1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't get this JoePa/college football thing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by yakimaman, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Don

Watching the news, reading the threads here about Joepa and all, and I still just don't get it. I grew up in a small NW town - no pro sports around, no big college sports that people talked about and then spent 23 years bouncing around small towns and overseas Air Force bases - liked to watch a ball game now and then, watched boxing a bit, the Olympics but never developed the fervor for any one team or any one sport. Then I got out of the service and took a job with a large company in Columbus OH. Here is the home of THE Ohio State University. Old men and women with buckeye necklaces, white trash high school dropouts wearing OSU jerseys - still didn't get it. OSU played AF in the Liberty Bowl in '99 and lost 23-11. I went in to work making jokes about it and that set a tone with my managers that actually put me on the "next to go" (at will employer) list. Even after more than 20 years here I still see this unbelievable worship and adulation of a bunch of kids playing football unexplainable. It permeates everything and is, in my book, some kind of sickness. So, seeing all these fans line up to pay tribute to Paterno is really no surprise to me although I can't fathom why they can't get past the win/lose stats and see that this man and others in other schools (Tressel fans out there too) will put anything aside, forgive any sin as long as it doesn't tarnish or effect league standings or the school's athletic program.

rm

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Seems to me the Bible mentions the worshipping of idols and the consequences.

3. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

Works the same way or worse with celebrities. I don't get it either. Rick

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Yep seems to me that if you want someone to idolize you should be looking at all the hard working Moms and Dads that drag their asses out of bed at O dark thirty every day to go to WORK sick or well to feed and take care of their family.

--- Chip King ---

5. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Chip King,

Amen to that, a truer word never spoken.

Release Trigger..................

6. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

Well said all!!!!!!

7. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

Yes Penn State College Football is a grand scale, but you ought to see where it gets its start. I live in western Pa., and we have the same type of thing every fall. The football players are paraded around like prize pigs, hauled around town on the local fire engines and then taken to an area-wide pep rally with a bonfire. When I was a kid they used to have a snake dance, practically all of the local high school kids would form a chain and wind their way through all of the stores and businesses, all for this friday night football.
    In school I took my share of abuse for not supporting them, I was at the local sportsmens club Friday night shooting TRAP. Several of the locals even made it to the pros, when they show up fridays for games they retire to the bar right down the street they are given free reign of anything in the place. Sure wouldnt bother me if they would just give it up....

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

While I am a Pennsylvania native and resident and my father earned a Master's at Penn State, I've never been a true-blue Penn State fan. I did watch most of the bowl games in which the team played and was an admirer of Joe Paterno for not only his coaching ability but as a person, too.

I get to listen to ESPN Satellite Radio during the day and yesterday, someone brought up this very important fact - PSU is one of very, very few major colleges that has never been sanctioned by the NCAA. Joe Paterno never as much as received a slap on the wrist for any recruitment or coaching violations and pushed his players to do well academically. If you listen to most of them being interviewed this week, you can tell by their use of the English language that they paid attention in class. Listen to many NFL players from other colleges and you'd think they were junior high dropouts.

In contrast, a son of friends of ours attended another major university on an athletic scholarship and played football and baseball for the school. He told us he attended each class once per semester - the first day - to find out what resources the student who took his place in class, took his notes, took his tests and wrote his papers would need. Scholarship athletes were given an unwritten pass from the drudgeries of attending classes.

JoePa may not have taken what he was told about Jerry Sandusky far enough and I think the football program might have been better served if he had retired 10 or so years ago but you certainly have to respect him for a lot of other things.

Ed

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Its to instill a youthful euphoria in the students so they don't feel bad about the indoctrination that just happen to them at a cost of tens of thousand of dollars out of their pockets(mostly parents) as they(colleges)rake in millions of taxpayers dollars along with the millions from their sports programs!! ALL the while they are sitting on endowments that are in the Billions!!!

Now do you get it?

10. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

He didn't even shoot that well? AJ

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

As most people don't have a real life and just putter through a boring, uneventful and utterly fruitless decades of semi-living...it is those types that live vicariously through others...thus is the case of idolizing the Paterno's, etc.

Curt

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I like sports and entertainment as much as the next person, but mindless over-emphasis on sports and celebrity, and adulation of people who don't possess even the most basic moral character, is certainly symptomatic of an increasingly sick culture. Fawning over somebody so incredibly cowardly that he looked the other way for years while children were being molested is a perfect example of our morally diseased society. We should be ashamed, but of course we aren't. That's another symptom.

-Gary

13. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

If you remember our prez obo and all of the house and senate save for one Republican, gave a warm moment of silence for michael jackson. I wonder what ever happened to the kids he molested??

14. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Or the virtuous young lovelies with whom Tiger played the ATM game?

15. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Yak; I live near state college and can tell you why the players are treated so.Because of the football program and the money it brings in all of the students have the finest equipment and the latest of everything in there classes to work with The whole program has been run so well that the college can build anything they want and buy anything they want which puts them out in front of most any other Those students know where the money comes from and are so happy to have the best to learn with.This was set up threw the years by very smart people and pushed by Joepa who also donated millions to anything that would help the students excell in ther chosen fields.that is why his players were pushed for better grades, he made sure they were ready to meet the world in all ways.I know a girl who tooterd many of the players and they still call her and thank the whole program for how they were pushed in all directions to be the best.

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well I am of the opposite mind- The Coach was a great man- he influenced litteraly tens of thousands of people directly or through his charity.

He lived modestly

He didnt brag

He reported a second hand account to his superiors on one incident in over 70 years of his life

When your resume looks like his feel free to say something bad

Those of you that dont have much if anything in life to be proud of- go somewhere else

Regards from Iowa

Gene

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Years ago, a rather well-known Dodger player, Reggie Smith said, to paraphrase: "Pressure, why should I feel pressure? The guy who is raising three kids, gets up early to get to his job, works hard to pay bills and has limited job security, well that guy has pressure."

But we have been IMO, conditiioned to love our single combat warriors in our Western Culture.

To me, a person to be worshipped is one who has had a lot of hard knocks in life, yet never got into making his or her life a "pity party" and continued to work hard, saw things get better, and is patient and helpful and kind towards others. "I seen it in some of the more honorable trapshooters"...and that is one of my personal joys in being in this activity's environment.

18. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Wow I don't see why you need to get it!!! Those of us who do know that he Joe Paterno was a man that stood for the right and good of all of his students and the boys that became men on his field are truly better to have known him. As to what all of this is about.. well here goes It is a feeling deep to be part of something better, to be a team and a family.. and you that bounced around from place to place maybe you don't and may never will understand. but for myself and my family, We believe in the thoughts and the way Joe taught each and everyone of those men on his field each and evey day... I feel sorry for you who don't understand. Someday I hope you have the chance. But as we know is will never be the same at Penn State. I'm proud to be a Penn State fan ...We are Penn State!!!

19. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Below is a list of FBS football programs that have never been placed under probation.<br>
    <br>
    Team<br>
    Air Force<br>
    Akron<br>
    Army<br>
    Boise St<br>
    Boston College<br>
    Bowling Green<br>
    BYU<br>
    Central Michigan<br>
    Colorado St<br>
    Connecticut<br>
    Duke<br>
    Eastern Michigan<br>
    Florida Atlantic<br>
    Idaho<br>
    Iowa<br>
    Kent St<br>
    Louisiana Tech<br>
    Louisville<br>
    Miami OH<br>
    Middle Tennessee<br>
    Missouri<br>
    Nevada<br>
    North Carolina<br>
    North Texas<br>
    Northern Illinois<br>
    Northwestern<br>
    Ohio<br>
    Penn St<br>
    Purdue<br>
    Rice<br>
    San Jose St<br>
    South Florida<br>
    Stanford<br>
    Temple<br>
    Toledo<br>
    Troy<br>
    Tulane<br>
    UAB<br>
    UL Monroe<br>
    UNLV<br>
    Vanderbilt<br>
    Wake Forest<br>
    Washington St<br>
    West Virginia<br>
    Western Kentucky<br>
    Western Michigan<br>

20. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

100after9, ya say, "but as we know is will never be the same at Penn State."

You are correct Sir. Now the players can shower without being afraid of dropping the soap.

Bunch of damn sickos there is what it was, friggin perverts.

GneJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.