1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does trap shooter use higher stock even in field ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Does a typical trap shooter prefer a higher stock, i.e., a higher point of impact, in his field gun, i.e., his pheasant or quail gun, than does either a non-clay-target shooter or a skeet or 5-stand shoooter ?

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

All my shotguns that I us have trap stock configurations. This includes field, sportin n even skeet. Many of the guns now have adjustable combs ( got tired of cutting up t shirts) and bent barrels. Even a four teen that I use. Minimum poi is 8".

3. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Yes, I use higher POI on all my guns. Trap and hunting.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Absolutely. After trying various shotguns, I found that I had real issues with varying POI and feel of different guns. So I decided to stick with one type (mainly 1187) and make them all as similar as possible for both target use and field use. This eliminates a variable that was causing misses when guns were switched.

I have monte carlo stocks on all of my Remingtons, mostly 1187s, including the camo field guns. All shoot to the same POI, though the really short 21" barrels shoot a little higher. I even altered a 12ga monte carlo stock to fit my 1187 20ga. If I wanted an 870, I'd put a monte carlo stock on it as well.

This means I don't have to think about the POI. Any of my shotguns can pinch hit for the others. The trap gun, though overly heavy, can be taken afield if I wish. The camo field gun can be used as a backup for trap, though I've used it more for sporting clays.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

An absolute must for me! I've got another 870 field stock very similar to this one laying around somewhere if anyone's interested.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view┬Ąt=DSCN0269.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Funny you should ask. I just purchased a trap stock for my 870 field gun. After determining that I could not hit the barn door, from 20 yds. away, I decided to go that route. Unfortunately, this is the first gun I have ever owned. It obviously has not fit me correctly from the start, 35 years, as my misses outnumber the hits, 9 to 1. LOL

You should have seen the look on the guys faces at the Skeet range, when I shot a 23 using my Citori Trap, with Monte Carlo Stock, and 32" barrels. Especially when I told them it was my first time shooting Skeet, and these where some seasoned shooters, I might add. Never had a chance at the last bird. LOL

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Buy a Win SX3---Field stock will give you 14" high POI @ 40 yds---I mentioned before that we at my hunting club have 6 Win SX3s----All shoot the same POI---Call Win and they claim they were set up that way----2 guys now have put HI-VIZ front sights and it came down---A lot cheaper than a new stock--The SX3 is a great gun-----George@SJB

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I shoot a higher POI for ATA trap. My POI for hunting, Sporting, 5-stand and the occasional round of Skeet is between 4 and 5" high at 40 yards.

9. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

WOW, thought I was the only one. Trap has caused me to shoot a higher poi at everything, skeet, sporting, bunker and maybe even the toilet. Here is the funny thing to me, at first 60/40 or 70/30 was great for trap and too high for anything else. Now my guns are at or over 100%. didn't happen all at once and not the results of the patterning board. I just kept adjusting to find that "sweet spot" and had no idea how much I had changed till I took my daughter to the board to check "left to right" alignment and decided to shoot my guns. boy was I supprised, dead center and 5 1/2" to 7" high at 13 yards. Jack

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I always want to see my doves and pheasants...

Jay

11. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

I would say most do. Brad

12. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I am finding that I shoot more 5 Stand and skeet than trap, and I have gone the other way. I find that I score better shooting a flatter sight picture at trap, as I am used to shooting it at the other venues. About 60/40 for everything. Mark

13. SX12

SX12 Member

I have always found myself sighting down the side of the barrel rather than over the top, if the stock/poi was not high enough on a field/skeet dimension stock. I have no idea why unless it was the unconscious mind knowing where the gun shot and trying to adjust to see the target better. I could shoot ok this way however.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone else ever experienced this. The wierd thing is that this was a natural reaction

SX12

14. seitz647

seitz647 Member

I do not - trap is the only game that I shoot with gun mounted and feel that a different fit is required for it - everything else is low gun - move, mount, shoot - with gun mounted more to the side of the face, not buried on my cheek bone - yah dont walk around the woods with gun on your face - field guns - thers only one SXS - they tend to shoot a little high anyway - works for me, others may be different- Thanks JM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.