1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Don

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

You've probably heard that it is impossible to NOT think about purple elephants when someone says, "Don't think about purple elephants". The same phenomenon is in trapshooting. One important goal is reach a point where the shooter is operating "in the zone", not thinking, just doing.

I've often been accused of thinking too much and I seem to end up thinking about not thinking. A shooter once grasped my shoulder and told me to "not think tonight". Didn't help. I thought about what he said and thought about not thinking.

This FACT of trapshooting (sports in general?) has me thinking. What else? Anyhow, instead of trying to NOT think, might there be ways of thinking that help a thinker focus and get in the zone? Gill and Vicki Ash have a book on this topic, "SPORTING CLAYS CONSISTENCY: YOU GOTTA BE OUT OF YOUR MIND!" The question, then, does anyone have direct experience with this book/technique as an aid for trapshooting? Or, might there be something else available - a technique or process that can help a shooter focus by not thinking?

Larry

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'm not thinking about this post. Bulge.

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I try to think but nothing happens!

Curly

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

It's no problem for Shootlow! lol

Hauxfan!

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Our pee brains like to wander and get bored quickly. With trap you do need to think but you need also to confine your thoughts to a very small intense window. That window is also known as the zone. Inside the zone the only acceptable thoght is see the target, shoot the target. Any other thought will bounce you out of the zone. Common non-zone thought would be 'what if I get a hard right' (or left), 'what if I have the wrong choke', 'are these glasses the right shade', 'please don't let me miss this last bird' .....

Now the 64 thousand dollar question, how do you get your mind to stay in the zone .... what like I know? Sure wish I had the majic answer though.

6. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

I would suggest Lanny Bassham's book "With Winning in Mind" as a first step. He may not have a style that suits you, but I think his book and CD's have helped me quite a bit. The book is cheap, so start there. The CD's are expensive, but the shoting sports seminar set has some great content IMHO.

--Dan

7. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

It's all about being in the moment, see bird hit bird. Nobody can concentrate on that event for long.

Robert

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bulger, did you ever have a serious thought?? I didn't think so. LMAOAY

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Bob, got to tell you a story about working in a bowling alley when I was 11 years old. I used to set the pins ducks and tens. To make it short The owner liked me, and to give me a few more bucks, between leagues John would have me clean the bowling balls. Well the place caught on fire one night,bowling alleys really light up fast with all that waxed wood. Well Mom woke me up to tell me, so I went outside to watch it burn and ran into John. We were watching and he was muttering something about his whole life going up in flames and going on and on. All of a sudden I blurt out 'Hey John, when they put it out want me to clean the balls?' WOW, Wrong thing to say he grabbed his crotch and said' Here clean these balls you little c'ser'. I shut up. So since I was eleven at least i been a smart ass. Bulge.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO ~~Bulge~~ that's the funniest thing i've heard in a long time. OMG that is funny. You were fast with the witty comebacks even then. :D

11. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

The more you do something the less you have to think about it. I believe it's a natural motion.

Harry

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Instinctive shooting Harry. Bulge.

13. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Larry,

One of the things the Ashes talk about is controlling the "voice." It's that little voice that is always talking to you, telling you why you missed the last bird, not to shoot over the next straight-away, you're not good enough to shoot a good score, maybe you should have returned that call before you started to shoot, etc.

The best way to control it, says Gil, is with routine. I think it works great for trap. On Phil Kiner's DVD, he talks about using a martial arts breathing technique.

Try it for yourself, develop your own routine, and stick to it. See if that helps you shoot better without thinking about it. Go through the routine, mount, call, see the bird, break the bird. Repeat 99 times.

This is my understanding, open for discussion.

Danny

14. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

My friend used to tell me about the pink elephants he used to see on his way home. I never believed him until one day he hit one. It was a pink telephone pole!

Harry

15. BBMAX

BBMAX TS Member

Larry -

Sports Psychology is a specific field that deals with just the challenge you are discussing. I Instruct and Coach Trap in the East and believe me this is probably the most challenging part of competitive Trapshooting after (a) Equipment and (b) Technique. Professional Golf and Tennis are two individual sports that have "Mind Coaches".

If you email me I would be happy to send you a book list to consider. Remember, you can't turn off your brain but you can direct your thinking positively. My friend Bob Palmer writes about this every month in Trap and Field. I wish you good shooting.

Bruce Maxwell

16. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

"How can you think and hit at the same time?".......Yogi Berra

Wayne

17. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bulged Barrel, I have no idea where some of your stories come from, but I believe your tale to be true, too true. It's strange some of the things that stick in your mind from years ago. I apolgize for being a distraction on this thread because the mind is a serious subject for the shooting diciplines which is an abstract object that I've never been able to reckon with. Shoot well and often while we can, Bob

18. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Read "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill to learn about the powers of thought. Sorry it didn't work for me. To deep for me.

Harry

19. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Bob, i'll PM you the rest of the story. Bulge.

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Yogi has it right. You can't think and concentrate on the target at the same time. Before you call for the bird say to yourself concentrate and follow through. Your thought side of your brain has now told your motor skill side what it has to do when that bird comes out. After that you are not thinking, you are concentrating on the bird to the point where you hear nothing, and see nothing but the bird. Everything is now working on the same basis as your heart, and lungs. You never have to think about making your heart beat, and your lungs to breath do you? It is the same process, only difference is it is not direct wired. There is thought before the process happens.