1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dog Mange

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Maz, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maz

Maz TS Member

Iv'e got a problem with my Lab.Had him to the vet 4times cost me $600.Vet said he had mange tried everything nothing seems to work.Was on antibiotics for 60 days didn't help.Any suggestions. Thank You

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Try used motor oil. It has worked on my dogs in the past.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Did you trim off his outercoat? Usually that is the first step in addition to topical treatments plus snti-boitics. If your vet can't cure it find another vet - don't let this go on.

4. warren

warren Member

Paint him with sheepdip every day for a month

warren

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Mange is caused by skin mites. You have to kill the mites. Ivermectin is the way to do that. Ivermectin liquid will knock them down hard. Collies and Shelties can't use ivermectin though. The stuff tastes terrible and is normally mixed with cherry flavored syrup or something like that which makes it palatable. Ivermectin works inside the dog which is where the mites are.

6. zimmie

zimmie Active Member

Nothing better than used motor oil.

7. osoab

osoab TS Member

What about Diatomaceous earth to kill the mites?

Non toxic for the dog and you.

8. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The old standby was used motor oil and sulphur.

9. Thom Simpson

Thom Simpson Member

Ivermech will kill the dog if he has hart worms. but it should get rid of the mange.

10. Maz

Maz TS Member

How long do you leave the used motor oil on the dog ?

11. ALFkam

ALFkam TS Member

Get a leaf from the aloe vera cactus: (a) remove the outer covering, (b) mash the pulp into a liquid consistency, and (c) rub the liquid pulp into the mange area infected area. Repeat for several days or until improvement is seen.

12. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I lost a show quality Standard Poodle pup to mange, which the vet misdiagnosed. When my adult stud started showing similiar signs, I took him to a Vet with a skin speciality. It was scarcoptic mites. There is a dip that will fix them in a day or two. Diatomatious earth might help, but the key is a Vet who deals with skin issues.

JON

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

I just let the used oil wear itself off.

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Had an Irish that delivered 13 pups and the vet said I didn`t need to come in for the afterbirth shot which I always did before . Well the dog suffered a severe internal infection and almost lost her but the meds for her worked , unfortunately with the stress, that gave off "dermititis mange" to the pups thru the mothers milk and they all were infected . It was many years ago so I don`t know what meds were given but I did have to bathe them every other day in something . Sold them all with the understanding that it could break out again to them under stress in later years .

15. 1oz

1oz Member

Been dealing with something like mange .Dog is a Siberian husky ever summer spots are getting larger and larger . Vet thought at first alleric reaction to his food .Have changed food 4 or 5 times .This past summer we had his coat trimed down dog was on antibotics at the present time we arent sure if it was the food or the triming of his coat . Knocking on wood . Hope we have done something right.

Jim

16. LFT687

LFT687 Member

This might sound a little strange, but...

I was having a physical for a new life insurance policy. During small talk with the nurse who was drawing my blood I mentioned that my dog, a rescue dacshund/yorkie (we call him a dorkie) mix was wearing one of those cones that keep him from biting himself. He has suffered for many years with a skin problem that starts up each summer. He scratches and bites himself till he bleeds. She mentioned that her dog suffers from chronic yeast infections and is almost continuously on steroids.

I googled yeast infections on dog's skin. I found a video that pretty much matched everything my little guy had. I'm now soaking his paws and wiping him down with a water and vinegar solution.

Dave

17. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Howdy Maz,

Always changed the oil every 3000 miles...........works the same for dogs.

D.P.Reynolds

18. WVTVS

WVTVS TS Member

There are several types of mange each needing different treatment. If your performed skin scrapings then he or she should know which type. No mange is only treated with an antibiotic alone. Find out which type of mange and for God's sake do not use motor oil! The main two types are Demodex and Sarcoptes.