1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Speed Matter?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hunter44, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I normally load my shells to produce approx. 1200 fps or maybe a little more. I recently shot some Remington factory loads that were low recoil at 1100 fps. I liked them & did well with them at 23 yds. I would be interested in opinions about just what the "proper" speed is for singles & caps. Does it really make much difference?

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have dropped all my reloads into the 1145ish range. I just seem to shoot better with them im back to 21yards. I loaded up a lot of winchester low noise low recoil duplicates for the wife. I found myself likeing those alot from 16.
    The only thing I keep up into the 1200fps is my 7/8 loads for sporting clays. I use 7/8 just to conserve lead when fun shooting.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Only if you think it does.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Only size matters.

5. hunter44

I picked up a case of shells to use at the MO state shoot & didn't realize until I got back home that they were soft recoil 1100 fps. I only shot caps with them & the only difference that I could tell from my regular 1225 fps. load was softer recoil. Can anyone tell me what is gained by using faster loads, except more recoil?

6. hunter44

Thanks, flincher100, that's exactly the way I see it also. One can still use 1 1/8 oz. & slow the speed to 1100 or even less & still have a very effective load.

Can someone tell me what the difference in inches the lead would be for a 25 degree target using say a 1050 fps. load vrs. one loaded at 1200 fps. If the difference is very small then why (other than very few factory shells are available) don't we all use slower, softer recoiling loads?

7. hunter44

I guess I just never thought of any shooter wanting to absorb more recoil than was necessary to get the job done. Hey, if you like it that's great with me......knock yourself out.

8. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

It probably doesn't make a difference is the hit is centered, but one of the things that a higher-speed load will do is to increase the energy of each pellet downrange. This may be the difference in turning a marginal hit by only a few pellets from a glancing strike into a chip... "lost" vs "dead".

Lister

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Sounds like Hunter44 already has his mind made up and is looking for friends. Let's start the debate over 1100 fps vs 1250 fps. Horse pucky, I'll go with the Big Boys and shoot 1250, 1 1/8, let me know when you reach the winners circle. I don't care what you say I can tell the difference in speed shooting at 27 yds. No I don't get beat up by recoil - gun fits(K80) - shoot PB powder or Nitro 27 loads.

Don

10. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

IMO, speed doesn't matter for singles. No need to be faster than 1150 fps, and no slower than 1000 fps. Handicap? Well, IMO the only handicap loads is 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2. Now, you can break targets at the 27 with loads going 1150 fps, you can break 'em at the 20 with loads goin 1250 fps. Comfort is what's most important, sticking with a loads, and building your timing around it.

~Michael

11. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

There was a thread on here a couple of months ago, started by Phil Kiner, with hia proposals to "fix" the handicap system.One of the proposals was a cap on shell speeds that would eliminate the super handicap loads. He, and most of the other top shooters, use them in #7.5 shot size for 27-yard handicap. I suspect that if he and they did not feel the hot shells make a difference, they would not be shooting them.

12. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

The faster you push shot, the faster it slows down.

From the same logic that hot water freezes faster tan cold. LOL

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

It definitely matters for long shots. In Europe, where very long Sporting Clays shots are the norm, 1400fps loads are commonplace.

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I think QuackShot nailed it early on... it only makes difference if you think it does. If its working for you, keeping using/duplicating it...

regards to all,

Jay Spitz

15. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

If you don't think speed makes a differents try shooting Bunker Trap with Trap loads. From 21 or 23 yards it makes little difference what you shoot in American Trap. You will never make the long yardage lines shooting competitive scores against good long yardage shooters is my bet. You may win at small local shoots against local shooters with out much experience or skill but not at the bigger shoots. Having said all this I do know a very good shooter who shoots lite loads from the 27 yard line but his shooting skill and speed are much better than most of us. When I was in my thirties I made the 27 yard line with 1145 fps loads but my reflec and eye sight were much better than it is now. I can still shoot 1145 for a good score on a wind free day with good birds but not day to day. Shoot what your comfortable with and accept the results. If your playing the money good luck. Post-2

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jerry,

I don't like cooked spinach, but its OK in a salad.

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I'll have to put in with BIGDON on this one. I can definately tell the difference between a 1145fps load and a 1250fps load from the 27. The 1145 load is like in slow motion compared to the 1250. That being said, I do shoot the 1145 from the 16 and the first shot on doubles. Second shot on doubles is my handicap load...... Just my opinion.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

18. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

A lot of trapshooters use 8 shot. 7 1/2's at 1100 are about the same energy as 8's at 1200 with a lot less recoil. Recoil does take it's toll and can cause you to miss. I just went to a 1 ounce load at 1200 fps in sporting clays to reduce recoil. I smashed the long range targets as well as I ever did before. Another option would be to stick with the 1 1/8 ounce load but drop the speed down as you did. It isn't much fun shooting if you are getting pounded by recoil. The difference in lead isn't enough to matter, especially with the small angles you are shooting in trap.

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'm with BigDon.. and Trap2 on this one.. When one talking about a second.. That's a VERY long time.. Long yardage.. it's the difference between

Pull..break.................................or Pull.................................................................break.. That milli second or fraction there of.. I'm to slow and to stupid to notice.. my brain however can quickly see the difference..and then it starts screwing with me.. and my timing.. Also.. on a hard left or right falling bunker target.. second shot.. 1150 fps.. NOT...

20. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I can feel the difference in lead between a real fast load and a real slow load in skeet but you quickly adjust after a few rounds. You wouldn't want to make the change right before a registered shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.