1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dog exercise

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by teddy34, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I read in some dog training books that they use 4 wheelers for what they
    call roading for exercise. Does anyone have a method of how they rigged
    their 4-wheeler to do this? Thanks, Gary Owen

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well I don't know what roading for excercise is but I regularly take my 2 GSPs with me on ATV trips. When I get to a good open area with decent ground, I let them bail off and they run out in front of me. They can maintain 20 -25 MpH for quite sometime which is plenty fast and I keep back at least 50 yards. When they start to get tired (about 7 miles) I slow it down to walking speed for a couple minutes then stop and let them get their wind and a bit of water. A couple of trips like this each week keeps them in great shape and they really enjoy the chance to flat out run.

Important things about this - Don't run them this way in hot weather (>70F) and don't push them too hard because a high performance dog will run themselves to death if you make them. Also only do this in an area you know if free of other ATVs/vehicles. I am fortunate enough to have thousands of square miles of good places to do this but those in more populated areas may not want to risk getting their pals hurt.

3. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Roading is where they put a harness on each dog and attach to the ATV. The
    dogs pull as the ATV is driven, but a little slower than the dogs want to run.
    What I am looking for is the apparatus to keep the dogs in front and not with-
    in reach of the tires. Thanks, Gary Owen

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

A mount usually for the front luggage rack and then poles out from the mount and at the end of the pull a line that goes to the roading harness for the dogs

Gene

5. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Just use a leash on the front-side of a bicycle and short enough so that the dog cannot get to the front of the front tire. Take three minutes for the dog to get accustomed to it. Go slowly and NEVER let the dog run on and on--slow down to a walk so the dog can catch it's breath. They are NOT as healthy as we believe.Now you can teach the dog to go left and right. Just speak the command and they will learn almost instantly. Then in a parking lot (empty) you can teach to "slalom" between the lines. Slowly is the way to go. Dennis

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Roading multiple dogs is done with a bar across the front of the ATV with dogs attached to the bar. They are not directly in front of the vehicle.

Roading can also be done by having a dog drag a length of chain attached to his harness. I personally prefer this method - except you have to walk. Another method I have used is to wrap a long check cord around a saddle horn and let the dog pull against the horse.

Roading is the best way to get a dog in tip-top shape. ALL serious field trialers road their dogs.

7. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

The above advice with the cross bar is something my buddies that train sled dogs use, except they get the dogs moving and kick it in neutral and turn off the engine and let the dogs pull the 4 wheeler. I have seen some of my bird dog friends use this method except they keep the 4w at moderate speeds.
    I don't like this method because only the dog is getting exercise.
    I use a roading harness, well padded with two large tarp straps (rubber) and two 18" pieces of medium weight chain hooked to the straps and wrap the hooks with duct tape. Some of my friends use welding lead in about 10 foot lengths.
    The drag created by the chain or welding lead gives enough resistance to make the dog work.
    I cut the dogs loose in a moderate cover field and walk behind them and handle the dogs just like we are in a walking trial, or in front of a horse for AF type trialing. Either way you get some exersize and and the dogs get a real work out.
    IMPORTANT watch the temp as mentioned before, I only do this at temps under 60 and carry plenty of water for the dogs.One other thing, the dogs are in moderate shape BEFORE I start resistance training.
    Live Well Wayne

8. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Thanks all for your suggestions. Gary Owen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.