1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dominate eyeball

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by neofight, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neofight

neofight TS Member

Newbie here, been shooting since April and having a good time, but i find myself dazed and corn-fuzed about this dominant eye thing. I have been shooting with both eyes open when calling the bird in order to see a wider field, but my left eye closes as the bird flies, i swing up and pull the trigger. I don't think i have been doing too bad, breaking around 22-24(mostly 22-23).

After reading that many shooters use both eyes, i shouldered my gun and found that my left eye sees quite clearly the left side of the barrel, while the right eye sees down the length of the rib, but it seems like a shadow compared with the left eye view. I have not tried shooting this way and i am wondering if i should even try since it appears that my left eye is the dominant one. Should i continue on, doing what i am doing, should i retrain my right eye, should i convert to a leftie?

I feel comfortable shooting with my right eye and have no plans on winning any $100,000 prizes, so, any suggestions? Btw, i hate shooting with bi-focals,grrrrrrrrrrr.

2. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Little piece of cloudy scotch tape in the upper left hand corner of your lens.

You will be all set. leave both eyes open and your right eye will do all the work and leave the left eye out.

3. neofight

neofight TS Member

Just got back from the top of the hill where i hauled my portable trap, taped my lens as you suggested, kept both eyes open and started breaking birds with no problem. Thanks for the tip, it works!

4. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

If the tape bothers you try simply closing your left eye as you prepare to shoot and keep it closed until the gun comes down. It seems to work fine, although the 2 eye'ed shooters will not agree. I shoot with one eye and don't like the tape. Not that it's a problem during actual shooting, just all the other times.
    dju

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.