger Pulands are the same as the 142 and the next number down Huskvarnas, I had a 142 and it ran great now I have 2 Echo chainsaws.

I have a commercial lawn business and Echos are the best.

5. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

$99 is $90 more than a "Pullon" is worth. I bought one of those $99 specials about 5 years ago at a closeout sale. Occasionally I can get it started. I also have some "real" chainsaws, 2 Echos, a Husky and a good running Craftsman fron a garage sale. Save your $99 and buy more ammo. Larry Evans

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Changing from the Walbro carb to the Chinese one made them a hit or miss proposition. They like to vapor lock when warm.

I have a few Craftsman 18 inch, one came from the refurb center, one was bought used. The latest one has easy adjusting bar and starts easy.

They work real good if you use non safety chain, 3/4 chisel.

I know a 400 dollar saw would be better, but for fireplace wood only this is good enough.

HM

7. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

My Poulan was great until this spring. Rapidly lost power and died. I'm pretty certain that the giant gouge in the cylinder wall is what's got it locked up tighter than a knat's ass. POS.

8. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

halfmile

I suppose you meant 3/8 chisel, instead of 3/4.

I sold and serviced saws and mowers for 12 years.

I sold Jonsered saws, and serviced all makes. I was a service center for Homelite, and regretted this because they had so many poor quality saws that could not be depended on for extended usage.

But, they also had a few good saws back then, that I liked. Their XL and super XL line, the 360, 410, 450, 550, were decent saws.

Jonsered was part of Electrolux Corp.(not the sweepers, I don't think), and one division of a huge network of saws that included, Skil, Husqvarna, Pioneer, Partner, Olympic, and others.

As time went on, Jonsered would fill a need for a certain size saw with one from another line of theirs. Sometimes this was successful, other times it wasn't. Some of these sold as "Redline" saws.

I tried to sell just top-end saws so people would get their moneys worth, but some insisted on a cheaper saw, so I reluctantly sold them what they wanted.

I still serviced it, but these were always in the shop more than a better quality saw, and customers usually bought a better saw later.

At one time, our County had two Stihl dealers, and they did well, but it seems Stihl is about everywhere, and in a lot of implement dealers, now, so I think there are 4-5 dealers here.

I remember when I heard that John Deere bought out Homelite, and immediately they went out of business. I never did see this first hand, but our salesman told this story.

I would recommend saving your money, and buying a quality saw that the dealer will service for you.

Just my $.02

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I would think you could enjoy a day or two shooting trap as opposed to throwing down a C note for a saw that is not even in the same class as what you already have.

BTW I would trade my Echo 530 for your Stihl or a Husky. The only good thing I'll say about the Echo is that it starts on the first or second pull and is easy to change out the chain. Other than that it is underpowered and the bar tends to slip regardless of how tight you snug it down.

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I use two Stihl chainsaws.

A MS170 with a 16" bar for anything up to 12" in diameter.

A MS362 with a 24" bar for the big stuff.

They don't start on the first or second pull but they sure do cut.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

11. greendrake

greendrake Member

I did not read that you owned a pole saw. I know that it's like owning a 28 gauge, but echo and stihl both make a nice product. The only problem that I have ever had with mine is an issue of weight. Like most guys I first bought the longest and heaviest. Dumb. When the saw is fully extended the heavy model killed my back. An alternative is to go to home depot : rent the machine for $35 and save the $400+ that the saw would cost you.
    In short, I concur....by more ammo

russ luke

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Always good saw deals on Craigs list.

I bought a Craftsman 18 inch that was used twice for 80 bucks. Starts first pull, good enough for fireplace wood. My other one seems to stay away from home a lot because it gets loaned out.

HM

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The saws made for the big box stores are made to their specs,=junk.

I've cut about 25 cords with my $300 Dolmar without a hitch, made in Germany.

$300 is about as cheap as I would go on a chain saw unless you just want a pretty to hang on your work bench.

Stihl, Husky, Echo, Dolmar. And this does not apply to big box store huskies.

14. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Shannon

You touched on something there that I forgot to mention.

Chainsaws, like most other things, are made to specs for the company selling them.

The cheaper the saw is bought from the manufacturer, the cheaper it is made.

I remember having two Echo saws in my shop, and they were advertised as the same CC engine, but one was from a servicing dealer, and one from a big box hardware chain.

I believe the basic engines were the same, but the big box saw had a plastic starter unit, and the other was all cast aluminum. The plastic units were warping under the heat, and failing miserably. The clutch assy. was also different, as the cheaper unit used a bronze bushing over the crank, and the dealer sold one, had roller bearings.

I guess these changes made the units cheaper to manufacture, so they could be sold cheaper, but it also damaged the name of a good saw company.

My $.02

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've got a Husky, Poulan and older Craftsman. My go to saw is the Craftsman, the Poulan is crap and the Husky if fine but hard on my old back!!

16. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Bisi, surely you are not serious? I see you own a Stihl so you should know better. Don't waste money on a Poo-lan. Buy more Stihl chisel chain for the Stihl. That chain is expensive because it works!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.