1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DON'T LOOK DOWN AT SHOOTERS WHO PLAY THE MONEY!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

DON

HELLO:
    over the years i have usually played some type of purse being offered at an ATA trapshoot. I always felt, if you don't play, you can't win. I have always felt that shooters that don't play the money,look down at shooters that do play it. I often wondered how many shooters would stop shooting if we just shot for trophies? in my area, we have clubs that have shooters auctions and they have a large turn out. try this at another local club and your lucky if one or more people sign up. do you think there is any validity to what i am saying?
    steve balistreri

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are many shooters who play the options and many more that don't ... The only ones that either bother are the ones on the otherside of that issue ... Sometimes I do and sometimes I do not and don't care about what anyone else does with their money ... Samething when I'm in Vegas, I gamble and lots of other just watch ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. TLC Flying

TLC Flying TS Member

I play most of the stuff because I can and to keep it alive. If I wanted to make money it surely would not be in the trap shooting arena. On the occasion I stumble into a good score, great. If we let it die, there is no recovery. BW

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I play the options!

Matt

5. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I usually only play the Lewis Classes. I have been lucky in the past and sometimes have won enougth to pay for the days shooting. Sometimes didn't win anything.

I think it is important to at least have the options

Allen

6. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I like playing Lewis Classes with my wife. It not what we win or lose. It's who beats who. If my wife win something she buys dinner and if I do I buy dinner. Trust me we will never make a living from trap shooting. But it is fun.

7. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

I stopped playing all options 25 years ago. I enjoy the competition. I enjoy winning but having a good round is just as important! I'll still have the belt buckles in my trophy case long after the money is gone! I don't have a problem with those who play options, it's their money. I have never heard anyone express any displeasure with any of you that choose to play options. Quite frankly I can't see why it would matter to anyone whether a shooter does or does not play options! No one in my 34 years of shooting has ever said anything to me one way or the other!(Leo III stopped getting any of my money 25 years ago! LOL)

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Another BS made up thread.

Don

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The larger shoots should have "Compulsory Money" for all events/classes/yardage groups.

Curt

10. senior smoke

BIGDON- i always look forward to your responses to my threads. there is one other "EE" i am sure he will have have something to say too. thats ok, I do not take it personal. have a good day.
    steve

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

grnberetcj, If the larger shoots had compulsory money for all classes and yardage groups, they would no longer be "the largests shoots".

IMHO!

Hauxfan!

12. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

BigDon,

At least it didn’t start out with:

A friend of my brother’s sister-in-law’s neighbor’s son lost a nickel in a bubble gum machine...now mind you, it’s not the nickel, but the principle at stake here. So now after loosing my job for taking three days off to drive from Pewaukee to Tucson to confront the president of the local Band-Boosters club operating the defective vending stand, I still haven’t recovered the money and the boy is devastated. What do you guys think?

[Proper punctuation added for reader clarity.]

{BIG Smile (added because it’s Friday)}

Gold E

Mike...added becouse there's now two Gold Es

Mid 70s, sunny, and a light breeze in TX this weekend!

13. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

I'm sure Leo III is delighted to have shooters play the options, especially on the days he goes 399X400!

As usual Hauxfan has it right, compulsory purses mean fewer shooters and the clubs make their money on head count, not option players!

I've seen many programs that include a purse option in the cost of an event, however, although not against the rules, if the targets are ATA registered, there is always a disclaimer added that the purse is not compulsory.

ATA rule Section VIII-A does not permit compulsory options at any event where ATA trophies and/or added monies are provided!

14. senior smoke

GOLD E- Now that was funny. even my wife started laughing because she said it sounds just like me. have a good day. seriously, that was a great response.
    steve

15. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Curt -

Could you let us know which ATA shoots (the big ones) have compulsory money?

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.