1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

doggy swamp smell

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have two beautiful yellow Labs that mean the world to me, and we have an odor problem in the summer with the little [80 lb.s] female. She has a habit of getting into some brackish water that lies nearby and comes up to the house looking pretty bad. Easy fix, hose her off or make her fetch a couple sticks in the clean river we live on. Problem is, she develops a yeasty, strong odor that no amount of soap will get rid of for very long. We have five other labs in the family and none of them have this problem no matter how dirty they get. Through accident [skunk incident] we found out that hydrogen peroxide in the bath water takes it away for a couple of weeks, but I don't know how good peroxide is for her skin and wouldn't want to do this weekly. Does anyone know of a fix for this? If not, would weekly peroxide baths be a health problem? My vet is clueless and has tried antibiotics, no help. She get's pretty itchy, too when the smell is bad. Poor girl. Any advice welcomed. Bill

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

What do you feed her? Some dogs are allergic to wheat flour and corn meal in dog food. Try food with rice or barley, or cut out grains completely and find foods that get carbs from sweet potatoes. Merrick is a great brand of dog food, made in Colorado, nothing imported.

Wayne

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

There is a marketed product for skunk odor. Have it at the house but not with me inorder to relay name. Might be worth considering.

I would also agree there is a high probability with a relation to her diet and possibly a alergy to bacteria in muck.

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Don't know if it could be her diet because the problem goes away in the winter with no change in the diet. Bill

5. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

The problem lies in the food she is getting.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Like pheasantmaster suggested, bacteria in the water. Along with skin and coat thats not 100% healthy could diminish resistance to bacteria. I use to raise Labs, and I'm thinking diet. You didn't say what you fed her. How much does she swim in the winter when it goes away? Even if she swims often in the winter, cold water has less bacteria. JMO. Good luck.

Wayne

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is practicle for you but I had a similar problem with one of my GSPs - he loves to swim in the irrigation ditches but even when dried he smelled bad. Then I started letting him swim in my little 15' chlorinated pool and the skanky dog smell went away withing a couple of days. He still hits the irrigation ditches but he also gets to swim in the clean chlorinated water at least every other day.

The problem with trying to wash the nastys off your dog is that the water and soap usually don't penetrate to the skin - especially with a thick coated lab. When they swim around and stay immersed for 20 minutes or so, I think the chances of getting wet to the skin are a lot better.

One thing is for sure, trying to keep a water dog out of the water is a futile effort. So I hope you find a solution that works for both of you - good luck.

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

We feed her Iams dog food. Weight control, due to her inherent chubbines. I definitely will try going to a rice based food and possibly a non grain, if necessary. Never really thought about food being a problem, but we're willing to try anything at this point. She swims almost not at all in the winter. Thanks for the input. Bill

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

slayer, wolfram may have a solution for you that I hadn't thought of. The chlorine in the water would/may kill the bacteria. If you had a chlorinated source of water nearby for experimental purposes it would be worth the effort. Unfortunately the river she likes to swim is another source to a lesser degree of bacteria.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It's also kind of fun to swim around with your pal - probably way overboard in most pople's eyes but hey it is just a $300 walmart pool and we have gotten our $300 worth of fun out of it many times over.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My female lab also takes on a strong yeasty odor within days of a bath..I know a lot of batheing isn't good for her skin so only do it when its unbearable...I do rinse her outdoors with the hose which she loves and towel dry her figuring its just the oils in her fur and she loves laying in the sun to get dry...I'm thinking maybe as you all were talking to try going to the different food thats rice based...I did try that once but she wouldn't eat the food long enough to know if it would make a difference....all I find with rice around here is "lamb and Rice" and it appears she really hates lamb and just wont eat it....does anyone know of another flavor like chicken/beef with the rice in a decent common brand that say a local chain pet store would have ...our closest places are a PetCo..a Walmart...and a TSC...got a Southern States up the road a piece too...got any recommendations?? Shes an older dog too so I'm trying to balance her weight due to her slowing down activity-wise

12. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Anal gland secretions?

Had that with an Aussie...hooo !

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

No..this is her coat..which is otherwise very healthy and shiny...I know what the AG smell is and shes never had a problem with that..but from my beagle I KNOW the smell and you're right about that Bruce...WhewwwwHooo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.