1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does WAD type really make a difference?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

There sure are a lot of different WADS out there. Does it really make a difference in which one is used?

Blueraven

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

And there are so many different brightly colored wads also. Kinda like fishing lures.

3. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Oh boy!

Here we go again!

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

as long as they are pink and I can cram them in a hull I shoot them~~~

5. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

if the wads were all the same color it would still make a difference wich is used for each purpose, so yes wad type makes a BIG difference in many subtle ways.

J.F.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . in fact, in most cases, the differences, while BIG, are too subtle to detect without a contract to write about them in a magazine.

Neil

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Do us all a favor and test different wads in YOUR gun to see if there are any differences to you. What works for US may not work for you. The ONLY way your are going to know is do it yourself!

AndyH :-|

8. maka

maka Member

I know you are asking for advice? Lately on this site there has been a tormendence amount of cinnisiom. Wads do make a difference!!! What ever you do get a reloading booklet from your powder mfg. You can get them at your powder dealer. If you don't already? Buy a good scale to check your drops.

PS; Please excuse my spelling!!! Some will rip you for it!!!!!!

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Maka, I don't think you understood the question, I am sure what Blueraven meant was, why buy Fig8 vs Downrange vs. ????? vs the cheapest of cheap As long as you follow the loading data....

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I did extensive testing 2 years ago on 7 different brands of wads... under 1250 fps I fully agree with Neil.. but as the payload gets smaller and you go beyond 1300 fps.. the answer is totally different.. Also.. the floor of a wad.. and many additional things can alter the patterns.. ie.. post wad..concave base of the shot column ...convex base of the shot column... unslit wad walls..

11. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Which do you think makes a difference, a $.01 wad or a $3,000 barrel. If it fits, shoot it.

Tomas

12. maka

maka Member

I realy did not intend to step on anyone's toes. I got the impretion this individual was wondering what is the difference as to what wad he/she purchased or used. I do feel that there is a lot of unnessasry grumbling on this site. Someone earlier started a question as to what might end this site. I feel its the people with negative attitude's against each other that will possibly do it in.

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

maka. First, the site is not going to end. At least now any time soon. Guys say stuff to get a reaction from us old timers that have nothing better to do than huff and puff.

And I think wads do what they are intended on doing... That is to keep the shot together as it travels out the bbl. I am of the personal opinion that if the bore is good, and the choke does it's job, that the pellets will mostly arrive on target as you intended. In other words, trust your FC bbl.

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

There are two types of wads ... one type for straight wall and the other for tapered walled hulls.

Those 2 types are further divided by length, in ourder to accomodate different powder/shot combinations.

At the target end, it doesn't seem to make much difference what brand was used.

15. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Yes, the info that I was looking for is if there was a difference between one Wad and the other of the same application?

For example, does Winchester AA produce any advantage over Downrange?

Blueraven

16. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

Yes..wads do make a differencce especially when you jump from a "big 3" wad to one of the "less Used" wads. The first less know wads I ever used were the Pattern Control wads in the red 1 1/8 ounce and the purple 1 oz wad. They advertised at the time the wads were just like AAs. Best I could tell they were tghe same. The loaded good, sealed like AAs and did a good job. That has chanced over the yearsmwith new moul, different plastic, differeent owners. The came a multitude of wads adveertised as "just like AAs when in fgact they were not. To b e just like a major name wad they would all be the same lenght, same base diamiter, same length shotcup etc. They are not. I guess in the 45 years I have loaded shells I have used everything made..from felt wads andn nitro cards to the latest wad on the market. Winchester made a little short "red wad" designed for their high inner base paper hulls, and later these worked well in the high inner baase Reminton plastic hulls. The did a good job but after WW brought out the yellow 1 1/4 wad, they say now use this wad with loads up to 1 1/2 oz. There is no regard that the short redwad does not over more than 1/3 the shot in the heavy hull. Theere ate scads of wad made by different companies advertised as "substatute for Feraral abc swad...olr for Remington YZX wad. Thing is these replaccement wads are not the same diminsions as the "big 3 wads". Yep you can find some replacement wads that fit your load and hull considering the bulk of your powder, etc. As wads and other components conitue to rise in price we use whats avaliable as a lower price AND wew all wind up with an inferior shell. Not trying to be an epert in reloading....just saying it like is is. Sorry for the lengthy post but after using the different wads and components I think I speak the truth.
    Sincerely.......Stroker

17. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I'm not sure if this wad made much difference. Reported velocity was 100fps.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RGeJjKnWm9o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RGeJjKnWm9o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

MIA- I believe the primary function of the wad is to properly seal the powder as it is burning. Next, it should correctly fill up space in the loaded shell. Protecting the shot as it travels down the barrel is important but that is not the wads primary function.

Pat Ireland

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Pat I agree. the comment wqas hasty. But my "trust the bbl" comment still stands. Foir me at least.

20. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Federal seems to think the wad matters. I was talking to a Federal guy about the wad in their new Prairie Storm shell at a recent show. The wad has little flaps that open up once it leaves the barrel which, I guess, is supposed to infuse some air between the shot pellets before the shot column leaves the wad. Apparently this results in less shot movement and tighter patterns. He used the analogy of rack of balls on a pool table. The tighter the rack the more dispersed the balls get upon the strike of the cue ball. So by the air being infused, it creates a "loose rack" and less dispersion of the shot.

At least that was his story and who am I to argue with a factory rep. I asked him about target loads. He just smiled and said "he couldn't say anything, but wouldn't that be a great 27yd Hcp load".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does the wad stay with shot out of barrel