1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't blow me up !

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Don

Okay, take pity on a skeet shooter. I just acquired some once fired 28 Ga. Remington STS empties.

I've always loaded AA's - in fact, been lucky enough to have the old style AA's until now and have worn them out.

So . . . . best recommended reload combination is . . . ..

I will be using Winchester primers . . . can I use AA wads ? . . . . powder ?

thanks in advance

Noel

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yes you can...

3. 31 Pump

31 Pump TS Member

Old style AA's and STS's use the same recipe.

Glenn

4. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

What 31 PUMP said, I run them both thru my press.

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

What gun are you using them in? LOL Dave T.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check Hodgdon.com and Alliantpowder.com for data. If using anoother manufacturer's powder, check their site for recommendations. The AA wads and Winchester primers should work, provided you have reliable data.

7. skeezix

skeezix Member

I don't know how the old style AA wads are, but the new AAHS wads will drive you to drink. I have switched to the claybusters for the HS application- stiffer plastic and lots less problem with cocked wads and folded wad petals.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting you use the HS style wads- just saying the winchester wad quality sucks on the HS wads. If you're going to go buy wads- I think I'd look at the Remington RXP 28 wads, or a AA clone. (duster wads have a good rep - I just can't get them locally so I don't use them)

John

8. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

The biggest unknown for me is the wad. I know there is a difference in the old vs new AA and HS .410 wads . . . . based on a tapered case in the newer HS shells I think.

I'd planned on using the same components as what I'm using now unless the wad needed to be changed out.

Guns I'll be shooting them in ? One of the following:

Remington 1100 Skeet T 28 ga.

Kreighoff Model 32 12 ga. with Kolar sub gauge tubes

Remington 3200 12 ga. with Kolar sub gauge tubes

Browning Citori 12 ga with Briley sub gauge tubes

I'll give the AA wads a try and see how the STS shells take them.

Thanks for the replys.

9. skeezix

skeezix Member

The new AAHS hulls are a straight wall design with a separate base wad. The wads need to be slightly larger dia. to accomodate this. The wads for Compression Formed (old) AA's will work fine in the rem hulls, as Remington is still using the compression forming process. Do not try to stuff an HS style wad into the Rem hulls - I beleve you will get a serious overpresure problem if you can even seat the wad.

In the HS hulls, you need to use wads like the HS wads, various clones of the HS wads, or the Federal wad (I believe that the Federal wad is what Spolar recommends FYI)

John

10. 31 Pump

31 Pump TS Member

There absolutely is a difference between old style AA and the new HS's. When I said the recipes are the same I was talking about old style AA's and current STS's

I use the green duster 1 oz wad for both of them and have no problems. I am currently using Wolf Primers. and Clays powder.

Glenn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.