1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your School Recognize the trap shooting kids.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gasman03, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasman03

gasman03 Member

We have a trap team here in Gibbon,Ne. It is a stand alone club meaning it is not in with the school because they will not allow it. My question is would it be asking to much to recognize these kids for what they choose as a sport at the year end athletic banquet? Not asking for any money or sponsor just a little time to let people know that these kids put lots of time and effort into this. How does your school do it?

Corey

2. tachyon

tachyon Member

Corey, I coach the Marian High School team in Omaha. I also teach at Marian so I am able to announce medal winners during our ECTC season and state awards. It took us seven years but this year we are able to award letters to the girls. I know that at Creighton Prep, Skutt and Fremont also recognize trapshooting as a letter sport.

Each sport at Marian has their own end of year sports banquet. You might just want to organize an end of year trap recognition banquet for your kids.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Here in Idaho everybody hunts, fishes and shoots so the schools do recognize trap. Thats a good thing and another reason that our club supports youth shooting

4. psfive

psfive Member

At Grand Island NE. Trap is a letter sport. We have our own awards banquet at the end of the year. It is also a fun shoot for the team and family members. Paul Leeper

5. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

As a former school district athletic director, I can tell you that the standard procedure is to recognize only those sports that are administered by the state H.S. athletic association. When my son was in high school, three position rifle target shooting was a recognized state sport. My son was selected to take part in the Olympic trials and took part. At the high school athletic awards night, a boy who had won the county wrestling championship was awarded athlete of the year over my son, who had been one of 50 people in the country selected to try out for the Olympic team. Not what I would call comparable.

6. tachyon

tachyon Member

Bill's comment was the standard reply of most of the athletic directors around here also. For us the answer was to demonstrate that the sport is well organized and has longevity. The league we shoot in (Eastern Cornhusker Trapshooting Conference) has been around for more than 20 years. It has an all conference team and a well organized system of awards and academic recognitions. The state shoot has been around for 41 years.

Most of the athletic directors around here have moved to recognize those club sports that meet the above criteria. Some schools recognize hockey, bowling, trap and rugby in addition to the sports administered by the NSAA.

7. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Thank you. Some very good information to build on.

Corey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.