1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't laugh...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by capvan, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I just dug up a 5 gallon pail of dirt from my trap range. After rinsing off the dirt, leaves, etc., I ended up with 16 lbs. of shot. Now I know I stand the chance of scratching my barrel if I use this stuff, but it sure seems like a good deal for about an hour (of which I have plenty, retired) of labor. And I'm not going to use this stuff for a championship or anything close. I think it would be a good experiment to load this stuff up and see what happens. With shot prices what they are now, I don't see how I can go wrong. Comments?
    Bruce

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

great idea, as long as the club doesn't mind.

3. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

You should not scratch the barrel, all the shot is in a plastic wad. The shot doesn't touch the barrel.

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

My father used to go out on the trap range between shoots and pick up used wads. He'd run them through an old washing machine in the garage and reuse them. He shot them for probably 40 years never had any issues with them. Now that he has passed I doubt that I will continue that habit, but I've shot a lot of those used wads over the years. The point being, any time you can re-use something safely its a plus. I'm sure that my dad got snickered at a lot when he'd talk about using used wads, but he won his share of matches with them. If you tell folks that you are re-using shot, you might get a few chuckles, but not only are you saving money, you're also taking lead out of the environment, even if it is only a short time till you return it. But as stated above, I'd ask the club first.

5. Rusty Razor

Rusty Razor Member

Hunt around out there you should be able to find a couple sweet spots that would yield alot more than 16# per bucket should be able to see it on the ground, and look for ant hills they love the shot and it does'nt seem to bother them at all.

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

I'll have to think about the wads. They are about a foot deep. Might be fun getting a bucket full and then sorting them to match what I'm using now. Thanks for the comments. Next step is to sift the berms to recover bullets that I can melt and cast. I just used my hands for about 10 minutes and filled a coffee can.

7. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Stick with the coffee can for the bullets!

One day I had the bright idea of picking up bullets and dumping them into two 6gal buckets. In about 30 or 40 minutes I had my buckets full and set out to carry them to the truck.

Well, I’m no wimp, but I can’t lift a 6gal full of lead.

Two suggestions: 1. Park you vehicle to block anyone from using the range while you scavenge. 2. The best berm picking is after a rain. The rain washes the soil leaving the bullets just sitting on top.

You’ll be amazed at how much lead you can get out of a berm with very little time or effort.

8. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Be careful handling lead shot that has been weathered especially if it is corroded. It may not be worth the risk.

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

How big was the bucket?? If you got that much into a 5 gallon bucket, there must be tons more. I didn't laugh. Smiled, but no laugh.....yet.....oops, slipped out. :D

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Remember the lead may be on the ground but it is still an asset of the club. If you are going to take it then offer to pay for it.

Don

11. capvan

capvan Active Member

30 years of lead on guaranteed non-recoverable ground (boulders and hillside, trees) is NOT an asset. It's a liability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.