1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your club have a snap cap policy?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jun 5, 2013.

1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter

Does your club allow or disallow snap caps? I shoot with some guys who encourage other shooters to throw them away because they look so much like a shell it can be confusing. Confusion is one thing we don't want when it comes to whether or not your gun is loaded.

I take my 870 completely apart before I release the tension in the trigger spring. I'll take the little bit of wear, if there is any, which I have not noticed to date.

I'm asking because I'd like to hear what other _clubs_ have to say about this, if they say anything at all.

Joe

2. alf174

alf174 Member

Nothing said at my club and no policy.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Interesting question!

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I believe the rules dictate an ORANGE snap cap if one is used so it is immeaditly known to be a snap cap

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. dls guide

dls guide Member

I use fuzzy wool snap caps in an o/u. I would have an issue with any club telling me I can't use snap caps in my shotgun. Our clubs in MT don't have that many rules. How can they enforce that rule anyhow? I do that in my vehicle when putting gun away. The snap cap police!

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

At our club the gun must be open and empty, or in a case. The snap caps come out as soon as the gun comes out of the case, and are put back in just before putting the gun back in the case. I will talk to someone walking around with a gun loaded with snap caps. Mark

7. AWC

AWC Member

Not allowed at our club,had one go off in the club house. Another club in our county had one go off in their club house also, so did a club in the next county to the west, however it was in the parking lot and the load went into a van.

AWC

8. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Active Member

What I use for a snap cap is a little bar of impacts plastics. Take the barrel off break open gun stick the little bar of impacts plastics by the firing pins and snap it.

Last night a guy seen me using the plastics bar to snap my firing pins and now he like to have one. The impacts plastics is white in color and its a little pricey to get but it works great.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I watched a guy almost shoot a bunch of shooters when he was trying a guys gun with a snap cap in it ... I guess he grabbed the wrong snap cap ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

the benefit (?) doesn't seem remotely worth the potential cost. Wait til you get home and use them in your own house if you have to. First hand knowledge.

Dave Eberhart

11. joe kuhn

Rick in Ohio,

Have you got a reference for that plastic piece you use in place of a snap cap?

Thanks, Joe

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Cut a hockey puck so that it fits flat against the receiver face and it will work just like the plastic described above.

13. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

AWC, how does a snap cap go off? Both of those instances deserve being barred from the clubs thet belong to. How dumb. Open receiver is our policy even on break open guns. Leave the snap caps in your car and dry fire it when u put the gun away in its case is what I do. Had an older fella teaching his grandson how to shoot his 391. Another gent and I joined for a round of singles. The kid got in a hurry and put the shell in backwards and released the bolt. It got jammed off course. After it was apparent the grandfather didnt know how to get the bolt opened I put my gun in the rack and went to help him. But the dumd ars took a fiberglass wad knocker slammed it down the muzzle and set off the shell. Bout soiled my laundry. What was even more amazing is the guy was going to keep using the guy after that. I nixed that notion.

As members its important to police your club and ignore haurting someones feelings when they dont follow the rules

14. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Never heard of snap caps going off :(. Truth is if you DONT use a snap cap what will you use? answer is a spent shell. Whats more likely to be confused? I would say if you are DUMB enough to confuse a snap cap with a live round you deserve to be barred from the club. I mean COME ON when are we going to expect common sense and make people accountable and quit making stupid azz rules for all the masses because of some idiots.

15. mich746

mich746 Member

I was looking for snap caps on E-bay. Somebody is selling snap caps made from spent shells that have the look and weight of live ammo, think they use them to practice Cowboy action shooting.

Bad, Bad idea.

16. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Do you bar the shooter before or after he confuses a live shell as a snap cap and fires the gun (accidently)?

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I guess when I actually see a case of a hammer spring being ruined by leaving it compressed then I might appreciate the value of snap caps.

Seriously Joe - you think the hammer spring on your 870 is weakened by remaining compressed? If that were a remote possibility you would be seeing millions of such failures around the country from all those shotguns that have been stored for decades with compressed springs. Yet we all know of shotguns that have been similarly stored and handed down for generations and yet they still fire perfectly.

18. joe kuhn

It's a small thing I have absolutely no data to back up. I shoot guns that are 30+ years old. I can imagine 30 years of a cocked hammer might weaken the spring and slow the lock time, but I really don't know. Maybe Dennis DeVault can enlighten us. If I remember correctly, his gun goesn't need a snap cap.

19. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hooked: How do you get a shell to go in backwards?

20. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Active Member

joe kuhn

Sorry I can't get any more of it. My father in-laws shop used it all the time but they stop getting it. I think they order it from a place in Dayton, OH just East on Need More Rd off I-75 called Dayton Plastics. I will check and see if they still have any more of it at the shop next week, but I am just about sure they don't have it any more. They used it for bred-do mixer bowl seals. They sold that line and don't make mixer's any more.