1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Done With The ' NWTF'

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JBrooks, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Yeah, WTF is the NWTF?

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

The headquarters is right down the road from me,never visited there but it looks like a huge complex passing by.

Bill

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If you could see some of the homes these paid employees live in you would see where your money goes.

Mr. Charles, its not limited to the "NWTF".

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I see the NWTF as being geared more for the benefit of a few than for the sport ing general.<br>
    <br>
    The NWTF has always seemed to me to be an organization top heavy with "the big dogs" and it's geared to support those "big dogs" at the expense of all the "little people". My impression is that everyone has a Zumbo attitude - they don't do much for the sport other than generating money to take themselves on nice hunts that their rank and file members can't afford.<br>
    <br>
    Also, there's a helluva lot of hype with their marketing. Compare the prices of special NWTF firearms, apparel and accessories. There's a hefty premium on them, which goes right back to "the big dogs".<br>
    <br>

5. ole 31

ole 31 TS Member

MR Charles, check out www.old gobbler.com. It was started bymembers of NWTF THAT WERE TIRED Of paying for Rob Kecks hunting trips

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

It sounds to me like you got tied up with a bunch of turkeys! Sorry, I couldn't resist. I do a gree with Mr.Charles and Brian, the NWTF sucks!

7. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Been to Edgefield, South Carolina. For a real small town there sure are two nice headquarters for the NWTF and Quail Unlimited. I wonder how many family members of the founders work for each group. I am sending my money to Pheasants Forever.

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

remember the old saying...."Charity begins at home...??

9. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

Give to your local "turkeys" the county jail is full of them.

10. Joe O

Joe O Member

Gentlemen, All wildlife groups are not the same. I have been the treasurer of our Stearns Co. Pheasnts Forever chapter for 15 years now. I can't tell how the money is spent in other groups but I do know that you send them the money you raise at your chapter event and then when you have a project you want funds for you have to request it back from them if your project meets there approval. That is exactly why I support PF. We send $30 of each member that comes to our banquet. We keep the rest to spend as we see fit on any project that our chapter wants to tackle. Huge difference. Our chapter has spearheaded 25 land acquisitions that have become state hunting areas in Stearns County in 25 yaers that we've been at this. That's around 3000 acres of EXTRA public hunting land just in our county. Plus we have 3 different youth programs, a youth day at the Albany (MN) Gun Club free to any youth who show up. this includes Trap, Skeet and 5-Stand. A Mentor hunt a local game farm to introduce kids to pheasant hnting with real birds and Dogs and they sponsor our SCTP Sporting Clays Team that competes around the state. These are just some of the projects that we work on.
    As you can see PF gives the group raising the money the freedom to decide how to spend that money creating a much more efficent organization. The real benefit here goes where the local chapter chooses.
    Much more to this than I feel like typing but this is a better way and a Wildlife group that deserves your support! Join a Pheasants Forever or Quail Forever chapter and get involved You will see a difference
    Joe Opitz

11. Brian in Oregon

We didn't have a very good wild turkey population in Oregon.<br>
    <br>
    If you listen to NWTF they are responsible for increasing the turkey population, showing pics of themselves releasing imported wild turkeys.<br>
    <br>
    The Dept of Fish & Wildlife, on the other hand, says they did it, with the help of volunteers, most of whom were from the Oregon Hunters Association, not NWTF.<br>
    <br>
    NWTF has held some youth clinics here. And they were pretty nicely done. But there were more youths than clinics, and the kids could have used more range time. BUt they also put on a nice BBQ, had outstanding door prizes, and the cost to attend was cheap. This is the kind of stuff they need to be focusing on. But the organization overall has too much overhead. They need a revolution within their own ranks and clean up the waste.<br>
    <br>
    I see the NWTF as being a support group for those with money who want to hunt a lot of turkeys, which pretty much means traveling to numerous states since there is a pretty small bag limit in most. (Oregon is one turkey plus a bonus turkey in a few problem areas, plus a fall turkey). And, some what to do a "Grand Slam", meaning get one of the five North American species, which requires travel. Add up the costs for out of state licenses and tags, travel, lodging, food, guides, etc., and pretty soon you find where the overhead is going.<br>
    <br>
    Back in my fishing days, I was a member of Northwest Steelheaders. Nobody was getting rich off of that group. The minimal overhead and group projects would put NWTF to shame.

12. biff

biff Active Member

Mr. Charles, don't you realize how much money it takes to pay the salaries of top level people who promote and run a large organization like the NWTF? If not for the funds coming into the NWTF, all those people would be out of a job. I don't think you comprehend how difficult it is to raise money to fund a large organization from people like you who want to know where all the donation money is going. Yes, you could cut back on your shooting if you wanted to so as to fill the coffers of this prestigeous organization and every time you drive by one of their nice homes feel good to know you are putting them there and if it's a little nicer than your own try not to be envious! OK!

We are asked to support well known charities and feel we should where the funds will actually be used in our area. On calls which come in from out of town or by "unkown caller" I know they are coming from paid professional solicitors that will undoubtedly fill their pockets and furnish nice homes and cars for the top execs. I tell them "We have depleted our benevolent funds to charity for this quarter." By the time I finish and they figure this out I thank them and hang up. The NWTF is not the only organization that uses funds for for the benefit of the organizers, there are many why prey upon the sympathies of people who are generous in helping the less fortunate. Like politicians it is hard to to put your faith and trust toward programs where you feel you are helping.

I was kinda spoofing you in the first paragraph. It's kinda like you discovered something about an organization you felt good about for many years and realized the faith, trust and money you so graciously had given them went to a bunch of greedy con artists. I understand your anger. Biff

13. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Life is good in Edgefield, South Carolina. Keep those letters (with checks) coming in to NWTF and Quail Unlimited.

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

We didn't have a very good wild turkey population in Oregon....

Brian, Brian, Brian... How can you possibley say this? We are over run with turkeys in Oregon. So much that we have two seasons as well as bonus tags for those who wish to buy them. They may not be present in every part of the state but they are at nusince proportions in those area where they are located. Spend some time in Lanr, Jackson and douglas countys and you will see more turkys then you can shake as fist at. Jeff

15. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I was directly involved in a local chapter for two years. I observed some very questionable and ethical practices from NWTF staff. Really bothered me that mostly the local chapter is forgotten unless you are one of their buddies. The final straw was when we were denied a TV and VCR player for the local conservaiton club to use for hunter safety. Two weeks later we found out that two conservation officers were given two new ATV's by NWTF staff. I was not against the ATV's but damn, lets be reasonable. Well to say the least we dissolved our chapter about five years ago and spent our little bit of remaining money as we saw fit, some to the Consv. Club, the local QU chapter and some to a local scholarship. I will never again have anything to do with the NWTF !!! Bryan

16. Brian in Oregon

<i>SuperXJeff, quote: "We didn't have a very good wild turkey population in Oregon....<br>
    <br>
    Brian, Brian, Brian... How can you possibley say this? We are over run with turkeys in Oregon. So much that we have two seasons as well as bonus tags for those who wish to buy them. They may not be present in every part of the state but they are at nusince proportions in those area where they are located. Spend some time in Lanr, Jackson and douglas countys and you will see more turkys then you can shake as fist at. Jeff"</i><br>
    <br>
    My statement is correct. We *didn't* have a very good wild turkey population in Oregon.<br>
    <br>
    Things have changed over the years. We certainly do *now*.<br>
    <br>
    BTW, speaking of those counties, BTDT and had a hard time trying to cultivate private land to hunt on. Used to have some spots, but the owners cut a deal to let guides take out of state hunters hunting there exclusively. Oh well.

17. Lone Gunmen

Lone Gunmen TS Member

Send your money to the NRA so we can keep something to hunt WITH.

18. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Rob Keck Executive Vice President $380,810 compensation

full report at this link

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4201

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

My Bad Brian.. We don't have any trouble getting places to hunt. You just gotta ask and keep asking. Lot's of husbands have had it with the wifes pets. Jeff

20. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I will show my support of boycotting anything and everything to do with turkey come Easter next Sunday I'm going to eat ham instead of turkey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what has nwtf done