1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your gun really shoot where you look

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmunsell, Sep 11, 2013.

1. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

Just a thought, if a well fit gun shoots where you look and your suppose to keep your eye's on the bird then how are you hitting the hard left and rights or anything for that matter that you have to shoot ahead or above? Just sayen.

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

There's some truth to that saying yet mighty confusing to some.

"if a well fit gun shoots where you look and your suppose to keep your eye's on the bird"

Gluing your eyes to a rising clay target is very important and a heck of a lot different "looking" than shooting a pattern at a stationary spot on a piece of cardboard!! You're actually shooting two very different targets doing that and that's where the confusion begins.

A personal best POI for a shooter might be as varied as opinions are! Nobody can tell another which is best either!! Best POI for you is learned just as other aspects of wing shooting are. Another point to remember, the farther away the target, the more important it is to find your POI that works best for you.

HAP

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

When the target breaks...probably...but I haven't picked up a trap gun for 14 months...so that may no longer be relevant...

Ron Burr

5. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

Here we go ....focus on the front sight...????@#$$%%%&

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . and even vertically you don't want to "shoot where you look." You want it to shoot where you will be looking about 0.01 to 0.014 seconds after you pull the trigger.

That's why trap guns generally shoot at least some degree "high" at the pattern board off a bench. And why guns for some other shotgun sports generally less high. Skeet targets, for example, may rise or (effectively) fall, depending on the station.

Neil

7. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Barfin is correct. I managed to break 499/500 singles targets at the Grand this year using that method. Shhhhh....don't tell anyone though!

Hit 'em hard,

John

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is important to have a brain that works, let it figure things out. HMB

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I look about 6 inches above where my front bead points.

Guess it works.

HM

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Front sight on a shotgun is just a reference.

Front sight on everything else is a necessity.

11. dhip

dhip Active Member

Nope,I look where the gun shoots

Doug H (pa)

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

My gun actually shoots reasonably close to where I am looking, therefore I am usually reasonably close to the targets when I miss them but by chance break a few by mistake from time to time if I look away from where the target really is ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. jmunsell

There has to be some eye to barrel, not to bead per say, sight picture or else you would miss the bird almost every time so your focus can never be 100% on the bird and your gun is not shooting where you look because you would miss every time but where you pull the trigger or else you are not focusing on the bird but where the barrel is.

Confusing, well its confusing when someone says you need a well fitting gun because a well fitting gun shoots where you look. Oh and by the way you should always keep your eye on the bird. Seems they should be saying look 2 feet ahead on hard rights and lefts and on straight away look just under the bird. That seems to make more sense if your gun shoots where you look.

14. jmunsell

However if you are not leading the bird on a hard left or right you will miss no matter how you move the gun yes? So the "well fitted gun that shoots where you look" and "keep your eye on the bird" is out the window. You must pull the trigger on a moving shotgun at the time the barrel is at the correct distance ahead of the target so there must be some eye to barrel.

For me yes I do keep my eye on the bird but I do see the barrel pass the bird and I try to pull the trigger at the correct time. I see the barrel pass the bird.

Check out the video above of Leo shooting with an eye cam, is he looking at the bird or where he is going to shoot at the target?

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Yes, but I don't seem to look in the right place all the time.....

16. jmunsell

No kidding. LOL

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have been shooting trap for more than 45 years now and of those 45 years I have shot 40 years of them with a release trigger.

Every person needs a gun that shoots to their style of shooting, very few can shoot my Trapguns as they shoot high.

The longer I shot trap the higher shooting my guns needed to be as grew more proficient in seeing the bird, and shot faster and faster.

That alone caused me to shoot higher and higher POI.

Right now I am shooting a gun that shoots 120% high, my 120% is different than most shooters 120% high, for me it means 18-20 inches to the center of pattern from point of aim on a pattern board with my sight picture.

I do not shoot off the end of the gun, I do not see space between the beads.

I bury the middle bead into the front bead, but that is my style of shooting,
    I relate that to I rifle sight my beads, and the gun has to fit me perfect
    for me to get my bead to bead sight picture.

When I get that stock to fit me it is very close to 14"inch LOP and has to have the right, Right Hand Cast, and enough Comb side travel and enough post height
    so I can dial it in.

Over the years we have to change for weight gain and loss and that is why you need a 4 way comb w/enough adjustment to TWEEK it to as your body changes.

I always have shot a Trapgun with ZERO Pitch, I want the gun to come straight back when it is fired, I don't want a Bbl to rise or lower when fired, I don't want my face slapped by the gun stock.

When I get a new gun these are the first things I get set up before ever firing the gun on the Pattern Board at 35Yards as this is where I break the majority of my targets.

To me the 13 yard thing is a joke, I have never ever broke a target at 13 yards.

It might work for sighting a rifle scope, but definetly not a shotgun.

I will be putting the new gun I purchased when it arrives by UPS to my Stds.

First thing is the Laser Chop Saw to get LOP and ZERO Pitch and Kickeze Recoil Pad that is curved.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"Shoot where you look"

It's an expression. But, that's what it seems like. Actually your "fire-control computer" is taking over and when it sees what it thinks is the correct bird to bead/barrel/rib relationship, your subconscious triggers your trigger finger. That's why when you switch guns, it sometimes takes a while to reprogram your brain to get your scores back. It's also why jumping from gun to gun can be painful.

Everyone likely has differing degrees of this "control" and some days it feels like you only have to look at the target and it will explode. I'd guess the big dogs have a lot of days just like that.

Bob Falfa

19. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Is bead checking a BAD thing? 1oz or 1 1/8? What is the best powder and what is the ideal drop i should use? Is gun fit important? Should the Grand be moved to an indoor facility due to the IL humidity? Are the board members of the ATA conspiring to feed the big dogs vs little peons like me? What choke should i use? One eye or 2? Have i left out any question that has been beat to death?

20. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Gary, the point of POI testing at 13 yards (instead of target-distance) is two-fold.

1. You can easily tell where the center of the pattern is. The farther away you are, the harder that is to do; at 40 yards there's a lot of guessing.

2. You are able to take a lot of shots, not just a few or worse, just one to two. When you shoot half a box of shells at 13 yards you will have a range of POI, but some of them you will have noted as "good shots" and they will be mostly in about the same place. Others will be quite a ways away. When you shoot but a shot or two, you don't know if what the paper shows you is a typical result of a deviant one.Converting the 13-yard result to target-distance is easy, but if you do it for a while you won't need to. After all, a gun which shoots high at distance will shoot high up close too.

Neil