1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dog supplements before a hunt????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jimborn, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Anything you can give a dog before a hunt to help him survive a warm day and a lot of activity???? I will provide plenty of water, but is there anything else that will help him produce?? Thanks

2. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Bring along some treats. Make sure he/she has some food before the hunt.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Couple bits of cat never hurt.

4. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

There are electrolyt drinks for dogs which are suppose to be better than water. Ask your vet.

5. 5spd

5spd TS Member

In all the years Ive hunted with my dogs and never had a problem with was plenty lot of water for them & treats.
    I made sure of taking breaks every hour or so for 10 minuets at least also as not to wear them to the bone, me as well.
    This was in 100* temp. and as low as 20* temp.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I use caramels for treats and plenty of water. Never had a problem with one of mine wearing out.

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

My vet, who hunts recommends to not feed the dog just before or during hunting. He said it can cause the dog to turn or flip their stomach. Anyone else hear of this? I feed my dogs once a day, at about 6:00 PM because of this advice. So far, plenty of water has worked fine in hot weather.

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Dove, yes I have heard of it and actually had fellas I knew experience this. This was back when I coon hunted and dogs would get fed that evening before hunting. It also happens with horses from what I've been told.

9. missed some

missed some TS Member

a friend lost his Lab last year due to twisted gut. vet said not to feed before the hunt, I did it for years BUT not anymore.And it could be the amount consumed, but I'm not takin any chances.

10. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

Hi Guys
    Several suggestions- Im a veterinary surgeon that get this qurstion posed a lot during / prior to hunting season

1. Small high caloric treats periodically through the day will help the dog from becomming hypoglycemic( low blood sugar). If the dog becomes hypoglycemic- they become weak, may get shaky or even collaps - stop all activity ASAP, get something into them get to vet ( not a bad idea to carry around a few of those halloween sized snickwers bars for an emergency)

2) plenty of water perodically throughout the day. Just like you would do!!!! Dont let dog tank up on lots of water all at one time- it has also beed a potential cause of " twisting its gut" ( actually called gasrtic dilitation volvulus or GDV)

3) Preconditioning your dog to heat and activity prior to hunting season- you wouldnt go out and try to run the Boston marathon without training first would you

4) multiple rest periods through the day- or better off switch dogs out every few hours if you have the option

5) not feeding large meals prior to hunting or for an hour or so after stopping hunting might help reduce chance of GDV- even though experimentally we cant reproduce the GDV syndrome with food+ activity. The condition is multifactorial- meaning there are multiple causes for it to occur- and wont be the same in all dogs. Signs are: bloated looking abdomen, trying to vomit with nothing but saliva or froth comming up, collape, difficulty breathing- death. More common in deep chested dogs. We see it commonly in labs, german shorthair pointers -but can occur in any breed even cats. If dog shows these signe- need to get to a vet or ER clinic ASAP- can kill the dog in a few hours. Surgery needed to unrotate the stomach and tack it down to inside og body wall.

6) common sense - dont hunt the crap out of your dog all day- especially when hot and as they get older. Remember for every mile you walk while hunting- your dog probably goes 3 .

& placing hunting dogs on glucosamine / chondroitin products will help slow down arthritis - should be on it all year long

Good Luck
    Bob

11. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

A lot of friends I hunt and field trial with use K9 Restart. It is excellent for putting electrolytes back into the system anytime, but especially when hunting in the heat.

Below is a link to the maker. You will be amazed at the results it produces in a tired dog.

http://www.techmixinc.com

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

bob radasch- Great post, thank you. I believe you forgot to add that your advice also directly applies to the hunters as well as their dogs.

Pat Ireland

13. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

You are very correct about hunters. A buddy of mine who is a human Doc told me the number of people that go to an emergency room for chest pains or have heart attacks ( and possibly die) dramatically goes up across the nation on "opening Day" hunting. Cause- lots of middle to older men - out of shape going hunting ( I think he told me this was published in some medical journal out there somewhere)

Bob

14. gridlock

gridlock Member

Gatoraide

15. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

my cousin (dog man) took twelve dogs at a time and released two at a time for twenty mimutes and then another two for twenty minutes etc. itr worked really well with enough dogs asa they never got tired. hunting from a pick up at idle speed was great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.