1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your club offer 5 stand?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

During a conversation of how setting up a 5 stand would be excepted at our local trap club the question on everybodies mind is..........

Would trap shooters utilize a 5 stand at the trap range if offered?

So Yes or No...does your trap club offer a 5 stand? and if so how did it go over in the beginning?

2. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Yes, and I have never seen a single person use it in the past year.

3. dblell

dblell Member

Our club has
    trap
    skeet
    5 stand
    Skeet and 5 stand get most of the traffic. Only one trap field, and 2 skeet fields, and 1 5 stand. The 5 stand gets a lot of traffic and did right fron the beggining. We have about 14 diff presentions at the 5 stand and just as a note a 25 has never been scored on it. 5 stand about 5 years old now. Seems like most new shooters do trap or 5 stand. Recently more new shooters than a couple of years ago.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

We have 4 combo trap/skeet fields, 1-5 stand field and a 1.25 mile sporting clays course. On week ends they are all packed. All fields except for SC are available for night shooting Tues-Thursday 6-9pm. Mornings look like this at Markham Park in S. Florida

Eric

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Yes it does have a 5 stand-- sporting clays and skeet, the various disciplines do seem to have their own followings, but most of us do shoot the others occasionally. It is a private club but we can bring guests, also hold "open" and registered shoots several times a year. Ross Puls

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

We have a 5 traphouse club. No skeet or Sporting Clays. We took over one end traphouse, put the wobble trap in it, and added 4 Atlas 250 portable traps, and started shooting 5 Stand. We then added a cover, lights, and heat, and shoot all year a round, day or night, rain or shine. We have developed our own group of 5 Stand shooters, with some cross over with the trap shooters. We are busy everytime we are open, which is the same hours as trap. It has been a good addition to our club, and makes money. You do need someone or someones to take responsibility for running things. That would be me and my friend Al. Mark
    [​IMG]

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you are willing to spend time keeping target presentation fresh and machines working, it is worth a try.

If it sits unattended, uncared for, or simply closed, as is often the case at most poorly run clubs, don't waste your money.

8. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Oregunner,
    That hits EXACTLY home here. We have 5 trap houses and 1 skeet that sits on trap 3. I am looking to put a 5 stand on trap 5. Problem is we have die hard trap shooters on the board and are reluctant to interfere with trap. Keep in mind we use to run 27 league teams and are down to 18 now.

We also run a summer 8 week skeet league that has roughly 75-85 shooters. Keep in mind we have about 130 members so the bulk like faster crossing targets. I am hoping by setting up a 5 stand on trap 5 it could run the same time as skeet to see how much interest there would be.

I guess it would just be nice to add another venue to try and promote shooting as a sport since it seems our trap #'s are dwindling.

Some good replies please keep them coming.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We have been toying with the idea of adding a 5 stand course to our club and while most us agree that it would be fun, none of us are convinced we could make it pay.

This is an interesting thread and I hope to see more comments from the guys thaat have made it work.

One question for Mark the Oregunner, are you at the Bend club? I have see photo's of that set up and it is nice!

10. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I am at Roseburg Rod and Gun Club. We started out with portable PVC shooting stands and 4 portable traps, so everything was removeable if needed for a big trap shoot. When we added the cover, I had it set back to the 20 yard line, so we could still use the traphouse for singles and doubles, if needed. So far, 4 traps have been sufficient for any registered shoots and trap league. I change the 5 Stand setup every month to keep a variety, and shooters always look forward to the first of the month to see the new targets. I have been accused of being devious at times. :) Mark
    [​IMG]

11. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

We have a 5stand course & 2 trap presentations, one with wobble. All are equally busy but not completely full. There seems to be little crossover of the serious trap guys. They stick to known speeds and angles. We make money with our 5stand program. Different groups on differing days

12. jim creighton

jim creighton Member

Our club starting shooting 5 stand about 5 years ago-it goes real well-except all the shooters that shot trap sold their trap guns are only shooting skeet & 5 stand now-we haven't had a trap league since.I can understand somewhat they like to b s while they shoot & we trapshooters are to serious (so they say) also most are retired guys & really don't like the competion-they told me that's the way they want it or they will quit shooting alltoghter. So I shoot most of the time by myself or with a couple of buddies from other clubs that come once & awhile.kind of sucks but o well-by the way I don't shoot the skeet or 5 stand leagues because they modifyed the winchester handicap system where you can get scores over 25 without shooting 25.(I won the 5 stand league in 2011 & also the club shoot shoot wich is 50 skeet & 50 5 stand) i'am the only ATA shooter at our club left- we use to have 15 or more 10 years back.O well that's the way it is. Jim

13. Straight99

Straight99 Member

We have 5 trap fields, 2 skeet fields and a 5 stand field with 8 machines that can be moved around. Before we put in the 5 stand we had skeet leagues. After the 5 stand went in the skeet league stopped and a 5 stand league started. Now we only open up 1 skeet field and it is not used very much. The 5 stand is always full. Trap was not hurt but the skeet was. I think we have more 5 stand shooters than we ever had skeet shooters. Now the talk is to put in a clays course also. Things change.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Yes, we have 5-stand, but I seldom see anyone using it. It's more expensive. Maybe the guys just don't want to pay the extra bucks.

15. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Durham County Wildlife in North Carolina checking in. Our 5 stand has turned
    into the big attraction. Though most of the 5-stand shooters are dedicated sporting clays shooters, many wander over from the trap and skeet fields, for the variety. We still hold registered trap and skeet events throughout the year.

I have seen few trap and skeet clubs that haven't already put in a 5-stand.

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Cottage Grove Eugene in Oregon; yes, 5 stand, trap, 2 skeets, and a mile long sporting clays.....breakemall

17. bgf

bgf Active Member

We have about 10 regulars in skeet. After a few rounds of skeet they move to our 5 stand for a round or two...no more. For the cost of the 5 stand, it does not pay...not even close. Our major revenue comes from trap. Trap only takes one machine...or wobble. Trappers shoot both. The cost of 5 stand is way too much for the return.

JMHO,

Bernie

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jim Creighton hit on an interesting point about the guys that are attracted to 5 stand over trap as they prefer a bit less competion.

In my area, we have a large number of guys that are avid bird hunters and they like shooting yet they just don't participate in our trap events. At best you see them once a year or so when they shoot a round or two of practice. As a club we have a lot of discussion on how we could get these people to the club more often - 5 stand might just be the ticket. We don't have enough property for a sporting clays course but 5 stand we could do.

Keep the ideas coming guys ...

19. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Wolfram,
    Our club mirrors your same issues. I am looking for a draw to increase shooters and I believe a 5 stand would be just the ticket. However, our biggest opposition is going to be the scare of "LOSING" trap shooters. Some valid points by several guys here. From what I have read it looks like there will be some shifting with some addtional gain. I am sure we will lose some shooters but I think the overall will go up?

Another question for you guys that did this, did you see much recruitment from other local clubs that didnt offer such things?

We have several small clubs in a 40 mile radius and even are losing our local sporting club as of the end of this month. (lost lease) I believe this just may be the time to try this.

20. SBray

SBray Active Member

himark,

A number of years ago, one of the small local clubs, that only has four traps, placed a five stand off to the side of the trap fields. The five stand is wedged up against the property boundaries so that restricts the target presentation somewhat. With that said, those that are dedicated to the day to day operations are working hard at making sure every shooter enjoys the visit and looks forward to going back. It has a regular bunch of followers that are out there shooting on the two days a week it is open.

The problems can be for a small club is space and dealing with the die hard trap shooters that view any other clay sport as a threat to trap participation.

I have seen those opposed to the five stand constantly looking for reasons why it should be removed from the club. What they can't ignore is that it attracts a steady flow of shooters and brings in revenue. But, there has to be dedicated volunteers willing to do the maintenance and make sure targets are being paid for. Our local club takes care of business and makes sure those requirements are met. Also, they are very friendly to those interested in participation and always strive to improve the club.

What I am trying to say is that, if you have the space and dedication to promoting clay sports, it has the potential of being an asset to your club. I would think that anyone truly interested in clay sports would want as many choices as possible to attract as many customers as possible.

JMHO,

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.