1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dominant Eye

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Traders, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Last weekend I had the opportunity to watch an instructor working with a new trap shooting student. The student was an experienced hunter but had never shot trap. The instructor determined that the student's left eye was dominant and advised the student to try to shoot from the left shoulder. The student did and shot a reasonable score, about 17. Next he tried to shoot from the right shoulder. Shot a 19. Student said he was keeping both eyes open. He hunts from the right shoulder. What i don't understand is how anyone can shoot successfully if their dominant eye is not looking down the barrel and both eyes are open. Any ideas.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

He is using both eyes to point the gun in the general direction of the target. The gun fits and hits where he is looking. HMB

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I don't think it works that way hmb. The shooter would still have to point from his right or left eye. Hold your finger out and point at an object, then close each eye seperately. Only one of the eyes will line up on the object you are pointing at. The point with the non dominant eye is substantially out of line.

4. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

It is a very complicated subject. No one right answer. Each shooter has to figure what works best for them after a lot of lead down the pipe. rich

5. deankol

deankol Member

HMB you said in another post people were giving the worst advice you heard. Here you say what I believe to be the most ridiculous statement yet. Pointed in the general direction.... WTF. Really. If that were true I, or anyone else, can hip shoot to the hall of fame. Gyrine, one can shoot a shipload of lead down range and never get any better than where he/she started out if the basics are not sorted out. The eye is the rear sight of a shotgun. Imagine shifting the rear sight 2.5 inches or so. What does that do?

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I'm Left hand shot, right eye dominant and was a two eyed shooter into my late thirties. I believed this problem could be overcome and went down several paths including trying to switch over to the right shoulder. I finely gave into taped eye ware, this was thirty years ago. At the time there was really no one to talk with about my problem and I spent a long time trying to figure out hold points, where to look and so on before I could get back on track.
    One of my major problems; on certain days, I could shoot two eyed with no problems, this gave me false hope I could remain shooting two eyed slowing my transition to one eye.

Phil Kiner proably has the best insight regarding eye dominance issues and his video is a great place to start when trying to make the switch to one eyed shooting. I wish he was around when my problem started, he would have saved me a lot grief. I would regard anything Nora Ross has to say about one eyed shooting to be fact. I don't know if she has anything published covering this topic.

Now here's the strange thing, I can shoot all the skeet and sporting clays passing shots two eyed only to have the going away shots go haywire because my eyes are switching back and forth. If I hold the gun under my armpit or on my hip my scores go up. Once I get barrel away from blocking my eye and just look at the target, good things happen.

HMB isn't really off base with his remark, if you get a good vision lock on the target, your hands and barrel will follow making a the shot, it just depends which eye at that moment locked on the target, this is the root of the problem, the eyes are always battling which one gets to lock on the target.

Do yourself a favor and get Kiner's video. Good luck.......

Surfer

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Thanks Surfer. The point I was trying to make was this fellow had his own method of shooting. It worked for him. HMB

8. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

dead on 4, I agree, my experience is very similar to yours. The shifting of dominance is the true problem and it is not a one size fits all issue. I have tried every known fix at one time or another and the only "fix" that worked for me is close one eye and pop some caps to figure out, without thinking, where the POI is when your eye is locked on the target. In my opinion takes some shooting to develop confidence and stop experimenting. I have'nt got there yet but I'm working on it. Ditto on your view of Phil Kiner. Rich

9. Beni

Beni Member

if one eye is dominant say the left eye for a right handed shooter how can both eyes argue about which one is going to lock on a target. im cross eyed dominant tried many many methods to change,not going to happen. when I try to shoot both eyes open i see two birds maybe I need bourbon??? beni

10. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Drink the whiskey now or later. It effects your brain in a nice way. In the meantime, close your left eye, it's a brain thing too. Rich

11. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

HMB is right; gun fit is critical. I shot my limit of Sandhill cranes today with my goofy eyes. AJ

12. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

I think most of you guys are missing my question. This student I observed was an experienced hunter but had never shot trap before. He seemed to be able to shoot from either shoulder with slightly better scores when he shot with the nondominant eye over the barrel. Any ideas on how this could happen. He believes he is shooting with both eyes open. In theory, his scores shoot have been much worse with the nondeominat eye over the barrel.

13. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Beni
    Your eye or eyes are feeding iformation to your brain continually and it seems the eye who has the clearest view of the target wants to make the shot, this eye is usually the off eye because it's not blocked by the barrel and has the clearest view.

When you're a two eyed shooter, both eyes see the target and this is when the battle begins with a dominate off eye. The problem is between the eye over the barrel and the one that's not.

Many times you will see a right hand shooter going for a left hand target and he misses, shooting behind. This is because the left eye saw it first and gave the pull trigger command to the brain even though the barrel the wasn't even close to the target.. Another version is the same target and pull trigger command is given to the brain who says, woa! wrong information and waits for the on eye to give the command and then the off eye says no, I'm the command center. All of this takes place in milliseconds. This scenario plays out in to ways a stopped gun or a zig zagging barrel, either one way it ends in a missed target.

There's an old saying, "Let your eye shoot the target" Meaning when your eye's on target and your hands have followed, the eye says to the brain, pull the trigger, you better pull the trigger.

I think all of us have second guessed our eye commnd at one time or another.
    By this, I mean we've gone to the target and the eye command pull trigger has been given and we don't don't believe it, so we don't shoot losing the target. After the loss we can't believe we didn't pull the trigger, we were right there on target! Why, we didn't believe our eye gave the right information, we didn't trust our eye. I think this is the root of eye dominance, lack of faith................ well! maybe

Like Kiner says, If someone can figure out what causes eye cross dominance, they stand to make a ton of money.

If you're seeing two barrels, your are probably crossing your eyes or one eye is skewing off creating two images

Surfer

14. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Another good post by Surfer but I'm right handed and when I go after a left angle and my left eye decides to take control, I end up shooting way in front of the bird.

15. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

If all else fails try contacs with monovision. Some can do it and some can't but it is worth a try.Monavision is useing a reading lense in one eye and a distance lense in the other.For some people it works well but not all.It is worth a try.When you look at a distance the eye with the distance lense will take over and you can still use two eyes.Maybe it will work for you maybey not but worth a try

16. billn

billn Member

Go see a doctor , he can correct it with out using any thing else, I had the same trouble and it helped me after he checked it out. Tell him that you shoot trap , etc.

17. psfive

psfive Member

Mono vision.

I shoot from my left side with a left dominate eye.

My doctor made my left eye which was to be my READING eye my distance eye. Then he made my right eye which was to be my DISTANCE eye my reading eye. He did this with contacts. After a very short time (no more than three days) I adjusted to my new sight picture. Mono vision works very well for me. Paul In Nebraska.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

monovision contacts for trapshooting

trap shooting problems dominant eye