1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dogs at trap shoots???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

The jury is still out for me, dont get me wrong, Ive had dogs all my life, got one good treeing mt. cur now.. I love them as much as the next guy,well maybe not, mine dont sleep in the house but...
    It seems like a couple of shoots this year there were more dogs than kids.. So far I have seen one real nice o/u knocked down to the ground by a big lab dragging his leash, (Leaned against a cedar tree,no gun rack close by) saw one little kid at sparta get her hand snapped when she wandered over to pet a leashed dog.. It mush have scared her pretty bad,she thought her hand was gone, saw one good dog fight while the kids were shooting..or tring to shoot, between all the barking,snarling, squeeling and owners hollering and kicking, it made shooting a little hard to do.. One shoot we pulled up to I thought I was at a field trial..lol.. your opinion? thanks!

2. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have been shooting registered trap since 1967. I cannot remember seeing a mean dog at a gun club. Most shooters own hunting dogs, retrievers, pointers etc. by nature these animals are extremely friendly. My current dog of 6 years is a Golden Retriever, he would like to be petted by everyone at the gun club. He replaced a Chocholate Lab. Other than befriending everyone, the Lab would swim at any opportunity, we kept him teathered if a lake was on the club grounds. Our first Golden, with the squads permission, would sit at my feet while we shot. This was common at little money shoots and my squad would want him to be there as he seemed to be a good luck charm as everytime he was with us, we all shot well.

I used to attend the Waterfowl Festival in Easton, Maryland. There would be hundreds of retreiveing breeds all over town. I never saw a dog fight and the only barking I recall was a sort of "Hey, how are ya" Now, my Chocholate Lab would cry something awful at the retreiver trials as he was not being allowed to play too. Dogs need to be acclimated to people to function well around them. Possibly your experiences are due to exposure to caged or kenneled animals.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Really not a good place for them although I do understand that people like to travel with their dogs. I am also a 'dog guy' and take my boys just about everywhere I go - except to the trap range. I just have too many other things going on at the range to pay any attention to my pals which means they would just have to stay in their dog boxes all day. Not good or fun for them.

Barking or crying dogs are an unwelcomed thing by most shooters as are dogs that aren't leash broke and do their best to trip everyone up. Something to consider before bringing your best friend to a trap shoot.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Never had a problem with "Smitty" when he was alive. Here he is doing his favorite trap club routine. I miss you pal.

[​IMG]

5. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Last year I took my dog with me to Deleware and Maryland and had no problems. Dogs are like kids. They aren't bad just bad owners(parents). To have a good dog requires time and effort. JMHO

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I love dogs at shoots. I love dogs, anyway. But I agree that ones that bark, are dangerous, or loose are not good to have around when one is competing.

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If I can't bring my best friend with me then you don't need me either. I don't trust anyone that dogs don't like or who doesn't like dogs. If you've never had the companionship of a good dog you could not understand.

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Remember Robert and Bob the dog? Bob used to carry Roberts shell carrier from trap to trap.

9. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

You say used to? Something happen to Bob? He was a sweetheart. Jake

10. target 1

target 1 Member

i've never met a dog that i didn't like an get along with can't say that about all trap shooter.

11. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Blkclould or is the scrooge, that type of thinking, one mistake and ban all dogs is mean and humorless.I hear that some people have gotten shot at gun clubs, maybe we should ban guns at gun clubs by that reasoning. I hope the owner of the dog paid for the repairs. At our big shoots dogs are required to be on leashes. At smaller one's they run free, people are to clean up after them,no problems. Bruce

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

There are a lot of people out there with this mentality that "everybody loves my dog". Well, I for one do not. I don't like someones dog running all over the place, barking, getting into stuff and in general, being a menace.

13. gotbass

gotbass Member

It would appear that Tron's cat is not dog friendly. Good cast Tron.

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Tron on this one. My big Labs go alot of places with me, but I never "inflict" them on anyone. Not everyone loves MY dog like I do and I try to remember that.
    Bill Wheeler

15. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I've had dogs my whole life - still do, but when I go to shoot or go where a lot of people are - he stays home; I'd rather other people do the same.

16. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Copper goes with me everytime I shoot, registered or otherwise. We have a responsibility to properly care for the animals at all times, but try leaving this guy at home - ain't gonn'a happen!

[​IMG]

Jon Reitz

17. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

At big shoots they should be under control of the owner. At small clubs many guys bring their dogs to break in to the gun noise. Also to learn some dicipline
    I have dogs and I am also to the notion that if a dog don't like a pictular person then I am very weary of that person.
    I took my dog on as a partner not just something to get out and play with when the notion hits. My dog sleeps in the house any damn place he pleases. On cool nights he sleeps in the same bed near the window. Hot nights he goes down stairs at the foot of the stairway. To stay cool and be on gaurd.
    I've have dogs all my life. If you understand your dog then he understands you. You can bet he can be trusted before any humane. Bill

18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Dogs arn't so bad, people who smoke those stinkin cigars, well thats another story.

19. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

The club I shoot at has a big male yellow lab that makes the rounds while we’re shooting. One day while shooting ZZ’s the lab came over for a good scratching, but I had cut it short to shoot my round. He then went to the gun rack and sniffed out my XT and lifted his leg on the lower stock. Everyone laughed including me, bottle of water and rag I was back in business.
    I take my 12 year-old lab everywhere with me but the gun ranges. I don’t want to have to worry about her meeting up with a dog hater or being confined in my vehicle.

20. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I for one have too many dogs to take (4) so when I travel a long distance for days at a time I like the people that have there dogs cause I miss mine and it makes me feel better to sit and talk with them. (The Dogs) Most people are ok but all dogs are good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.