1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DOES THIS FEE SEEM EXCESSIVE??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    my sister inlaw told me her father's basement backed up during a winter storm. there was 4 inches of standing water. during the winter months he lives in texas. she called him and he offered to return home to help on the clean up. she said no need, she would take care of it. she called a national known clean up company. they worked from from 12 noon to 7pm, left 3 large fans to help dry the place, turned up the heat to 80 degress for 3 days. they took out the basement carpet and all the furniture and placed everything in the garage. the bill was $6,000.00. sounds awful high to me. there were 2 guys working. what do you think, did they over charge?
    steve balistreri

2. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Steve,I think I would have asked for a bid on it first.

If she called and said come do the job,she handed them a blank check.

As for your question,yes,she was way over charged for 14 hours work as far as I see it.

Bo

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Rediculous, thats all I can say ... Whats the name of the company so no one else gets taken by them in the future ..? The bill should of been a around $1,000 and thats because she was in a bind and needed it yesterday ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Did they have to follow hazardous material regulations because of stuff stored in the basement?

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Most "service" companies now days work on the "rape, loot and pillage" business model. They hit you once very hard, knowing most will pay it, and don't care if they never hear from you again because there's another victim just down the road. This is what pays for all those half and full and even two page yellow pages ads that sucker people in. They hire people who are willing to follow that business model. As the price tag for service has gone up, the knowledge and abilities of the people who show up has gone down in equal proportion. After all, they aren't there to solve your problem, they are there to make money. Who needs to actually know what they're doing when their only purpose is to generate large volumes of cash? As the government intereference in the marketplace (permits, fees, licences, taxes, paperwork, OSHA, etc.)has driven honest small business people out of the marketplace, the void has been filled by rip off artists.

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Got to ask for labor rates before you let them start. Did they use any of their equipment? You can still negotiate if you have not paid them in full.

7. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Sounds about like the Quick lube places to me.

Wife had her oil changed at one of these.

When she paid the bill they had a notice, bad battery replace at once.

Manager said your battery is bad.

She came home and gave me the bill she paid.

Make a long story short.I had the battery checked at three places.

Full charge,good battery.

Bo

8. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

One she should have asked for a price first and at the same time have said OH I HAVE TO HAVE THREE BIDS AND YOUR NUMBER 3. That way he does not know who placed bids before him or if there are really any at all. Makes him a little more honest. Not saying anything against woman but I have seen people take advantage over them with such things. Auto included. To one and all teach your wife, daughter alittle about counter offers, how to get prices, how to place bids and to just work the system. Teach them also to do their home work on problems.

My parents when I was a kid were fixing up the basement for a playroom and party room. We needed to order cement and my mother placed the order. She read off what she wanted and the sales person kept saying NO YOU DON'T NEED THAT. He said that each time she said what she wanted. The last thing she said was I WANT A 2" PLOP. That meant you take your fingers and pick up some cement you flick it on a board and it should be 2" high. There was silence at his end of the phone and he finaly said YES Mrs SO AND SO. My mothers father was a engineer and told her what she need in the cement. She got what she wanted. The saleman from there on out just said yes when ever she asked for something.

And yes that was a very high price for what was done in the time frame it was done.

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Wow, I'm disappointed that all the usual TS.com "It's worth whatever the customer will agree to pay" free-marketeers are still asleep today.

But I agree...teach all the women in the family about "3 Bids," counter-offers, etc. They just want it done, and the jobbers know that. The time to be contentious about money is BEFORE, not after the job is done.

There are "Two Prices;" the first price is the price they quote to panicked solitary female customers, the second price is the one they quote to be competitive. Letting them know you are bidding the job lets them know you want the "second price" (or at least allows the noncompetitive aholes to excuse themselves from the process).

"Well, I'm not giving them any repeat business!" Uh, who cares? These guys aren't hair salons; they don't operate on "repeat business." Like wireguy says, they're off down the road to the next Yellow-Pages divorced female victim.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

2" plop ..? what the hell is a 2" plop ... Its called a 2" slump, not plop ... The way the slump is determined with concrete is you fill a 15 inch cone with concrete and use a piece of rerod to churn the concrete in the cone so its packed really good and then wait 2 minutes and remove the cone ... If the concrete is a 2" slump it will drop 2" from the top of where it was at the top of the cone ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Buzzy,,,,I am one of those free marketeers,,,,doesn't sound like a "free" market here,,,,she called one and used them,,,,_without_ checking around,,,,in a free market, she would have found someone cheaper and used them,,,,

12. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

WPT, my grandfather worked in NY and back then it was the 1920 through 1960. What they said then and what they say now can be two differant sayings.

13. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Who buys anything with asking "how much" first?

14. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

ysr, I ask "how much" first,,,,,,,,,,,, who wouldn't?

15. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

that is the way they work. I had the same think happen. Most of them bill the insurance company and get paid by them. No questions asked. They change by the hour for the running of the equipment, fans etc. They tell you that are certified by all associations. They also know that you can't get anyone else at a moments notice. you could get the fans at home depot for rent and get your friends to bring over a pump and pull up the carpet but most of can not find those type of friends immediately. Ask for a negotiation on the price. many times they will adjust the bill or tell them it is out of line and to sue you. Motordoc

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

WPT / Must have been one of your fave JAP companies I think! Oh yeah I forgot you just love the JAPS don't you?

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Haskins Bill,

I love everybody but especially love those Korean and Jap vehicles ... Notice they are not in the line for bailout money and seem to get along just fine with the plants they have in America with Americans making a reasonable wage to be able to support their familys unlike the The Big 3 who claim to be American made and are not ... You betcha and if it wasn't for them you would be walking around naked ... Check the tags in your wardrobe and see what you got in there and you will be surprised ... I rest my case ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

…yet another truly moving episode.

19. white rattler

white rattler Member

Steve, you are one joke after another. It just never ends with you. Trevor Dawe.

20. roscoeparker

roscoeparker Member

Just went through the same thing about 2 weeks ago had over 2,000 gals in sub basement, local company through insurance and the cost was around $1,800.00 had fans and dehumidifier for 3 days. they did a great job. called service master.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.