1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

doggy rawhide chew bones

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Some of you may have seen a thread that I wrote last Sunday saying that my dog was sick and asking for suggestions. She seemed to snap out of it as the day wore on so I deleted the post. Since then I have researched the symptoms and it seems Momma may have been giving the dog too many chew bones. Lethargy, constipation,and poor appetite can be caused by these treats. We have cut them out all together and she has much more energy and appetite. Just a heads up for you dog owners. Bill [mi]

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Use the big rolled ones that limit how much they can get in a short time frame. The strips and so on go down too easy.

3. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Ditto wireman, but watch because they also put weight on dogs. In addition, I never buy any dog, cat or people food from China; they have no qualms about poisoning their own babies, and remember their dog food ingredients killed a lot of American dogs a couple of years back.
    Dicksie

4. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

Thanks for saying that Dixie. I used to give Emma pig ears until the chinese food poison scare, then found out the pig ears are from china, never again will any of my animals touch anything from that garbage hole. I quit buying canned mandarins because I can't find AMERICAN!

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Your much better off not giving your dog any of that junk, for a treat ours gets some boiled chicken and rice, homemade.

6. JH

JH Well-Known Member

My vet strongly recommended AGAINST rawhide chews for my dog....sometimes it gets stuck in the intestines and surgery is the only way to make it better....

7. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Just use the Nylabone (sp?). They come off in little tiny pieces that pass thru with no problem. I have had several Shar-Pei's and they can destroy anything including those baked cow joints so I learned the hard way not to give them anything like rawhide that they can get a large piece of, swallow it and have it swell.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I do not give my dog anything that is not a natural treat, more times than not Chicken jerky and cow bones that have been frozen and still have the marrow inside for him to dig out and chew on ... The chicken jerky I get is made in the USA and better be good ar $40.00 a bag, the bones I get at the butcher shop ... I buy natural baked chicken or cook it myself and mix it with his dry food ... No Rawhide of any sort and those Nylabones don't last more than about 10 minutes but they are digestable (some are any way) and some are plastic ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

My dogs get Liver-snaps as treats and that's it. My lab got sick from the rawhide treats and the soup bone type treats.

10. drgondog

drgondog Member

Rawhide 'bones' are dangerous, stuff from China was linked to two goldens experiencing seizures which led progressively to deat in 30 days.

I use the Diamond/Costco treats which are a compressed, no-corn, lamb and rice mix. Crunchy and almost as good for their teeth as the big bones we dish out occasionally.

11. mimitrap

mimitrap TS Member

My vet told me years ago to never give rawhide bones to any dogs. Some dogs go years eatting them and some get sick the first time. She too said sometimes you have to do surgery to remove them. I haven't given any in years now. And I don't miss stepping on those slimmy things bare footed anyway. lol Yuk!

SLAYER....... I hope your baby will be ok now. My vet suggested plain ole animal crackers, but not too may as they will make some gain weigh. Good Luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.