1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your weed killer still work the same?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by crusha, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

I swear, it seems like the Roundup/Glyphosate, 2,4 D, etc. they sell nowadays doesn't work as well as it used to. Not talking about the stuff from 30 years ago, just what I've observed in the last 5 years.

Am I dreaming, or are you seeing this too? I don't know whether to attribute it to Monsanto screwing us over, Global Warming induced Super Weeds, or what, but this crap just ain't workin' like it used to.

And just to keep this thread legal...I think it's Obama's fault. Bastard.

2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Yes, the more recent products do not work nearly as well as the old stuff. Herbacides and insecticides both suck now.

[​IMG]

This is the best way to deal with outside problems.

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I was told by my lawncare guy that, because of the EPA regulations, the store bought pesticides and liquid fertilizers are simply watered down.

I'll go as far as, I had a ... green company spray my lawns for many years. I called on having weeds after the week they sprayed. They told me it would take up to 3 weeks to kill the weeds. I told them BS. I called a new company and they came out a week or so later and spayed the same weeds. They were dead within hours.

He now does my lawn fertilizing.

Jerbear

4. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

If you are buying it from an ag distributor I think mine is still the same. I imagine the store bought just keeps getting more watered down. I did notice that my roundup's shelf life is no more than a year and I think I had a two gallon that got week because I let it freeze. But could be my in=magination. If I use a fresh batch it is still a quick killer.

I thought it was Georges fault along with the drought.

CM

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Buy from a farm store and not the hardware store. The 2-4-D that I buy will wilt dandelions in a few hours time.

If you want to really knock the crap out of the weeds, mix in a little bit of dish soap in your handsprayer. This will make it cling to the plants a little longer.

ss

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I've had real good luck with Hi-Yield weed and grass killer. I use the Super Concentrate and mix it in my 2 gallon sprayer for spraying weeds around the house. It has worked much better then any Round-Up that I have used. Get mine at the local farm supply store for around $11.50/pint. I haven't noticed it working any less than it did when I started using it several years ago.
    [​IMG]

7. ark1stclass

ark1stclass TS Member

WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!! Now you guys are talking my language!

Jerbear are you one of my customers???? I have heard that many times.lol

I am a Licensed Commercail Applicator in Arkansas and have owned my own Lawncare company for several years.

Yes some of the more recent years there is less active ingredient (watered down) One of the reasons for that is the old attitude of "if a little is good a lot is better" That could be no farther from the truth. Carrier and getting the proper amount of chemical to the weed during the time it needs to be there is the key.

Using a nonselective herbicide, ie...glyphosate, Roundup and be sure to use a nonionic surfactant (some have it in the mix already) and some liquid fertilizer, (yes fertilizer) will help.

Using selective herbicides, 2,4d types, broadleaf killers, still use the surfactant and fertilizer.

One thing to remember for sure is that even in the weather we are having right now if the plant is NOT growing you wont kill it, some cool season weeds have stopped growing already.

The Number 1 thing to remember is to READ THE LABEL!!!! The label IS the law.
    What you bought last year and used up may have a different label on it this year, if you used 1 pint per acre and it has been deluted you may need to use a quart per acre, if you dont you wont get the results you desire.

If any of you have more questions just P/M and I will do what I can to help.

Jim Creager
    1st Class Lawn Care
    Harrison AR.

8. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You have to read the label really close as to the percentage of whatever chemical it is. Usually most weed killers are Glyphosate and the concentration levels are all over the place.

Farm stores usually separate their farm chemicals from their residential stock, so don't assume that it came from a farm store, that it is the high concentration that farmers use. Usually the good stuff is only carried in larger sizes, like Ag Roundup, is 2 1/2 gal, but is around 70.00.

Glyphosate....is only effective for a short time, and only kills what is living. You spray your weeds, then when you mow, your actually reseeding your weeds.....then you have to spray again. Ain't it fun.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Jim, Many have put down crabgrass killer already, and now it's suppose to freeze tonight. Will it have to be applied again? Does freezing affect the potency of roundup and 24D?

10. ark1stclass

ark1stclass TS Member

Setterman by "Crabgrass killer" are talking about preemergent crabgrass PREVENTER? If so, no freezing wont hurt it at all, it needs to be applied then get a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water on it to get it into the soil where it works best. I think this is what you are talking about.

If by "crabgress killer" to kill exesting crabgrass it needs to be 85 degrees or better to work well.

MSMA has been removed from the market and has been the best for crabgrass for years, good luck with the "new stuff"

11. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

not to brag, but last year, i sold 37000 gallons on monsanto's 41% roundup and 6000gallons of 24D & not to mention the $5 million in sales of other weed killing products---in the herbicide business, we have seen weeds adapt to certain chemical families--24D is NOT one of them, but roundup has seen tolerance buildup---nearly every herbicide shines best when first introduced--- monsanto can not 'water down" their products, but do change formulas to make easier handling for both ag and home owners. there is some jocking aorund with new formulas which is quite simply to protect their patents---when it comes to a product not working as well, most of the time , its the wrong rate applied , incorrect weed size or even misidentified weed species . when spot hand spraying with a 41% glysophate roundup product-mix a 3 to 5 % solution and you will rarely fail--- when spraying 4# 24D ,a 2 TO 3% solution works well--- one variable most people miss, is did you get the right amount on? is your sprayer calibrated??---wally riebesell mo valley ag rock port mo.

12. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

The key is to read the label for the active ingredient percentage. Dennis-And to follow the label directions

13. Timbob44

Timbob44 Member

Wow and I got ripped apart for asking 7 1/2 s or 8's

14. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

buzz:

I heard rumor about a new herbicide called "Obama". Obama is reported to be the kiss of death for anything 'green'.

sissy

15. Prettywood

Prettywood Member

grntitan nailed it! Hi-Yield is the answer...the chit just works, period!

16. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

You will kill the grass if you mix 2-4-D to strong!!!

CM

17. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Muncher it could but you would have to put it on pretty strong

But for general weed killing I like to use Gramoxone, my wife doesn't like it she's scared of the skull and crossbones on the lid, but you talk about killing weeds fast, it's fast, but kills just about everything so you have to watch where you spray it

But you need to be careful not to get any on you

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If you are wanting to spray it on your grass but just want to kill the weeds, don't use what I recommended. This stuff kills everything it touches no matter the mixture.

19. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I prefer Surmount as a general weed killer. Only problem, you have to have a private or commercial applicator's license to buy it. The reason it requires a license is that it contains picloram.

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Wally, You need to answer the questions in trap shooting terms.

If I have a 25 gallon tank, how many 12 oz beer cans of 24D do I add to the water?

128 oz per gallon x 25 gallons = 3200 oz x 3% = 96 oz? (8) 12 oz beer cans for 24D?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.