1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dog care

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by southjblue, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Anybody out there feed your dog people food? I have a Britney and I spike his purina with leftovers---In the morning I give him a small portion of purina with half A milk bone and I finish him off with a small amt of 2% milk mixed with water---He is strong as a bull---most of my friends think I am crazy but I can't eat and have him stare at me---He's not overweight but they tell me the worst thing is people food---Just wondering---Thanks---dog lover--- sjb

2. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Some people food is okay for dogs but where you run into problems is with the spices and with onions and garlic. If you really want advice you can trust, ask your vet., he will probably give you a short list of what is okay and what can be toxic.

And yes, my boys get some goodies from the table on top of their dog chow dinner on a regular basis. Usually it is steak scraps or cooked & boned chicken, maybe a hotdog ... they really go wild for fish. (good cause I can't quite choke it down)

Here is one thing I learned in a conversation with my vet ... if your dog is eating alot of grass and dirt feed him some canned green beans. It works great and really seems to get their digestive system back on track.

4. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I only feed him chicken or turkey and some left over steak---no seasoning to speak of---One problem I have is his urin stains my green grass---tried pills from vet store but they don't work---any help?---My vet don't have an ans.---
    He (vet) hates people food for dogs---I have a friend that fed people food only to a Begal and the dog lived to 14yrs---not bad---Thanks---sjb

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

OK Pat ---no more beer for my dog---Thanks---sjb

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

My dog only eats what we cook for him, no dog food. Usually he gets meat,rice, and a como of carrots/peas/grean beans. Meat is hamburger,chicken or turkey. Bill

7. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I can honestly say that my 11 year-old lab had NEVER had anything but dog food given to her. My vet was recently astounded as her condition and energy at her age (60 lbs. and bounces around the room). She started out with Nutro's food but had to switch to a prescribed food due to her having kidney stones a few years back. Dry food.

Tim

8. sharkie

sharkie TS Member

Eukanuba since about 8 weeks old . Dog treat when rewarded.

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

We had a lab that lived to 16 eating lots of table scraps. Best dog ever. But she did stare at cookout guests and slobber a bit, LOL. That's the real downside.

-Gary

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

southjblue, How old is your dog? If he's under 5 years old, I'd say he's overweight. You should be able to feel the dog's ribs, and even see them, but they should not be protruding.

The main thing is exercise. Does the dog get 1/2 to an hour of run time every day?

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

One more thing. My friends 2 year old lab died from eating onions. Chocolate and onions are 2 no-nos.

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

He is 7 yrs old---can't run him too much,has a bad knee---He loves to run but after a good run he limps alot---He is probably overweight but he is very happy.I had a friends dog with same prob but had a knee replacement($3000.00) and still can't run too much---Thanks---sjb

13. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

None of those

14. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Just found out that anything with artificial sweeteners is worse than choclate. Don't let them get you gum, equal, etc... I had never heard this until very recently...

LWL

15. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

You really should take down that christmas tree...

16. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Then I'd have to put back up nxt yr---

17. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Years ago when I got my first Blakc Lab , female we feed her just dog ffo.; except when I was eating grapes she loved them she lived a long healthy life 13 yrs old and never had a problem . Now they tell you that grapes, rasins and chocolate are all posion for a dog. All my dogs eat now are Purina dry with some alpo canned mixed in no human food at all.

18. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Feed dogs dog food only.

19. larryjk

larryjk Member

Saw one person fed their dog Milk Bones. My lab used to have farts so bad he would leave the room. We found out it was the Milk Bones we gave him as treats. We changed to a different brand and no more gas problems. Sorry Milk Bones!

20. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

So what kinds of dog food does everyone use and why?