1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dogs and Lymes disease

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dahaub, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Copper I have been out of dog ownership for several years but this breed is one that is interesting to me. Forty years ago I had a half lab and half irish setter pup that is a ringer for your dog. She was the color of a pumpkin and that's what we called her. She was and still is the best dog I ever owned. Good luck with getting your dog healed up and good hunting I bet that dog is a dandy. Dan

2. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

I have a 5 year old Shorthair and she has been given the vaccine with no ill effects. Nice dog...only problem I have ever had with that breed is they are very much a one person dog. A buddy of mine had one and we hunted our dogs together for many years and that dog would even retrieve to me. However, after the hunt if I went to pet it I risked losing some skin. Very loyal to the owner though and a real hard hunter.

3. Donm

Donm Active Member

I have three dogs, two shorthairs, and a lab. Have had dogs for 40years. I vacinate (sp) all of them. Ever since the vaccine came out. Never had a problem. I have had lyme's myself. They were to come out with a vaccine for humans a few years ago but never heard any more. Here in Wi. we have alot of deer ticks that carry the lymes.

4. porky

porky TS Member

You can vaccinate them yourself by getting the vaccines off of Pet Meds. They have everything except rabies on there.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I vaccinate my horse for lymes, too. Watch your dog for signs of early arthritis. I hear the treatment doesn't always work.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The tick population in the NE is out of control. All the good pesticides have been banned by the tree huggers. Many diseases can be transmitted by the ticks, some fatal is left untreated. HMB

7. zinger

zinger Member

both our dogs have lyme disease but with antibiotic treatments and now vacine every year, they both are doing good with no side affects.

8. porky

porky TS Member

Copper, If you also give your dog heart worm pills, you might look into the brand " Revolution ", It takes care of both ticks and heartworms plus a few other things.

9. buckshot57

buckshot57 TS Member

My shorthair contracted Lyme earlier this year. My vet says that the vaccine needs to be given before & not after he has Lyme. Is this true or is my vet just not correct?

10. zinger

zinger Member

our one dog woke up one day and could barely walk. She was so stiff and crippled which was unusual for a cattle dog so we took her to the vet where she tested positive for Lyme disease. I guess the standard protocol is for mega doses of antibiotics and then another test after a month. Her levels were still high so we had to do another month. She got better and then was vaccinated. She has been fine for the past 3 yrs with no noticeable signs of the disease. I don't know why a vaccine wouldn't work once the disease was treated? They also said that no matter how vigilante you are putting on the flea/tick treatments each month, they still can get it.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You should also have a plan to provide protection for yourself and your family members. Tick borne illnesses are very serious and need to be addressed. HMB

12. porky

porky TS Member

I knew one young man, not yet 45 that went undiagnosed until near the end of his life. Doctors couldn't figure out his problem. When they did, his nervous system and heart were too far gone. That was about 10 years ago. It wasn't as if the doctors hadn't heard of Lyme Disease. Trouble with doctors around here is that they think that they are god's and don't make any mistakes and we should genuflect before them as they enter a room.

13. zinger

zinger Member

hmb, we did! We got a flock of Guinea's who do a great job in the flea/tick population. We hardly found any ticks on the cats last year vs the year before where we were picking them off almost daily. You would not believe the difference those Guinea fowl made.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Zinger, I have Guinea hens too. They do a gret job, they eat bugs all day long. But be careful, some of those ticks are so small, it's easy to miss one. HMB

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

"Vaccinated dogs can develop disease as efficacy of the product is about 60 to 70% in preventing disease, thus antibiotics must be used in vaccinated dogs developing disease, just like it must be used in non-vaccinated diseased dogs."

R.D. Schultz

Ronald D. Schultz, Professor and Chair

Department of Pathobiological Sciences

School of Veterinary Medicine

University of Wisconsin-Madison

2015 Linden Drive West

Madison, WI 53706

16. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I read through all of the comments above. Nothing was said about protection for your dog. That is to say; K9 Advantix or Frontline Plus.

What is the general opinion about these two topical product that repels and kills various insects?

I have a three year old yellow Lab that I use K9 Advantix on. She sees the vet regularly and is up to date on all her shot and on heart worm meds.

The URL above compairs the two, K9 Advantix and Frontline Plus.

Frank

17. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I also gave my dog vitaminC which helped him a whole lot.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The testing for lyme disease leaves a lot to be desired. The labs only test for the most common strains which leaves a lot of holes in the results. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.