1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? dominant eye,cross firing???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jackmac, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackmac

jackmac TS Member

I'm starting my third year of trap shooting.I know I'm getting older and the eyes are not the same as they used to be.(56)My scores bounce from 23's 22's down to 17,18etc. I sometimes have trouble seeing the bird,causing a flinch. I think I'm cross firing. Anybody have any experience with what I think is called a barrel blinder, and how does it work?

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Phil Kiner has coached a lot of shooters with the crossfire problem. Phil wrote some excellent articles in Trap & Field on the subject. He recommends doing whatever it takes to solve the problem, try the rib blinder, hooded fiber optic front bead, small patch of tape on off eye lens, progressively larger patches of tape or closing the off eye completely. Phil posted his article on trapshooters.com and I saved it on my hard drive. I can email the article if you want.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Just my experience: I am right eye dominant and I shoot right handed. In the last year I have lost a good amount of vision in my right eye, but my left eye is fine and enables me to pick up the target. However, it has NOT changed my eye dominance, and I do not cross fire.

It is well established that eye dominance is determined in the brain and is not related to visual acuity in either eye. I think cross firing often occurs when looking back at the barrel and seeing the entire side of the barrel (or barrels) with one eye, while your dominant eye only sees a tiny bead and maybe a little bit of the rib.

With my eye problems, I just concentrate that much more trying to see the target, and pay no attention to the barrel. If I don't see the target well I just shoot anyway, and most of the time I still hit it.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

jackmac,
    The next time you shoot a round of trap try this. Shoot the first bird using one eye and the second bird using two eyes. Alternate using one and then two eyes until you complete the round. This drill helps me when I tend to crossfire. HMB

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

miketmx made a nice offer. Take his offer. Phil has worked with this problem a lot and he can help you. For me, a little tape on my left lens works.

Pat Ireland

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have been shooting since 1958 as a leftie who shoots rightie with both eyes open. For me, what works is maintaining discipline to keep eyes on the target, while keeping my focal point above my hold point when I call for the bird. I use Les Greevy's "quiet eye" technique, which simply means I am ready to locate and attack the bird when I call for it.

Many folks with a similar condition, that is a rh shooter with left dominant eye, use a patch over their left eye. I have shot so many years without the patch that I do not use it. At my age, with my eyesight, I need both eyes for depth perception. Bunker and skeet make one eyed shooting tough.

Browning makes a translucent spot that works for many shooters. Scotch tape is used as well.

Switching to the HiViz has helped me virtually eliminate bead checking. It is so prominent in my peripheral vision that it is not necessary to focus on it to see it. I would not have thought this simple device so effective before I tried it.

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

In the original post, jackmac said he THINKS he might be cross-firing. The very first thing to do is to use one of the many methods to determine what his eye dominance actually is. That may not be the problem.

Like Shooting Coach, I use a very large fiberoptic bead on the front sight. It does eliminate any need to ever look back at the barrel

8. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

jackmac- I tried to email you and it came back. I will discuss with you if you wish- contact me at pkinerATphilkinerDOTCOM. Phil

9. jackmac

jackmac TS Member

miketmx
    I appreciate your offer and your help.Please e mail me at rbtklr69@yahoo.com
    Once again thanks for your response.Thanks to all.I now have a place to start.

10. jackmac

jackmac TS Member

I've looked on the inter net for rib blinder.Where can I get one?
    jackmac

11. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Gamaliel has them their site is www.gamaliel.com.Thats where I got mine.

12. IM390

IM390 Member

I'm a right handed shooter that closes my left eye. Closing an eye is made out to be a lot worse than it really is. I just turned 55 and have had my best year yet averaging 94%. Vic Reinders use to recommend a little Vaseline or a small piece of electrical tape. Concentration and closing one eye works for me.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A Uni-Dot turned things around for me. I could not shoot with both eyes open due to crossfiring. And with one eye I was having trouble judging distance. Installed a Uni-Dot. My scores dropped for a couple of months, but then I ran my first 25 and 50. I've installed Uni-Dots on almost all my shotguns, including field guns. The trick to using a Uni-Dot is to never look at the dot. Focus on the target and with your peripheral vision bring the dot to the target. If you look at the dot you'll miss.

As for taping glasses, etc., that drives me nuts. I hate blurry stuff in front of my eye. And my scores are low without 3D vision.

http://www.uni-dot.com/Uni-Dot/images/3guns.jpg

http://www.uni-dot.com/Uni-Dot/Unihome.htm

14. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

I guess I'll get involved in this because I, too, have bad eye problems. I'm a lefty with right dominant eye. But more than that, inside, I am cross-eyed. Had it cosmetically fixed when I was 19. They are straight if you're looking at me but inside, that's different. I also have glaucoma, losing some peripherial vision, forgive the spelling, in my left eye. Not complaining. Just a fact that comes with age. I must have both eyes open. I've been shooting much better since I put on a double protection device -- Meadows Industries florescent sighting tube and a Meadows blinder. If I keep my head on the stock, I don't cross fire. Took me about 10 to 20 rounds to quit looking at the bright bead through the tunnel. I look just over it. Good luck with whatever you try. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.
    Guy

15. Mark V

Mark V Member

miketmx - Would you please forward a copy of Mr. Kiner's article.

Best Regards, Mark V.

16. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

To Mark you have mail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.