1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dog Food Question?????????????????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jimborn, May 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

In you're travels, what do you think the best dog food for Lab sized, medium, preformance, middle aged dogs??? I have been feeding EXPENSIVE "Taste of The Wild" venison and Bison Mix with no grains. ( I have one dog that can't eat anything with corn high on the list of ingredients, he will itch.) My Vet shook her head when I told her that was what I was feeding. They sell S
    cience Diet and try to sell me the stuff, what are your thoughts??? Thank You Jim from Nebraska

2. SBray

SBray Active Member

We have used Blue Buffalo Wilderness dog food for three or four years now. After hearing about how some of the popular brands contain ingredients that are not good for pets, we decided to use this brand.

Steve

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Orejan (sp)Is very good. Freeze dried is excellent. You want no wheat, no corn and no white rice. Chicken Soup for the dog lovers soul is ok. What is recommended now is using different flavors/blends of the same food for some variety.

JON

4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Here is one of the best resources on the web...

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

I recommend foods that are rated either 4 or 5 stars and find what is available and affordable in your area.

We are using the 4-Health brand (4 stars) from TSC (told it is made by Diamond) on our pup and are very pleased so far.

SBray's Blue Buffalo Wilderness is a 5 star food.

SW

5. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I feed 100% raw. I buy the stuff in bulk from a mink farmer, it is by far the easiest way for me to maintain my dogs weights. I buy it for around $.35/lbs it is a turkey based feed and is emulsified to a paste consistency. Another alternative is to buy chicken hind quarters and feed bones and all as long as the bones are raw they are completely harmless and keep your dogs teeth clean. Add a fish oil pill, for there coat, and a whole hard boiled egg a couple of times a week for protein also a scoop of plain yogurt is good protein as well. There is lots of info on the web. I feed my beagles about 14oz each per day and I feed my retriever/lab mix about 22oz per day. For a lab I would say one chicken hind quarter, and a scoop of yogurt per day would be great for him. Its easy to tell when they are getting to much or not enough to eat, as they gain or lose weight fairly fast. The first week their stomach has to adjust enzymes to digest the raw food, may want to kennel them outside for the first few days. After that their waste is very small and hard, you will notice about a 60% decrease in waste, as well as a 50% decrease in water consumption which is completely normal. Good luck if you need any info I will try to help you if you would like to start a raw diet.

6. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I agree if you know exactly what you are feeding your dog you will be much happier and so will he!!!

7. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

IAMS. Age and activity level is on the bag. On my third Lab and this stuff provides what he needs and keeps the weight off. Recommended by my vet, who hunts and trials Labs.

8. 548

548 Guest

My lab kept getting ear infections. I switched her from Science Diet to Blue Buffalo many years ago and she has not had an ear infection since.

In an attempt to reduce my $60/month pet food tab with Blue Buffalo, I switched to Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice Formula (in the red bag that says Naturals on the side). She does just as well with this no wheat, corn, or soy variety of Diamond brand at only $40/month.

9. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

The Sport Dog mix that I get ate the Co-Op seems to keep my dog fat and happy. Has a good protein and fat ratio. Performs great out in the field and doesn't seem to pack too much weight on her during the off season.

10. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Purina puppy chow

11. alf174

alf174 Member

My lab is 13 and recently started forming a couple of Lipomas so I switched her from Wellness to Solid Gold Barking At the Moon; high protein and gluten free. I've noticed no change in the Lipomas, maybe a little smaller, her strength is better, and stool is well formed..

12. APrice

APrice Active Member

Do a little research and you'll find out that one of the last things you want to feed your dog is anything manufactured by Diamond. They probably have killed more family pets than any other pet food company, primarily from salmonella contamination. Unfortunately, they private label for lots of retailers (Kirkland/Costco is a big one), so be careful.

Blue Buffalo has proven to be problematic as well.

13. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I fed Eukanuba Performance until about a year ago when I could not get it anymore, even on-line. I switched over to Purina Pro Plan Sport Performance and have been happy with it. My dogs are very active, training for field trials and hunt tests several hours per day. They have lush coats and lots of energy, and are all muscle, no fat.

14. Quailtail

Quailtail Member

3 English Pointers, 1 English Setter, eat Sport Dog from Souther States with no ill effects. This is in the Green and White bag. I buy 80lbs at at time. Keeps well, dogs have plenty of energy, good stools, with shiny coats.

I have tried them all over the years and have found this brand to be cost effective, and my dogs do well. It is fed year round.

15. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Our vet recommended Science Diet Lamb/Rice when our schnauzer developed allergies, it seemed to really counteract the itching. He had other health issues and died at age 13 (average life span is 12-14).
    Now that we have brought home our new schnauzer, we will continue with Scienct Diet puppy chow.

16. Gary Ehas

Gary Ehas TS Member

Agree w AP Price..... Not too long ago got my $23.14 from a class action law suit which cost me hundreds of dollars in vet bills to save my GSP.....

17. lance howard

lance howard Member

I appreciate the info from all of you. My three year old lab developed severe allergies to just about anything we fed her when she was a year old. We have fed her Evo turky/chicken mixed with cooked vegies( mostly beens, peas, carrots, zuccini, broccoli, cauliflower) . We cook a very large batch about every three weeks and freeze it in containers, then add the Evo turky/chicken and a small amount of Evo dry food. Seems to work well. She has no problems with itching and shedding now. Lot of energy and great coat of hair. I think it depends on the dog. Just like us humans, we do not all eat the same stuff. Thanks again for the info. Lance Howard

18. drgondog

drgondog Member

I have been feeding the Costco(Diamond) Green and purple bag Lamb, rice kibble for 20 years to our wolfhounds and have never had any problems.

Where can I find an unbiased link to major issues for the above?

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

How about fish based diets? Anyone doing that for their dogs?

My guys just love the stuff but we don't get that many fish. Sometimes I'll feed them a can of Tuna in water for a 'field snack'.

20. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

I got the above link here a few years ago. Very good info. Our now 1 year old pup was scratching a lot so we switched to grain free and seems to have stopped the itching. We feed him Merrick grain free dry food and also their canned food. Both are 5 star at the above site and best of all he likes the taste of both. A good store around here with quality brands is Pet Value. They also have small sample bags of a lot of foods and you can have 2 with a purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.