1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your club have barriers that hinder ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sharkie, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharkie

sharkie TS Member

I'm curious as I know a few shooters that are phyically challenged and would like to hear from a wide majority their opinions on if a club or clubs should include these special needed to help with trying to make a better place for all to enjoy . As far a planning before and after work to be performed . I'm seeing alot of barriers that are still there and I'm starting to see some interest with some of the vets that are returning home that lost or gave more than their share. Whats yor opinion should these barriers be removed ? Should they be included with planning or taken in consideration with planning?

2. sharkie

sharkie TS Member

I'm curious as I know a few shooters that are phyically challenged and would like to hear from a wide majority their opinions on if a club or clubs should include these special needed to help with trying to make a better place for all to enjoy . As far a planning before and after work to be performed . I'm seeing alot of barriers that are still there and I'm starting to see some interest with some of the vets that are returning home that lost or gave more than their share. Whats yor opinion should these barriers be removed ? Should they be included with planning or taken in consideration with planning?

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I have a friend who is blind, so I think all clubs should not only be required by law to offer 100% access to the physically challenged, but also to supply targets which beep during flight so that blind people can enjoy trapshooting too. They should also be required to have employees ready to wheel my friend around the premises and help him load his gun.

Or, if the club happens to be located in America, then maybe the owner/managers should be allowed to run their club based on free-market business principles and profitability.

-Gary

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

GW22's opinions aside, Yes, I think as much as possible it should be barrier free.

GW22 apparently would have them all selling pencils on the street corners.

5. larryjk

larryjk Member

YODA100, I used to work for the government in contract administration so I can tell you who ADA applies to; the government. If public money is being used to build something, that something has to comply with ADA rules. Just being a public facility does not mean it has to comply if it is a privately operated club open to the public, as long as no "tax generated" funds were used in the construction thereof.
    Once a project has been contracted in accordance with ADA rules at the time of contracting, it does not have to change in mid contract if the rules change. I had a gal try to stick this one on us.
    Generally, the public fund administrators are very amiable in complying with the ADA rules. However, they don't like to have someone try to cram a new idea down their throat once a contract has been let.
    On private ranges the handicaped will get a hell of a lot more help with sugar than with threats. It really helps to know what a law says before you start threatening people with it.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

All the commercial constructio I worked on for the past 15-20 years has been ADA compliant.

As was our club when we remodeled.

HM

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

A private message I received caused me to review my comment on this post.

I apologize to any disabled individuals I may have offended, especially those who may have been injured while serving our country. That was certainly not my intent.

For the record, I was not trying to be funny. I simply responded, perhaps emotionally, to what initially seemed like yet another way to make running a trap club more costly and more likely to go out of business. I cringe to think what our Big Brother government might consider "access," and what it might cost to provide it.

Sincerely,

Gary

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Group hug, followed by Kumbaya....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.