1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dog with torn ACL

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dward, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dward

dward Member

I own a 6 year old female wire haired pointer (Xena) that we just found out has a torn acl in her left rear leg. I've read on the internet that there are a couple of surgeries to repair this. One is called a TPLO that involves more extensive surgery. A second procedure I read about involves sewing (for lack of a better term) the knee joint with strong monofilament like material to stabilize it. I understand the TPLO surgery is about $2200 and is more invasive and the second method is under a grand and is less invasive.

Cost isn't necessarily an issue. I just want to do what will be the most effective in getting her back as close to 100% as is possible. She is a very lean dog so weight was not a factor in this happening. She favors the leg when she gets up in the AM, and she's very stiff after running or hunting a lot. But when she's out chasing a ball, you wouldn't really recognize she has a problem with the leg.

As I know many of us have dogs, I'd be very appreciative of any advice or experiences you guys/gals have had.

Thanks - Big Dan

2. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Big Dan, I have a beagle that had the monofilament line repair put in her leg. That was 4 or 5 years ago an it has worked great. She was back to 100% within 6 months.

The surgery ran about $750. A deal compared to the $300 my vet charged for the Xrays of the dogs leg that took about 10 minutes. It was like - Yeah your dog has a torn ACL, we don't repair that here. Here is your bill, and we will give you the name of the vet who does do that work. Next.

3. Luelife

Luelife TS Member

I have had 2 labs with torn ACL's. One fixed with fish line and the other fixed with TPLO. The fish line dog was probably 85% and the TPLO dog is 95%. Just remember if one side goes the other side will probably go to...

4. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

My wife and I are members of a Foxhunt in the St. Louis area, one of our Hounds tore an ACL (climbed a 10 foot fence and got hung up). The club paid to have his ACL repaired, we used a vet that has a training practice. I would say the hound is back to about 90-95% we will not hunt him but he is happy and sound. Cost was about $750.00 if I recall correctly.

Ronbo

5. 1oz

1oz Member

I have a male husky thank God they only have 2 hind legs . Like the person above said normally if 1 goes out the other will too. They went in and cut his leg bone and they installed a T metal plate .I believe they may have turned 1 of the bones in the legs . Anyway after doing both our surgery and pet care , someone coming to the house for 6 weeks walking the dog etc etc our total bill was in the neighborhood of around S 10,000.00 . Please do not delay repair as i was told chance of arthritis setting in. These animals need to be confined and in a controlled enviroment for recovery. Sister has a lab both of it's acl's went out she went the string route no problems after 2 or 3 years and its a 100+ lb lab

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've had to orthopedic surgeries done on two differnt labs. My advise is seek out a local Vet School and see if they will do the surgery, my dogs received top notch care and the cost was about half of a vet's office.

7. K-80BUD

K-80BUD TS Member

Big Dan, I had a 3 yr. old Bichon female that completely destroyed her right rear acl. The surgery to repair it was about $800. For about 3 months she just sat and looked at us. We had to carry her down the deck stairs to do her business outside. Finally she let me put her up in my chair and sat with me for 10 minutes. By six months time she was back to normal. she will jump up on chairs, beds and the couch. She will still accept a helping hand sometimes, but doesn't really need it. The surgery was a complete success. The Vet told us that they put in three plastic bands to stabilize the repaired acl. Good luck with your dog. I hope this helps.

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I should have mentioned in my above post that my dog hurt both of her legs the same day. So I gotta agree with the statement that if one leg is hurting the 2nd leg will probably cause trouble too.

We were out chasing rabbits and she started limping with 1 of her hind legs. I thought she might of picked up a thorn or something in her paw. She won't stop, and like a damn fool I let her keep on running. Well 10 to 15 minutes later she came to a complete stop. I had to carry her to the truck. She injured both back legs. One was surgically repaired the other didn't require surgery. Vet says when they hurt 1 leg that puts more strain on the other especially a working or hunting dog.

9. eperry

eperry Member

My research on this matter revealed that TPLO is a more costly procedure, longer rehab and does not offer major advantage. The vet school in pitttsburg publishes a major review of the surgery. I can't remember which school, your vet would probably know. I have newfoundlands and one has both knees that have acl tears and both my vet and her breeder, who is a vet, are against TPLO. Plus the older surgery has a good track record.

10. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

Been there done that with a HUGE German Shepherd.

Did full TPLO. IT IS a more costly procedure. $2600.00 Grand total.

Surgeon wanted to do Full TPLO, (sawing off bone top, and installing the "T-Brace", dut to the dog's size.

Ditto on everyones' advice on the FULL recovery period. We were VERY careful, even built a handicap ramp fro the house, and one for HIS personal chariot (our Ford Expidition).

95% recovery.

Lost him 18 months later due to internal cancer.
    But did not regret having the operation done.

11. dward

dward Member

I'd like to thank everyone for their posts. I live in the Minneapolis area and Bob Munson called and let me know about a vet in the Twin Cities that he has had work on a couple of his dogs ACLs. I called that vet and he recommended a new procedure called a TTA which is suppose to be less invasive than a TPLO, and he thought it was just as or more effective. I googled the TTA and found out it has only been around since 2004. It's about the same cost as the TPLO and uses titanium instead of stainless steel. The reading I did online seemed to lean towards the TTA over the TPLO, and I think it is the route we'll take.

doggai - it's interesting that you mentioned this is common to dogs in flying frisbee. Back in 04 my son Zane and Xena went to the Great Outdoor Games in the Big Air event. Xena is the fasted dog I've ever owned and could jump over 25' off of our dock. I've attached a picture of her jumping at that event. Zane found she chased a tennis ball the hardest and she always has gone nuts chasing tennis balls. She'll jump extremely high to catch them and get twisted in some pretty odd positions, and given how high she can jump this is probably where the injury occurred.

Thanks again - Dan

12. rip

rip TS Member

What state are you in? Last year my Brittany Spanial had the same injury. We were given 2 choices. It has been a long recovery, but I would say she is 95% now and we are thrilled with her recovery. If any question contact Tim Lee D.V.M. in Anderson,IN. Phone 765-649-5218 or 800-341-6111. He was very honest in his accessment. My vets insisted I take her to him. If you have any questions I will monitor this sight till you get your dog fixed.
    Gerry Rippy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.