1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Domestic VS. Foreign your thoughts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Advsporttech.com, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Advsporttech.com

Advsporttech.com TS Member

Recently we posted our new product to the market. We recieved many comments, mostly concerning the price. My partners and I have looked at all angles for making this product as inexpensive as possible while still maintaining asthetics and quality. I myself as well as my partners designed, machined and assembled each and everyone of these (Trust me when I say cleaning aluminum chips out of a CNC mill isn't all that fun) To bring what we consider highest of quality product. Price seems to be the number 1 thing people don't like. We have not looked into getting these made over seas because frankly we would rather give an American the work. But that will be looked at more thoroughly as will other options that we previosly have looked at.

The question I have for you, our fellow trap shooting enthusiasts, what is more important,

American made product with a higher cost'

Foreign made product that is less expensive,

Asthetics not important- Anodize, forged as opposed to machined etc;,

we look forward to your thought.

Respectfully,
    Advanced Sporting Technologies, Inc.

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

American made with slightly higher cost.

I like hand made high quality products.

Jim Skeel

skeeljc_2008_030332.jpg

skeeljc_2008_030379.jpg

skeeljc_2008_030334.jpg

3. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

If I remember the product in question is the shell holder, The fully machined pieces that hold 5 shells in a row.
    If so, here's my input.
    You could make it out if plastic with metal liners were the shell rims fit. That would be cheaper for mass production and function the same. But in my opinion it wouldn't put sales through the roof.
    Here's how I see it. When I get ready to go to the line I take my box of shells and put box and all in my shooting vest pocket. I am lead off shooter at times. I know I shot 5 times when a row of shells are missing from the box. For myself, your product would make me go through one more step before I went to the line in taking the shells from my box and loading your shell holder. I can't see an advantage for the way I shoot to use your product. Others just dump shells into a pouch. I can't see any of those shooters buying a product such as yours. Now I'm not running your product down, (I'm a machinist by trade and your product looks impressive) I'm saying it's not an item that's going to appeal to the masses.

Joe

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Quality wins out for me; however, value is very important also.

From a business perspective, moving production toward a less expensive solution makes sense, if the result maintains acceptible quality standards for you and your customers.

Operating with higher production costs for the sake of strictly maintaining Made In American is counterintuitive from a business case perspective.

I really prefer American made quality products that provide good value. I will not jeopardize common sense however to doggedly maintain fidelity to the USA as a consumer.

Capitalism is a tough gig. Its progression includes the reduction of production costs when feasible. Reduced production cost puts more money in your R&D program for the development of new designs/prototypes-- or maybe just more cash in your check book to pay bills.

Patriotism is something else altogether--no margins involved.

Complete a business case analysis that includes risk assessments, and let the numbers answer your questions.

Is it a hobby, or a business?

Good luck,

Guy Babin

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Is it necessary to sell a "set" of them for that kind of money? What about people who would get by just fine with one or two?

6. Advsporttech.com

We are exploring all options right now. We have to look at our operating costs to better serve our customers. To answer your question, no you don't have to buy a whole set.

7. Advsporttech.com

Unfortunately, plastic is an option we don't want to use. Yes, it is cheaper then aluminum, but fragile. We don't want a product with our name to be known as something that has to be replaced often. As I see it, under normal use, one would never have to replace the holder. To test this, I threw one at the ground with everything I had and it only had some scrapes and dings. To be honest, I am 6'1" 260lbs and can put my " weight " behind a throw. Try that with plastic, especially in a cooler climate like NY in the winter and crack goes the holder.I know from a business stand point, selling something that never has to be replaced can be a hinderance to growth, but being known for selling inferior products is worse in my book.

8. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

In my honest opinion, with absolutely no hurt ment, you are trying to sell something that is a non essential for a high price.

Sure, shell holders are non essential if you get down to it, but we are all going to have one. The difference is that void can be filled for five bucks.

You are working in a market with little demand for that particular product, especially at that price, and that would be your trouble. (again IMO)

Nick

9. soup

soup Member

I'll take the RED_WHITE & BLUE anyday .
    Soup

10. soup

soup Member

I'll take the RED_WHITE & BLUE anyday .
    Soup

11. soup

soup Member

I'll take the RED-WHITE & BLUE anyday .
    Soup

12. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Even if it cost more, I'll take Made in America, by an American owned company first, because I am an American! Anything else is second best and you know what they say about second place, second is the first loser!!!

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

In most cases "made in America" has a bearing on high ticket items. Many consumers consider patriotism along with quality at the high end. For low end specially items, catering to a very small specialized market segment, price is usually secondary to need, desire, and quality. After 30+ years in Corporate Sales and Marketing that's my take........

14. APrice

APrice Active Member

I don't think domestic vs. foreign is your real problem with your shell holder product. It just doesn't appear to be a worthwhile improvement on what is already available and in my opinion, you wouldn't really sell a whole lot of them for $10, much less what you are now asking. Some ideas that seem good on paper just don't need to make it into production.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.