1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dog Protection

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fssberson, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

True Story... An AOL thread reminded me of a blind person attacked by a bad guy. Blind person had a German Shepherd. I was recovering from heart surgery and walking in the park with my Glock 23 tucked in my waist and my Rottweiler on a leash [dog was a schutzhund 1]. Tall kid in early 20 comes up to me to rob me. I told him to get out of here... he didn't, saying "give me all of your money". I really started to laugh, but alerted the dog and gave the dog her command. She came around immediately and struck the guy in the chest...did not get a good bite and ended up in between this guys legs. She was loading up again when I outed her. She actually listened. As this guy was crwling away on his back... he had wetted his pants. The good guys won!! Fred

Similar stories welcomed.

2. mimitrap

mimitrap TS Member

I love it when the good guys win!!!!

I had a guy come up to me not too long ago at a gas station asking for gas money. I was pumping gas and had not gone in the store to pay and if the guy saw me not going in the store he had to have known I had a ATM card or some other cards to pay with at the pump. Anyway I said I didn't have any to give him, just about then my dog started barking at him. He quickly said OH you have a dog! I said Yes and he will bite! He said oh I'm leaving don't let him bite me, he was gone as quick as he came up. I have no idea if he was going to try and rob me or not but glad my dog took care of his mom!

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I used to walk a 2 1/2 mile circuit through El Cajon Ca every evening, in dark during winter. Over and over I have watched dirt bags see me coming with my bird dogs and cross 5 lanes of traffic to avoid passing my dogs.

4. Mapper

Mapper Member

At different times I have had a Beauvior. Even folks with no evil intention get out of their way. I guess 150 lbs of fuzzy dog looks intimidating.

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

i had a great nap interrupted by Jehova's one nice afternoon here in northern mi. My big lab was growling and barking at the screen door. "Will that dog bite?" says the misguided young man. "Only if I let him out" says I. Bye bye nuisance. Does this count? Bill in MI

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Same thing with my Akita - bout a 100 lbs of intimidation. I piss and moan about the dog hair but he definitely keeps the riff-raff away.
    [​IMG]

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

My wife and I rescued a yellow lab that was 6 months old at the time. she's been with us ever since she turned 5 yrs old in January. Untill last Decemeber she never barked not once. We have shitzu that did that job, one day there is a knock at the door and the lab let loose next thing I know the guy selling something was beating feet down the street.

8. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Buster tends to keep the bad (and some of the bothersome good..) folks from coming too close!
    [​IMG]

9. tic-toc

tic-toc TS Member

The Pit Bull is the most maligned dog in the U.S. a very smart animal (I once told a HS french teacher that the pit was smarter that her entire 2nd yr class,she dosen't think much of me any more) Use to be a small dog in the 20-40lb range until the crack/coke heads decided they wanted large dogs that looked bad.Still one of my favorite dogs.They don't point birds well but if you leave one in the front seat of your truck it will be right where you left it when you get back.

10. Bob Schultz

Bullies are the best! Most affectionate dog I've ever had. Jojo is a bit skittish as she is a rescue dog from a shelter, but she follows me around like a shadow and is a joy to be with. Of course, I don't think I ever met a dog I didn't like!

I took Jojo to an agility training school and she learned all the obstacles in one or two tries. She'll retrieve birds...but she'll eat a dove once in a while. They are working dogs, bullies need a LOT of exercise. I run the dogs with my golf cart for a mile or so then we play ball with tennis balls. Most dog chew toys are toast in a minute or less with a bully dog. They also like to jump up and hang by thier teeth from low branches...this does not bode well for the dogwood tree in the back yard. It looks like a stick. Small price to pay for a great companion.

Bob

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My old pal Rusty had a nose for snakes and would stop about 10 yards short of where he thought a snake was then just kind of side steped to get my attention. I avoided crossing the path of several rattlesnakes because of him. Don't know if he saved me but we did make a bunch of 'good snakes' over the years we had together.

12. high 2

high 2 Member

Bob, Jojo's looking at me like I owe you money. I did the pit bull thing along time ago. He cost me about $500 to get the neighbors dog put back together. I've never trusted one since. Damn near beat the dog to death before he let go of the other dog. It was the most vicious attack I've ever seen from any animal.
    Yakimaman, you do know what a 100lb Akita eats don't you? Anything he wants!! I worked with a trainer when I was a kid that specialized in protection dogs. He had an Akita that weighed 150. Best guard dog of all. He wouldn't bite a flea, but growled at just about everything. People would swing very wide. Larry

13. BT99

BT99 Member

The wife and I live in the country, 3/4 mile to nearest neighbor. Have
    two Rottweilers, maggie and molly. Nice gentle dogs until you give them a command.

14. Bob Schultz

Pit bulls don't take much crap from other dogs. They normally won't start a fight but will finish one...

Jojo has played "toss the Pug" a few times with our neighbors Pug that insists on charging her...she just pics him up and tosses him a few feet away like a doll. Pug leaves to go get stupid again.

Most other dogs just come and sniff and say hello. She is very nice to other dogs.

Bob

15. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Believe it or not, my Springer (4th one we have had the pleasure to own) sounds like she is 150 lbs of no nonesense (actually 42 lbs soaking wet) when a stranger approaches while we are on a walk or someone knocks on the door.

People say why don't you teach her not to bark. No thanks. We like her just the way she is.

16. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Hell, my Chiwawah is the meanest of em all. We let him out once and he killed the neighbors rottweiler. Sho nuff did, no joke. He got hung up in the Rott's throat and and choked him to death. True story.

GneJ

17. Bob Schultz

If Chihuahua's weighed 100 pounds you would have to hold them back with anchor chains! My neighbor used to have one that thought it was a pit bull! Apparently they don't see themselves as little dogs...y

18. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

My daughter's Chihuahua regularly beats up on my son's Pit Bull. The Pit persists in sticking his head down to where the Chihuahua can get hold of his lips or jowls, so she latches on and growls and shakes her head like mad. When she figures he has had enough, she lets go, and he isn't bright enough to figure out what just happened, so he sticks his head down at her again! Pretty funny seeing a 4.5 pound dog take on a 65 pound muscled land shark, especially when he finally figures it out and leaves her alone, because he needs cuddles after the trauma.

19. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

In two weeks (a day after MO state shoot) Leo and I will pick up our new guard dog, Fred. When he gets full grown, he will probably be about 12 pounds of the meanest. leanest mini schnauzer you will ever see. So when you see Leo and Fred on the buggy, be aware!

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Just curious Karla, why did you and Leo name the dog Fred?