1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does wad fouling reduce velocity?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

no...it does not

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

if you miss 1 out of 25..........why take the chance???

tony

3. BryceNZ

BryceNZ TS Member

If anything it probably increases velocity !

The greater resistance to the wad and shot moving down the barrel the greater the pressure and the higher the velocity.

I have chronographed a bunch of rifle loads and the first shot on a clean barrel is always slower. Barrel is clean with slight residual oil so has a little less friction to overcome. The velocity will come to normal in just a shot or two as the burning powder heat creates a perfectly dry barrel with a little powder fouling.

Also the use of moly (dry lubricant) on bullets reduces the friction and reduces the pressure and velocity as a result. WIth dry lubricated bullets you need to add powder just to get back to the original velocity with the same bullet without lubricant.

That may seem counter intuitive but it is true and shot shells follow the same basic ballistic behavior.

Missing 1 shot out of 25 ?? The velocity change due to even the most severe fouling will have no bearing on hitting that 1 target ! In fact the velocity change due to fouling is highly likely less than the normal velocity variation between individual shots.

Bryce

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

with a shotgun I dont't think the velocity does anything but make you think your are crushing targets.........does fouling mess with the pattern???.......not if you are on, but the 1 out of 25???

tony

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I had a Korean cheap hammer-gun I bought because the bore was so bad. It looked knurled and felt like it with a bore gauge: crunch, grind, crackle as I drew the gauge through the bore. I honed and polished it til it matched the best of anything I had, but the shot-speed it produced was not changed. Since then I've pretty-much discarded theories of the effect of bore finish on shot-speed.

Neil

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I believe that the shot is happier traveling down a nice smooth barrel and happy shot produce a better pattern.

Pat Ireland

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'll buy the happy shot theory.

Along those lines, who doesn't like dropping a perfectly loaded shell in a nice shiney tube and calling pull? And if your mind is happy you will shoot better so yes there are benefits to cleaning your shotgun barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.