1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Domestic Diesel Truck: Blue Added Fluid

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi,

Anybody had experience (yet) with a Dodge, Ford, or GM diesel pickup that runs the additional Blu-Tech fluid? How's power, problems, if any, working out?

Any experience with either the new Ford 6.7 diesel or the new Chevy/GMC latest editions of 2011/2012 with duramax 6.6?

Thanks...need to get education about these up to speed 'cause I'm considering one or the other...or maybe even a Dodge diesel.

Thanks,

David

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Dodge, drive the best, forget the rest.

GneJ

3. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

check ur PM

4. Hawgduo

Hawgduo Member

pm sent also

5. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

THE UREA SOLUTION GETS INJECTED INTO THE EXHAUST. HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PERFORMANCE, JUST EMISSIONS. CUMMINS PERFORMS THE BEST. YOU HAVE TO BUY THE RAM TO GET IT.

6. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

Ran one of the new Fords from ATL to Cleveland OH pulling a 32-34 trailer with gear and 4 horses. Truck ran fine with enough power. Seats were awful to me, owners loved the truck though. Averaged 8.5mpg, but I was strollin' the whole trip. My Uncle has a new Chevy and hates his new truck. Just not as comfortable as his old one.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

the new diesels are awesome trucks..but 55 cents a gallon more than gasoline is making alot of owners cry at the pump

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Oh, I thought the urea went into the combustion process, but thnking about it, nitrogen type of chemicals under those conditions would create awful emissions, that would burn the eyes etc. Does the urea, at least, help keep the particulate filter cleaner? I doubt it, but one can hope...

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The particulate filter is for collecting soot and urea injection has nothing to do with soot. Your regen cycles will vary in mileage intervals depending on how the truck is driven and the type of fuel. Biofuel will produce more soot then straight #2

10. letts

letts TS Member

I understand its made from chicken droppings, You know recycled chicken $hit.

Letts

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Update: Took delivery on new 4x4 GMC with Duramax on Tuesday. Bought some urea fluid (not needed, but to keep in truck when traveling) at Pep Boys. Like the truck very much so far, amazingly, gets what seems to be impressive fuel mileage..18+ mpg from Bakerfield to L.A. on a brand new truck being delivered on dealer exchange.

As "they", whoever "they" are, time will tell. Ironically, received my latest Car and Driver Magazine. Interesting 3 way comparison test between Ford, Dodge, Chevy crew cab, 4x4, 3/4 ton diesels.

C&D magazine rates the GM product the best, but knocks the GM product's interior which I like. Heck, IMO, they are all good, but GM and Dodge proven products and the GM suits me just a little bit better.

12. CalvinMD

they are all very nice trucks..good luck with yours!! Maybe they will figure out one day how we can use our own urea naturally right from the source ; )) One stop fillups if you park by a beer tent.

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I like that idea! Fill with our own urea. Rather a bummer, if one thinks about it. I have head that a lot of commercially sold urea for fertilizer is really from sanitation plants that sell the (of course processed and refined) human by-product. And "nitrohumous" is relly a "nice" term for the other product "cooked" at sanitation plants. The TP, I have been told, but not sure, is dried out and used to print the Congressional Record. That may just be a rumor, but I'm not sure.

I do like the design of the itnerior, best of all, contrary to most reviewers. More European, more organic. My "bitch" with GM: Too often the plastic used was designed well, but cheap in execution. If only Obama Motors would let the engineers do more of their thing for strength and quality throughout the entire vehicle...I have found that GM cars hold up for me, but after 8, 10 years, the little clips, handles, knobs and stuff like that fails and needs to be replaced as it breaks. Better that than mechanical stuff...

Yup, all big three trucks are, IMO, the best in the world. Next year, heck, Ford or Dodge might clearly be superior or GM considered even better. IMO, all depends upon budgeting within the corporation(s) and the educated guesses taken therein re. what will be best for the bottom line.

My review: This new generation truck, so far, is quieter and more "plushy", but forward visability not nearly as good. Some minor things in interior cheapened (like plastic sill plates, trivial, but this is a truck and all should be beerfy) and the On-Star trial stuff is addictive. I mean free turn by turn directions for 6 mos., get the customer addicted, then a buck a day to continue? No thanks..and, other ways "they get you" with some accessories that ought to be standard...like wheel well plastic guards/covers, spare tire lock, I mean, come on, make that stuff standard and finish building the damn truck!! Fuel mileage improved, it seems, over the LBZ Duramax; can't say about the power, seems pretty much the same, but truck driven lightly now on breakin at this point. Trans seems to match ratios a bit more intelligently.

Again, bottom line: Time will tell.

14. Borderland

Borderland Member

I know next to nothing about the urea additive but the salesman told me that I only had a couple more starts if I let the light come on for low fluid, havent tried to avoid it yet. I know in gas engines the EGR valve works by contaminating the intake air and lowers power, fuel economy and nitrous oxide emissions via lower combustion temps. As far as injecting nitrogen into the intake...Shell advertises that their gas has nitrogen added to clean parts in the intake path, I dont see how that can square with efforts to reduce nitrous-oxide emissions.

15. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

The urea should last from oil change to oil change or close to it. Do NOT add to it......if you put some in make sure you fill it to the top,cause thats how it re sets itself. Should be a gauge showing how full it is. If you just add a little now & then, your screwed. Wait till its low and re fill to the top so it can re set. Thats how the Dodge cumings works, not sure about ford or gm. Urea also has a shelf life so don't stock pile it. It does go bad after a while.

crab

16. CalvinMD

I guess that means topping off "naturally" is out to stretch the amount of time between fillups

17. ctreay

ctreay Member

Mercedes has what they call the blue tech, does that require the urea fluid also?

ctreay

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My Alaska pals tell me that the urea will freeze there, prompting owners to install a chip that will defeat the urea system. You can't just let the urea tank run dry, because it will only allow a limited range after the warning light comes on, and then puts the truck into limp mode.

19. Hooked

Hooked Member

I've had a F350 with the new 6.7L Powerstroke for almost a year now. Very happy with the power, mileage and ride of the whole package.

I can fill the DEF tank at anytime, but can usually get around 5,000 miles between fills (depends on how much towing I do). I get a notice when the tank gets to half empty and then get a count down message when there's only approx 500 miles left before it goes into limp mode. There is a heater in the DEF tank and line to keep the system operating in below freezing temps. I also believe that the DEF system does not operate in below freezing temps until the system thaws out. I had no problems with freeze up on my Sask whitetail hunt last Nov/Dec.

DEF is $12 for 2.5 gal at O'Rileys and about $2.75 per gal at truck stops with DEF pumps. Overall, DEF has been a non-event for me.

Brian

20. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

So what's the DEF mpg? How about the diesel mpg?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beerfy