1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DON HALDEMAN - OLYMPIC HERO - SIGNATURE BOOK

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Allen Chubb, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allen Chubb

Allen Chubb Active Member

allenchubb_2008_030318.jpg

allenchubb_2008_030319.jpg

Dear Shooting Brothers & Sisters,

Donald S. Haldeman from Souderton, Pennsylvania was the 1976 Olympic Gold Medalist in Men's Trap at the XXI Olympiad in Montreal, Canada. Don unfortunately passed away in February 2003 from complications with his stroke suffered many years before. As many of you know, the Olympic Trap range at the newly opened Keystone Shooting Park near Pillow, Pennsylvania was dedicated to Don's memory during our opening ceremonies on May 1, 2011. Since that time, Kreighoff International has agreed to sponsor an annual event at the Keystone Shooting Park complex to honor Don's memory, of which you would find more details about on another thread that I posted last week.

I had the great pleasure on Saturday afternoon to host Don's mother Naomi at our range for a visit and tour. Also present was his cousin Lucille Szabo from Ohio and her husband Ed. At the tender age of 93, Naomi is still extremely sharp and mobile. Both she and Lucille were so very grateful for our recognition of Don and his accomplishment. They were not even aware yet regarding the Kreighoff memorial event, until a divulged the information to them after their arrival. Once again, they were stunned and grateful.

Naomi will turn 94 on September 22nd, which is only 4 days after our Kreighoff-Haldeman Cup event late this summer. It is the intention of Chubb International Shooting Sports and Keystone Shooting Park to give Naomi a birthday present of a "Signature Book" from as many people as possible. We would welcome all readers and posters to Trapshooters.com to offer words of gratitude for Don's accomplishment, birthday wishes to her and any stories about your interaction with Don during his career. Regardless of whether you knew Don or not, your words would be greatly appreciated. We ask that everyone properly identfy themselves at the end of the post with their full name and state of residence so that she can more readily enjoy the comment and possibly even recognize your name, because her mind is still very sharp.

The comments and wishes will be cut and pasted into an "Olympic Signature Book" along with photos of Don, which will be given to Naomi on her birthday. Another copy will also remain at the KSP club house for all to enjoy in the years to come. It is our sincere goal to have this thread become the highest rated response thread in Trapshooters.com history. Please help us honor her and her family with a priceless gift that won't cost you anything, but a few moments of your time. We will not terminate this thread until right after the Kreighoff-Haldeman Cup on September 18th, so please encourage your friends to participate even if they are not posters to the site or computer literate.

Attached are two photos taken of Naomi and her family during her visit to the range on Saturday. Please enjoy!!!!

Allen Chubb - President - Chubb International Shooting Sports, Inc.

2. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

While I didn't know him during his heyday, it certainly seemed to me that, unlike some athletes at the top of their sport, Don was never too busy or too important to talk to you or try to help another shooter. He was as 'regular' a guy as you could hope to meet. Watching him shoot, you'd say to yourself, "Boy, he makes it look easy" - which, as in most sports, is the highest of praise.
    -J.F. Wolfington

3. Allen Chubb

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Not only was Don a great shooter but also an excellent stock maker. An almost shy kind of a guy who never bragged about his accomplishments but was always ready to give you advice and encouragement, when requested. I still have the shooting bag that he autographed for my daughter, after his big win in Montreal. I feel fortunate to have shot with him at Bucks County and Hatboro gun clubs.

Ed Yanchok
    Warren, NJ

5. Allen Chubb

6. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

I believe Don shot a release trigger (in a Browning gun) which is now outlawed in international shooting. I'm sure Mr. Chubb will corect me if I'm wrong. People I knew back then that knew Mr. Haldemen respected him very much. Jimmy Borum

7. GR8Guns

GR8Guns TS Member

I first met Don in the 70s at the USAMU shotgun range (Hook Range) at Ft Benning, Georgia.

Ed Y is spot on, Don was a good stock maker.

Don was often called the "Gentle Giant", he was humble, good natured and soft spoken with anyone he ever encountered.

When I first met Don he was shooting a Krieghoff M32, I believe that M32 was also the very same gun he used when he won and brought home the Gold Medal from Montreal in 1976.

COL (r) Bruce Elliott

North Carolina

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Don used a mod. 32 Krieghoff with a release pull setup to win the medal.

9. clb

clb TS Member

I grew up in Souderton, Don was two years older than me. I would go with my grandfather Charlie Hangey to the Souderton Harleysvill Fish and Game Assn for their Friday night trapshoots. I remember Don coming out to their Hunters shoots prior to small game season.

My father was a tool and die maker for 40 years or so at the Budd Co in Philadelphia. Don was also a tool and die maker for Budd so they worked together.

I had the pleasure of shooting with Don at the old Roxborough Gun Club in Phila along with my grandfather on the squad. A memory I won't forget.

Don did shoot release/pull. He told me he could get the second shot off faster using this setup.

I agree Don was an excellent stockmaker. He fitted a replacement Parker buttstock, recut the checkering and refinished the stock on my SC Parker.

I would see Don occasionally at the Pa State shoot after he had his stroke. He never failed to ask how my father was doing.

My thanks to Allen Chubb for honoring Don the way he did.

Charles Larry Bishop
    Harrisburg, Pa.

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

ChuckieB, I also worked with your father, I think he retired in the early 80's Do you remember one of your fathers friends named Les Sylomosi that lived nearby?

11. dberman

dberman Member

To Don's Mom: I remember Don as a super guy, a great shooter and a gentlemen. The year he won the Gold he came to the Roxborough Gun Club in northeast Philly(long time closed)I was squad leader and there was an open spot and we were asked to wait for this 'other' shooter. I recognized him immediatly! When he finally joined us on the line,Don thanked everyone and we started. Don broke the 100 as if it was second nature. Don was deliberate, business like, and very quiet. All the squad member shook his hand and realized Don was a gold medal winner. Don was so humble and shy about his fame. There was a picture of him with his medal on the club's news wall, which he signed. In life God blessed him and I'm sure it was that way later on.
    David Berman (Phila. area) - proud to have known Don

12. clb

clb TS Member

Toolmaker 251, the name doesn't ring a bell but it's been many years ago. Please send me an e-mail to the addy above with more info. Are you Les?

13. Allen Chubb

14. Allen Chubb

15. Allen Chubb

16. Allen Chubb

17. Allen Chubb

18. Allen Chubb