1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Trapshooting Hurt one Physically?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

My wife, who is quite attuned and interested in health-related issues, is convinced that trapshooting will eventually hurt the body. By that, she says that carpal tunnel, arthritis, joint damage not only may occur due to the repetition, but will occur.

I disagree; my opinion is that with a properly fitted gun and target loads, shotgunning puts a lot less wear and tear on the body compared to so many other sports such as golf, tennis, bowling, offroad motorcycling, mountain biking, etc.

Any Dr.'s/Medical professionals out there? Now I'm curious..

2. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

To the contrary. Not trap shooting is one of the leading causes of legarthy,unhappiness and premature death in the US.
    Hope this helps.

Mark

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks Mark. My wife is serious; shooting her auto loading Beretta even with 1 oz. loads hurts and tires her. She has weak shoulder joints due to...swimming to get healthy!

I do know of cases that ill-fitting guns have caused some scar tissue problems in the face; I believe I read about one case that required minor surgery. Way back when the Model 12 was king..believe it was in Art Blatt's classic book.

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I suffer aches and pains from what my line of work is. Carpal tunnel, arthritis, rotator cuff, whatever, but go back to the grind everyday. It's worse in winter. My case is not special and I may be typical to many trapshooters. I shoot clays to get away from the everyday BS. Never heard of clays killing anyone.

There is always other hobbies and activities.

But, I do wish your wife the best. She doesn't deserve it. It's hell do deal with some of this stuff. Does her issues exist in one season more than another?

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hurts the ladies too. Makes their knees stick together.

HM

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

I've been in health care for over 15 years. True.

Trapshooting has been found in many double-blind studies to benefit general health and well being. Buying a new gun every 12 months only adds to the benefit. Not selling the old gun, obviously, doubles the benefit.

capvan

7. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Only hurts when I hit my head against the wall following a frustrating round. Seriously, I took this sport up due to a serious wrist injury that ended my golfing days. I can shoot a 12 gauge all day, but can't swing a 7 iron. Right now I'm dealing with a sore elbow that I suspect comes from shooting Remington Nitro loads all fall with a poorly fitted gun. A Spolar and a new gun cured the ills.

Hal Hitchcock

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Hal, I hope you're right I'm in a half hearted search for a new skeet gun and after I buy it I hope the aches and pains just subside alittle and I'll be happy.

9. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Hurts the EGO at times. LOL

10. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Many will loose a portion of their hearing (not sure if it is physical damage or not). I see shooters and scorers without adequate hearing protection all the time (especially scorers). Problem is, it occurs slowly and by the time one realizes, the damage is done and it cannot be undone!

11. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Chango2. I do think that trap shooting will speed the loss of hearing especially if the proper ear protection isn't used one hundred per cent of the time. Post-2

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The only thing trap shooting has hurt with me, is my bank account. My butt usually doesn't hurt from setting because my wallet is so thin.:)

Before I got wise to having a gun that "fit" fatigue would start setting in after a couple of hundred shells. Now I can shoot 400 without much in the way of discomfort. I wouldn't want to shoot heavy handicap shells all day, but a couple of hundred isn't bad.

ss

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

That's right skeeter, obviously trapshooting does not hurt the shooters' appetites.

14. yansica1

yansica1 Member

Shooting can eventually damage your hearing even with ear protection. However, I believe you are leaning more towards the recoil related issues? The short answer is yes it can. One of the reasons why we in the UK were switched over to 28 gram v 32 grams loads was that repeated recoil from the heavier hot loads was causing some shoulder damage particularly amongst youngsters and women.

Many believe that a well fitted gun solves recoil problems; this is only partly correct. In fact you could almost argue that a poorly fitted gun is less likely to do permanent damage as the shooter is highly unlikely to put up with the unsubtle recoil for very long. A well fitted gun will still recoil-and that will still be transmitted through the body, most noticeably the shoulder and certainly the head; the latter explains gun induced headaches which are not rare.

The way to avoid this damage is to find ones recoil tolerance level and to not exceed it. Heavy gun, recoil reduction devices and sensible loads are a sound recipe.

15. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I read a story where a guy had a bad golf shot, smacked the golf cart with his driver, the head broke off came back and stuck in his neck....killed him.

never saw anyone swing their gun at anything after a bad shot.

tony

16. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

well in my wife's opinion most large shoots look like weight watcher conventions. anytime i get together with trapshooters it reminds me of when i was in the army at fort sill oklahoma, the artillery divison. most shooters i know have lost hearing. we lift 8 to 10 lbs constintly while we shoot, we do a good amount of walking from trap to trap. at large tournaments we walk alot up and down venders row.
    steve balistreri

17. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

I most definetly am hurt mentally after a bad 100 targets, it makes me think too hard, But not physically hurt. Try shooting 250-300 targets by yourself, it will make you sore but, it's not going to kill you.

Tony Fortino

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

'Twas wife's idea to buy a gun to try it out. She picked out a great gun that does not bang her in the face, but she feels "headachy" after shooting 75 rounds or so. She just doesn't like the assault to the senses, so to speak. I don't push her to shoot at all.

Last weekend, we both attended a trapshoot. During the last event, she took off to go sightseeing. When she came back, she learned I'd shot my best score of the four events I entered. She smiled and said: "Oh, you shoot best when I'm gone!"...

Actually, I think she'd do just fine and better than I were she motivated. She has better eyes and better coordination than I. She's just a bit into it hardly at all. Gives me an excuse to get her a small bore skeet gun.

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The only thing Trap shooting hurts is, the EGO..........

20. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Trap shooting is very damaging to one's ego. One day a 99 -- the next week an 89. Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.