1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the ammo make a difference??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

This question is actually running on another board (for all shotgun sports) but thought it would be interesting to get opinions here:

I've been shooting Federals and Remingtons, mostly 1oz 8's, because they are the lowest cost. Lately I've been paying $49.90 a flat.
    Can any misses be chalked up to inconsistency in ammo...hey I miss but so do the shooters who buy the premium product. Personally I just assume that's always the reason:) Dang cheap shells!
    Do most spend more $ just to get the better quality hull for reloads or other reasons?

Chuck

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I've seen many shooters run 100 straight with Walmart ammo and shoot mediocre with AA's & STS.

Eric

3. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I have never found off the shelf ammo that does not perform. Except for some Eley 28GA.

Ronbo

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I shot a 99 using a mix of shells: new STS, new Federal Gold, new Winchester AA, and some Winchester and STS reloads, all of different velocities and shot size. The miss was a AA reload. It wasn't the shell...

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I like premo shells, and I also reload them. Shoot some patterns, you will see the differance from 40 yards between premo and el cheapo.

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

For a long time I thought the cheap shell would not do the job . But now with the high cost I,v tryed some Rem Gun Clubs and Estates . I can,t see any difference for singles and I see alot of shooters shooting handicap with them . I shoot all 1.1/8oz 1200 fps

ALF

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

What other board is that, Chuck? I'd like to see what they think.

Neil

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Made the 27 and ran 200 with Walmart Federals.

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

The answer is most often no ammo does not make a real difference. There is an exception. There used to be ammo maker north of Atlanta that sold me some defective ammo. The whole flat was poopers. This is the exception however. The maker is out of business as I understand.

TB

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Yes. As such,I would recommend staying with the Federal cheappies for any long distance shooting with regards to my experience.

11. 100straight

100straight Member

Mostly the Indian, and not so much the arrow.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

12. BBowen

BBowen Member

we have disassembled 100s of shells of all varieties and checked both the powder and shot for weight and for shot, the count.

estate shells are consistently short on the shot count. we have checked some that are 100 pellets short. also, with estate shells, it doesn't seem to make a difference whether you buy 7 1/2, 8 or 9 shells, they all have the same shot which is a mix from number 11 to number 7. the shot weight is usually pretty close to what is marked on the shell.

in our experience, remingtons are consistently the best as far as powder weight and shot count and quality.

i dislike the three piece hull on AA shells and i think there is a possiblility for the base wad to separate. AA shells are pretty good for shot count and quality.

does shell quality make a difference? i think you need to give yourself every advantage you can. crooked arrows make for hungry indians.

bruce bowen www.bbguns.net

13. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Does the brand of shell matter?

Not to the target.

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I just cut a new Estate up and this is what I found .

12ga--2.3/4dr.-- 1.1/8 oz.--7.1/2,s
    Shot 488gr. short by 4 gr. The shot should be 7.1/2,s but close to 9,s
    Powder 17.6gr. of some thing .

Well I guess it was short on shot if 4gr. really makes a difference . The Powder was a dark Gray crap ?????

ALF

15. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

When I'm shooting 27yrd hdcp I prefer to use Rem Nitro 27s with 1 1/8 oz of 7.5 shot. When I switch to Estates I need to increase the choke by .05 thou to get the same smoke.

Cheers

Gavin

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A cheap knife can still cut deep.

17. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Singles cheap shells + no difference Handicap cheap shells + Little difference . I agree with Gavin Cheap shells more choke

18. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

You still get there ?? Zar The biggest difference is between your ears .

19. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I've never found anything wrong with the Estate shells and I've cut open a bunch of them. The shot size has always been pretty close to what is marked on the shell, and everything else has checked out allright too.

The Estates shoot just fine too. Of course, I've only shot about 40 flats of them, so maybe I haven't shot enough for the problems to show up.

20. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Zar Could be ?? If a company was giving me shells I would shoot the good stuff to . I think two or three of the big dogs are shooting the OFF brand shell . All I really know is last Saturday I a low B class shooter broke a 100 singles with cheap shells .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.