1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does this stock need high gloss or oiled look?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by turmite, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turmite

turmite Member

I am almost to the point of doing the final hand work on this finish, and the customer doesn't know if he want's high gloss or a hand rubbed satin (oil look)
    finish. What say you?

Mike

<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q188/turmite/?action=view&current=391-1.jpg" target="_blank"> 391-1.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q188/turmite/?action=view&current=391-2.jpg" target="_blank"> 391-2.jpg </a>

2. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I'd break the gloss unless it is a painted type finish. If it is clear paint (spray on)it will probably look best glossy

Plus it will look alot better when the checkering is done, as it will break up the gloss finish so it is not so overwhelming.

The wood is nice.

I personally am a big fan of the oil type finish so that's what I'd want if it was mine. You can easily touch up an oil finish. Clear spray on coatings are a different story.

Randy

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

either

the layout of the grip might be a problem- should think about glass bedding

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Guy

Guy Member

Genes right....whoever laid out this blank needs to be slapped. Claro blanks laid out properly surely cost little more than this one....sorry.

5. turmite

turmite Member

Thanks guys. I don't know who would take the slapping since I sent the stock off for machining. I know it did have a defect in it and honestly it has been so long ago I can remember. The wrist is not cut like a factory 391 as the stock is not designed to be adjustable for drop or cast using the plastic shims. There is lots of wood around a 9/16" - 5/8" hole.

Either way, the question was about the finish. This is a sprayed auto urethane and I can still give it that hand rubbed oil finish with some rubbing oil, pumice and good block.

I personally like the hand rubbed oil look, but I am just trying to get some feedback for the customer.

Mike

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I like oil but I've seen some of Browning's factory oil finishes that got muddy looking over time. That wood deserves whatever will best make the details and color stand out, but it still has to be be repairable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.