1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dominion Va Power People Question.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

This question is for anyone who had to have a hookup by Va Power and or those who work with Va Power.

I am going to have to have an over the head line put in to a workshop on the farm. I heard that DVP either does not do that any more or its hard to get them to do it because of cost of putting it in and return income. Is this true or not or how do I get it done?

2. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Auctioneer,

A lot of things will come into play. Do you need 3-phase? How far away is the nearest transformer? Will you need to go over a neighbor's property.

Their position is that if the project is going to cost them more than they can expect to recover in a certain amount of time, then they won't do it for free. 10 years aga, I needed to have 3-phase brought in. The shop is about 400 yards from the nearest power line with all three legs. They sent a rep out and he looked at the conditions and gave me a quote of $11,000.00. I wasn't here when he came and I think that may have worked against me. If I had been able to talk to him and explain what I intended to do and approximately how much power I was going to use annually, I believe things would have worked out better. I have 2 400 Amp panels in my home. I ended up running a 200 Amp service underground out to the shop and setting up a rotary phase converter. I can run up to about 10 HP on it so if I have to rip and joint, I can easily run my ripsaw and my jointer at the same time. If I needed more than that...well, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

All the best, Kit Thomas

3. Auctioneer

The transformer is about 150 to 200 feet away. I will know more later today on that. No 3 phase. Its all on my property. I also have a power pole that was removed from another site that no one wanted. I'm a pack rat. Its a salt treated pole so it can go back up by EPA rules. All I really need is a way to put the pole back up and the wire put in place and I can have the rest done.

4. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

Al Gore might have some solutions for you: Windmill, water mill (dam & turbine), Solar panels. The options are numerous.

Me -- I would go with a coal-fired steam generator or a nuclear reactor....but that's just me.

Bruce

5. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Auctioneer,

Not trying to change horses amid stream, but do the conditions allow for underground service. They seem to like that now. If your electrician sets the breaker panel inside the shop, they would run right to it and then you could wire the place as needed and call them in to approve the hookup.

I apologize if some of this info is not accurate. All of a sudden, I realized that my memory for details is fading.

Kit

6. Auctioneer

Let me give alittle bit more info. I have been doing work alittle bit at a time. Last year I rented a ditch witch and the first 100 feet it was JUST FINE. Then I got to the gate and all hell broke loose. ROCK ROCK AND MORE *&^*ing ROCK. LOL I broke the chain or digger off the first DW and had to get another one. This time they gave me a riding one and now I can ride a bucking bull just fine. That was 200 feet worth of digging. I cleaned out the rocks and put soft dirt under and on top of the black drain pipe that I had the wire in. Its 2 feet in the ground.

When my friend who is an electricion came by he was not happy with the size wire I had. It was what I was told to buy by another electricion. He is worried that the amps will be to low for the 220 motors. He is now doing some work on what size line would be needed to work everything and to be big enough for anothe line to go to the barn that is 300 feet away. That is another job for the years to come. If the underground wire is not going to be big enough then I will have to go with a over the head line. I would rather have the line underground. If we can get a underground line that is the right size we are hoping to pull the smaller one out with the larger one right behind it.

7. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

I just remembered something. Tomorrow, call the county codes compliance people and get one of their inspectors to come and rate the maximum amperage your motors will be pulling and get him to approve or disapprove the wire you already have in place.

I'm hearing you say you would really rather have underground service. Have you done a cost analysis on re-digging the soft dirt vs. having Va. Power run the line overhead?

Kit

8. Auctioneer

Thanks for all the info 1oz.

I can't do much till Tuesday because of Mon being a holiday. I'm looking at all ways to take care of this problem. Yes I'm also planning to call them and have them come out and tell me how much for an over head line and I'm also looking in replacing the line I have now. If the new line is not to big I would like to snake it through the pipe. When they do come out I will tell them I have big plans and I will need alot of power.

I want to have the main line come in so I can split it off and go to other buildings.

My plan's are to first have power to the shop. In time put power to all three barns. The big barn as we call it for renting it out to horse people. Also at the big barn put a second well in. Put in a 220 for the farrier so he can work his forge. A water heater 220 also. The other two barns I want lights so I can use them for storage.

9. Auctioneer

I called DVP and to my surprised they were open today. Holiday and all. They gave me a name and now I'm waiting for him to now call me. A friend who lives up the road from he also works for DVP and he is going to talk to him Tuesday. He also said that it was not a problem to have a hook up done. I will have to have a new meter put in. The way he said things I got the feeling they are hungry. I will know more later this week.

10. Auctioneer

Just got a call from DVP and they are coming out Wed at 8:00am. I hope to know more then.

11. Auctioneer

VP came out this morning and I will knoiw more next week.

12. Auctioneer

Well they came out and looked things over. I also got their cost sheet for putting the line underground. $1820.00 To go 250 feet. We are now looking at over head line. I don't want an over head line and I don't want a second meter but thats life. I will know more on that later.

13. Auctioneer

Got a call on Fri and was told to go over head with a line it would be $708.00. Thats alot better then the $1820.00 I would raither have an underground line but I have to take what I can get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.