1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't be the first

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Don

A cadet @ West Point died yesterday due to the heat conditions. I don't want to hear or read about any shooter dying from the heat. I don't care where you shoot at. You owe it to your family & yourself to not do anything stupid. Its a game. I don't believe they will give any award for the first person to die @ the Grand or the Cardinal Classic.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/extremeheat/heattips.asp

Tips for Preventing Heat-Related Illness
    The best defense is prevention. Here are some prevention tips:
    Drink more fluids (nonalcoholic), regardless of your activity level. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink. Warning: If your doctor generally limits the amount of fluid you drink or has you on water pills, ask him how much you should drink while the weather is hot.

Don’t drink liquids that contain alcohol or large amounts of sugar–these actually cause you to lose more body fluid. Also, avoid very cold drinks, because they can cause stomach cramps.

Stay indoors and, if at all possible, stay in an air-conditioned place. If your home does not have air conditioning, go to the shopping mall or public library–even a few hours spent in air conditioning can help your body stay cooler when you go back into the heat. Call your local health department to see if there are any heat-relief shelters in your area.

Electric fans may provide comfort, but when the temperature is in the high 90s, fans will not prevent heat-related illness. Taking a cool shower or bath, or moving to an air-conditioned place is a much better way to cool off.

Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.

NEVER leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle.

Although any one at any time can suffer from heat-related illness, some people are at greater risk than others. Check regularly on:

Infants and young children
    People aged 65 or older
    People who have a mental illness
    Those who are physically ill, especially with heart disease or high blood pressure

Visit adults at risk at least twice a day and closely watch them for signs of heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Infants and young children, of course, need much more frequent watching.
    If you must be out in the heat:
    Limit your outdoor activity to morning and evening hours.

Cut down on exercise. If you must exercise, drink two to four glasses of cool, nonalcoholic fluids each hour. A sports beverage can replace the salt and minerals you lose in sweat. Warning: If you are on a low-salt diet, talk with your doctor before drinking a sports beverage. Remember the warning in the first “tip” (above), too.

Try to rest often in shady areas.

Protect yourself from the sun by wearing a wide-brimmed hat (also keeps you cooler) and sunglasses and by putting on sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher (the most effective products say “broad spectrum” or “UVA/UVB protection” on their labels).
    This information provided by NCEH's Health Studies Branch.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you don't have to pee ... you don't have enough fluid in your system ... so drink some more!

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ahab--Thanks for the heads up. I didn't have to pee so i just went and got me a 12 pack of Bud Light. I bet i have to pee in about a 1/2 hour or so. ;)

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Here's what's going to happen: The heat will be oppressive and there will be shooters who will want to quit but don't want to drop out in the middle of an event, so with no place to cool off, get shade, or rest they will "tough it out."

I'm a senior vet and I'm afraid I might be one of them.

6. grntitan

dickgtax--Lets just hope this heat wave thats roasting the country lets up by the time the Grand comes. If the Grand is where you were talking about shooting, be careful traveling and good luck shooting. Heck no matter where you are shooting the same goes. They are having similar heat in Marengo. Everybody both young and old needs to just be smart when being out in weather like we have had. Everybody can handle it if they just use proper precautions and be able to recognize when they are getting too hot.

7. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

is heat related illness reason enough to catch up at the practice trap or would it require a person to scratch?

8. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

Things to look for,altered mental status, go from sweaty to hot dry flushed skin you have stayed to long you are actually closer to dieing than tou realize.

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It's for just the heat reason that my club in S. Florida decided to only have 50 target events during the summer months. We send 3 squads out at a time on 3 fields shooting 50 targets on a field so we can get 6 squads done in an hour. If you're on the first 3 squads and only shooting singles you can be back in your car by 9:30am. We shoot 3 events and we're gone by 1pm. The shooters love it.

Eric

10. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Actually Shootlow proper precaution against thirst is the recently introduced 36 Pack. A 12 Pack is just to wet your whistle.

11. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Happened to me at the Iowa shoot :(

12. grntitan

shootlow--It depends on what you are preparing for. LOL

13. Zardozforty

Zardozforty Member

Shootlow, you know Hauxfan was probably keeping an eye on someone or many someones, but it just wasn't the Lit!

What federal paper said above!

Oh, if you're old and have diabetes, be very careful.

Even if you don't have diabetes, be careful!

Thats why I'm not going this year!

14. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Once worked with a Gunny, his tip for drinking water was...if your pee is colored, you are not drinking enough water...the clearer the better....but also remember, just drinking and not peeing is just as harmful.....it MUST flow!!!!!

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about it Denny. Hope you're doing better. Take care of yourself!

Guys, take this seriously. "Toughing it out" because you don't want to get ribbed by your mates is a good way to suffer heat stroke.

And many folks who have had heat stroke say its easier to get the next time around. (I've never had it so I can't say.)

The post above about peeing? I agree 100%. If you're not peeing, you aren't drinking enough water. Clear pee is better than colored pee.

Things NOT to drink: Soda pop, coffee, beer, alcoholic beverages, soda water, anything with caffeine.

Things TO drink: Water, water, water. Gatorade or Powerade is OK, but water is better.

16. Zardozforty

Zardozforty Member

Timb, Doctor sez we all have a threshold, for skin cancer, heat stroke, and many other things, and I'm convinced that once you had even a close call with heat, one can't tolerate it to the same degree as before.

Annie Munson suffers terribly from the heat and sometimes doesn't sign up or is forced to pull out.

A few years ago at the Iowa State Shoot I think I crossed my threshold.

Shooting with Dean Newman, Harlen Campbell, Bill Van Nuiwenhussen (alphabet), and Jerry Mitchell, the heat got me. Dean said lay in his camper, and I did for two hours before finally recovering. He keeps it cold enough to hang meat in there but was just what I needed. I remember now, it was 119 dgrees on Thursday (I think they actually cancelled the doubles event that day), 121 on Friday, and 117 on Saturday.

I pulled off the squad the next year because it was too hot and humid. Great guys to shoot with too!

17. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Let me try to help some of you here. This is an area in which I do have a bit of expertise and based on what I've read thus far....a point or two need to be made.
    IF you are sweating profusely, DO NOT fall into the "trap" of thinking that merely drinking lots and lots of water will keep you going. Doing so will flush your system of electrolytes. You'll be strolling down the line to your next Trap...and PASS OUT. Keeping an eye on urine color is a good idea. A little color isn't bad...if you're peeing "Gold"...you have a problem developing. If it's 90+ degrees and you're NOT sweating anymore...you have a problem developing.

You can perform in high heat conditions, you just have to know how to protect yourself by following a few simple procedures.

18. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

I drink a twenty oz bottle of gatorade lite each 100. And more between 100's. People on diuretics get into trouble easily because they limit their intake and don't want to interrupt the squad or pee their pants. D Winter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.